New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

It was removed, to much general despair.

1 Like

Hello everyone! I need a Wanikani expert to help me out! Sorry for the TL:TR :sob:

I have started using Wanikani and I am currently about to finish level two. I have realized that I have been starting to confuse Kanji readings (yeah yeah, I know! Go figure :joy: i already know this). I’m not here to complain about this but rather to ask for a strategy how to best handle the reading-confusion dilemma.

If I understand correctly, in the “Kanji” part of the lessons, the most common reading of each Kanji is taught, regardless of whether is on- or kun-yomi. So because of this I’m already starting to mix up the readings when compound Kanji appear in the vocabulary section :sweat_smile:

Does anyone have a good strategy on how to work on this?. I don’t even know what kind approach to take but maybe someone went through the same and found a way to work around it? I do like platform a lot, and I would not like to stop using it, but if I find difficulties already in the early levels, I do not want to imagine what kind of issues I will have in higher levels. :sob:

Wouldn’t call them “most common”, it’s more the reading the wk team considered the most appropriate to teach. Either because it’s actually just the most common reading of the word, or because 9 times out of 10 the words you’ll be learning that use it will be using that reading.

Wouldn’t worry about mixing them up yet honestly. As you learn more and more words and you get more and more patterns into your brain, you’ll be able to recognize 1) which type of reading you even need there likely, onyomi, kunyomi, whatever 2) what type of reading you’ve even learned with the word and 3) based on the shape, what’s the likely onyomi reading of the word. This last point is called “Semantic-Phonetic composition”, there’s a userscript for it if you care (here), though it’s not at all strictly necessary.

One thing I did when I was a bit earlier in WK was trying to guess what the reading of a word was going to be before getting to that tab. It helps reinforce the pathways in your brain related to that kanji reading and the pattern recognition for the readings in general.

2 Likes

I’m still at the beginning too and whenever they introduce the other reading I am dumbstruck too, especially if it comes after the kanji and a few other words that use the same reading as the kanji.

I certainly hope so because right now it all seems random! :rofl:

I have that one installed, but I’m at the stage where I’m looking at the content ‘like a cat at the calendar’ (a saying we have here, i.e. don’t understand anything). :laughing:

@Vika0885
You’ll soon get to words like 早々 where there are two readings and there’s no indication when one reading is used vs the other. Yay! :rofl:
Just hang in there… I’m sure at some point sooner or later all of this will make sense to us :blush:

1 Like

Quick question, on the forums how do you update the number next to your profile picture that shows your WK level?

1 Like

Logging out and then logging in again should work.

2 Likes

That did it! Thanks!!

2 Likes

Thank you for the encouragement! :blush: I for a moment thought I wasn’t getting something right :sweat_smile:

1 Like

At 15 lessons per day, and doing reviews (both WaniKani and KaniWani) 3-4 times per day, roughly how long would it take to reach level 60? Level 30?

1 Like

I have a similar question as above.
What’s the theoretical fastest level up time if you did 15 lessons a day?

It’s not entirely a straightforward calculation, but let’s assume there are always lessons available - i.e. there aren’t any days when you’re presented with fewer lessons because you still need to guru some items before you can learn more. I count 9223 items currently in WaniKani (482 radicals, 2079 kanji and 6662 vocab), at 15 per day that equates to 615 days, or a bit over a year and eight months.

The base assumption is probably not a good one, though, and I suspect you’re gonna be waiting to guru items at least once a level. That could add as much as an extra 180 days to the total, though that’s a very back-of-the-envelope calculation. More if you get some reviews wrong at exactly the wrong moment.

As for level 30, I could probably count up the number of items in the first half and do the calculation again, but I’m too lazy for that, so I’ma just divide my original total in half. 308 days.

4 Likes

Okay, so let’s say about two and a half, maybe three years for 60, and a year and a half to two for 30. That’s not bad. Pretty close to how long I was expecting it to take me to be able to start with manga/anime/video games/vtubers.

Thanks, Belthazar.

Given that you’re level 60, about how long did it take you, and how many lessons per day were you doing?

According to WK Stats, it took me about a year and five months, though there were a couple of breaks in there - I spent a month on level 15, and three months on level 36, because I went travelling during those times and it took me a while to get back into WaniKani when I was home again. I did all available lessons whenever I had any to do.

2 Likes

Ordinarily you wouldn’t wait for the end of wanikani to start with those. I’d even go as far as saying that it’s a bad idea. Wanikani is quite boring. You would spend 2 years just looking at words that mean virtually nothing to you. It’s usually recommended to instead start consuming beginner level material essentially as early as possible.

2 Likes

You can simulate this with the WaniKani Estimator:

1 Like

how come some radicals are introduced after the same kanji. Like, when you’re further along, it will say that you should already know the radical from the kanji. It always seems like a weird order to do things.

Weakness of the system, can’t build kanji from kanji, they must be built from radicals.

2 Likes

Thank you, I think that I must be confusing myself.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not going to wait until 60. I meant 30, since that’s about N3 from what I can find, and that’s when most people seem to say you can start reading manga without constantly checking a dictionary.

I dunno, I’d call it more quirk than weakness. Reintroducing a kanji as a radical is something of a warning, I reckon - “heads up! you’re about to see this kanji again, in new and exciting ways!”

3 Likes