2 Likes

483 radicals
2055 kanji
6358 vocabulary
according to wkstats

7 Likes

Hahahhahaha I knew it would be easy to find

2 Likes

Sorry if this is a silly question, I’ve been studying for a while but only just started on WaniKani so playing the slow game… sometimes when I input a reading, it tells me that the Kanji also has other readings but when I try to put both readings in I get the shakey shake. Am I only meant to put one but remember that there’s more? Or is it hinting at me not including both?

Thanks in advance! :heart:

You should always only enter one reading at a time. It will sometimes give you a popup if there’s more than one reading thought in the lesson, and any of those count as valid answers. They’ll usually pick several vocabulary items for such kanji so you’ll still be quizzed on all readings when doing those reviews.

1 Like

Oohh awesome, thank you so much for that! I felt like it was trying to hint at me that I’d missed something haha. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It’s just a little reminder. I always try to input the one I’m least familiar with already, if I happen to already know the kanji/vocab. Or I try to enter one the first time, and another one the next time.

1 Like

How do you easily skip to the most recent replies on a post?

Easiest is to click the post count in the bottom right.

1 Like

Why is it that putting in the kun’yomi reading gives you an error when it asks for the on’yomi, but when you do it vice-versa, it just auto-fails?

Firstly, it’s important to distinguish between pink (kanji) items and purple (vocab) items.

Kanji items often ask for the onyomi, but sometimes they ask for kunyomi instead. To keep things from getting overwhelming, they only teach one reading in the lesson, but the other readings are still valid readings. Thus, if you answer with something different from the lesson that is still one of the possible readings, it asks you to put in the lesson reading. You weren’t incorrect.

A vocab item can also be either onyomi or kunyomi, but in this case, usually only one of them is valid, because it’s a word, not just an abstract kanji. So if you put in something other than the correct reading it’s just wrong.

4 Likes

Just to add to this, usually, on pink (kanji) cards they’re looking for the on’yomi reading, and if you put the kun’yomi reading, it’ll shake and ask again. Some kanji don’t have an on’yomi reading (or it’s really uncommon) in which case the kun’yomi is the default. There may be multiple on’yomis in which case any of them are valid.

And because Japanese is a flawless language, sometimes this rule doesn’t apply at all, but it’s usually the safe assumption.

Very stupid question here!

Here in the forums, next to a person’s avatar. There is a little ball with a number inside. I know the number represent their WK level, but what does the color represent. I figured that yellow/gold is reserved for those that got to lvl 60. But why some have blue e others have purple little balls? Is it a boys and girls kind of thing? Or do you get purple when you reset you lvl?

Pleaseeeeee someone relieve me from the agony of wondering this every time I see someone’s avatar!

Yep! The blue is for any subscription (monthly or yearly) and the purple is for Lifetime :blush:

Oh and obviously the grey is for anyone who doesn’t have a subscription. Though the gold for level 60 stays even if your subscription expires:

3 Likes

Thank you so much!!! I really needed this answer!! You made my day!

If you hover over someone’s level with your cursor, it will tell you the category of subscription.

1 Like

Wow! I didn’t know that! Handy little trick!!!

Does the level in the forums only update after I guru an item on that level?

The forum lags behind a few days behind the site. If you want to force the level to update, you can log out of the forum and log back in, otherwise it takes a while for it to synchronize.

3 Likes

30 days into the journey and a day away from hitting level 5. Trying to figure out if this is a good/bad pace. I use the app multiple times a day and much of the vocab and kanji are familiar to me but I can sometimes forget a reading I’m less familiar with or fat finger a reply or use a dreaded synonym that isn’t a WK approved answer.

Is this a good pace? I would like to learn as quickly as possible and don’t feel like I’m burning out, just want to keep going up.