New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Hello there, I have a problem with my first kanji lesson. When I am trying to enter on’yomi readings of kani “big” (大) - たい, だい (exactly them, for sure I wrote em correctly, precisely like here). I copied them numerous times, tried different order, but still got the “false” answer. Any suggestions?

Just choose one answer. You don’t need to use all of them.

Thank you! Much appreciated.

Yeah, in those cases you can only insert 1 reading. Write more than that and you’ll get it wrong. I normally change the readings between sessions :slight_smile:

Hello :slight_smile: this may be a really stupid question…

I don’t understand why some kanji has a word that is different to the same kanji under vocab…? Can someone please explain to me >_< I tend to remember one, or both… but then get confused at which word is for the kanji and which word is for the vocab… hmm.

Any advice would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Kanji can have several meanings which don’t always seem to be related. That’s just how it is. Of course there is a reason for it, but it’s historical rather than logical in nature.

This is a bit early level, but later on synonyms might help here: most kanji will accept their vocab meaning, but there are probably some that don’t that you feel should.

This is especially true of radicals, you may eventually want to add synonyms for some of the weirder radicals ; 母is a common one to change to add ‘mother’ to the meanings, since no on will remember ‘drawer’ after 6 months.

Will lessons for vocab pop up or do i have to find them some other way?

you have to wait till you have the first radicals and kanji to guru level. It will take a few days of just reviewing the radicals and kanji.

It kinda turns me away when this site use menmonics that only people from the United States understand. This is the reason why I make my own mnemonics 95% of the time.

I’m not from the US and I haven’t had a problem with any of the mnemonics :thinking:

1 Like

wanikani is cursed by its own popularity. They probably started off with a target market of the US. It is popular in so many other countries now. It is not surprising that some of the cultural references are not making sense. If one mnemonic makes no sense to me, I make up something which is more relevant to my own upbringing and culture.

3 Likes

They’re actually working on replacing a lot of the cultural references, though not all.

Hyperbole much? I would say “specifically American” stuff comes up maybe 1% of the time, with non-obvious reading mnemonics and cultural references. Some mnemonics are less useful because of it, I cannot really relate to Charlie Sheen so I need lots of new kanji mnemonics. It’s not all over the place.

1 Like

I’m from North America and I don’t use mnemonics period 90% of the time…

Oh? That’s the first I’ve heard of that.

I’ve known there was going to be an overhaul to go along with the overhaul of the radicals, however I wasn’t expecting that.

I don’t remember where I first heard that… it’s been a while.

Fair enough. Sometimes Kristen gives us good news in all sorts of weird threads, one little tidbit at a time. *smiles*

Like a visit from the tooth fairy, with a new shiny quarter under the pillow.

(Not that the tooth fairy ever visited me.)

1 Like

I was thinking it was something Koichi said somewhere, but now that I search the forums, I can’t seem to find any search terms that pop up anything relevant from Koichi or Kristen.

Maybe you dreamt it as a part of wishful thinking? O.o?