New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

@Allquest It’s a bit more work, but as an alternative, you can always type “ni” and “lyu.” Typing a lower case “l” before an vowels, constructions of “y,” and “tsu” will make them small. It’s definitely easier to just type “nyuu” in this case, but if you like drilling yourself on typing “ni” or just do it faster than you think, that’s always an alternative. Never hurts to have more weapons at your disposal. :wink:

Likewise, you’ll end up need to use the small tsu at some point if you haven’t already. That can be accomplished by either typing a consonant twice like “zutto” or you can type “zu ltsu to.” I usually do the former, but for words like “onna,” triple typing the “n” annoying me too much (since you have to press n twice for ん before an “n” construction.

Hi EiriMatsu,

I use the wanikani “keyboard” by pressing on the “bi” icon just under the answer input.
There is still a thing I don’t understand, when I use my true keyboard, sometimes it output hiragana, sometimes katakana… Do you know why please? :slight_smile:

And thank you very much for those useful information!

Has anything been changed in lvl 40 lately? I can’t seem to find any relevant updates.
The reason I’m asking is because I remember 40 is supposed to be a fast level with only 3 radicals.
But I did all my lessons (radical and kanji) and still have 4 instead of 3 locked kanji, which would put the second batch of kanji over 10%, which means it’s not a fast level anymore.
Am I missing something here?

Are you using Microsoft IME with a standard American (or non-Japanese, I suppose if you’re not American!) keyboard? If so, you may need to check the options of it. You may have a strange button set to switch between Hiragana and Katakana. Otherwise, I’m not sure. I used to have problems with my keyboard switching between romaji and hiragana, but never problems with spontaneous katakan. If you’re using a Japanese keyboard, there are usually keys that are auto-paired with the IME to switch your character type so you don’t have to mess with anything on your toolbar.

Although note that WaniKani now has an integrated IME, so your keyboard should automatically input hiragana when you type in the answer box when it is looking for a reading.

@gzovak Are you certain level 40 is a fast level? The number of radicals has nothing to do with whether a level is fast or not; it’s the number of radical-locked kanji. From what I see, there are indeed 4 locked kanji in the level with less than 40 total kanji, meaning it would not be a fast level.

2 Likes

When you input capital letters, it will output katakana instead of hiragana. I think you should check that you don’t have caps lock on.

3 Likes

40 has never been a short level, to my knowledge. It’s 26, 46, 48-60, off the top of my head.

1 Like

It’s exactly that, capital letter! Thank you so much!

@EiriMatsu thank you for the explanation ^^

If you hit shift or have caps lock on, it converts automatically to katakana. Caps=katakana. So even if you’re in the habit of typing with a capital for the beginning of sentences, stop. Japanese isn’t English, so you don’t need them.

Example:
nihongo にほんご
Nihongo ニほんご
neko ねこ
Neko ネこ

See how weird that is? Japanese like to use katakana for EMPHASIS just like how I did that (in addition to it being “cooler” sometimes) as well as it primarily being for loanwords. But to mix hiragana and katakana in the same word is weird - I’ve never seen it except for when I used to make the same mistake!

1 Like

It depends on your system. Mine only works with shift, it doesn’t recognize the caps lock. :frowning:

1 Like

yeah, mac doesn’t seem to matter about caps (unless you turn that on in settings)
you can change what it does (you can set it to romaji input when on, or katakana input)

also, just gonna say that re: OP - I like to double press any consonant to get the small っ but then you have to delete the letter when it shows up (i know you can type xtu but i find tt-backspace is easier hahaha ohhh this is only when i want to end with a small っ btw, i don’t delete the consonant if it’s part of a word)

I have an actual question though

who uses われ?as in “I/me”.
I see it sometimes in manga and am not really sure what position the people are in that say it.
我々(われわれ)is also used to mean “we”, and I think it is more common
I quite like, and want to use, both of these forms, but don’t know if it will sound weird if I did…

You will sound weird if you use われ, and unless it’s a formal situation I think われわれ will also sound a bit strange, when compared to something like 私たち.

1 Like

that’s a pity haha

I just want to add to the IME front…
“thi” = てぃ
seriously mind blown, i’ve been typing texi this whole time, wasting a character like a chump!!!

1 Like

Yes, I saw the problem… I use to use Wanikani in the subway with my android phone, and you know the automatical correction… It adds a capital for the first letter, that was my problem. Thank you for the additional information tho !

2 Likes

Hello, quick question: What is a userscript?

A userscript is a script (as in javascript script) provided by third-party users. It is based on a browser add-on like Tampermonkey.

In a userscript there is a list of websites it can modify (for example www.wanikani.com/*). When you visit a page from that site the script is executed. The userscript can access many things on the webpage like URL, content, and can also change the page you are looking at. This way you can automatically change the pages in a certain way. A very simple script could change the background color or the page title. Many userscripts for wanikani add new functionality to WKs pages that are not provided by WK itself, like ignoring wrong answers or displaying additional information.

You can check the available scripts here:

1 Like

I’m just starting to use HouHou for the first time for vocab outside of WK and I’m kind of confused as to what the “tags” are for on an item? Can anyone please explain?

You can tag them however you wish, to make your own groups of vocabulary - that is how I understand it, at least. I have tags for words (and kanji) I’ve specifically looked up from The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, for instance.

Probably to search for just those/modify them easier.

Oh ok, so it’s more for organization of my items. That makes sense. Thanks!

I had a quick question about the way the review/quiz system ‘grades’ you and if there were some inconsistencies. For example; I was told I had answered the one radical wrong for the reading “Ground” but it turns out that I had just missed the capitalization, entering “ground” instead. Should capitalization actually matter in these situations…? For what it’s worth, I added a synonym with the lower-cased spelling, but it doesn’t appear to have done anything in the reviews.