New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

what is discord?

1 Like

okay, so I have an account now - what do I do next or what it there to do?

1 Like

Well, actually I don’t know :sweat_smile:

Discord is a little bit like the modern version of IRC . So, usually you would know people first you then like to chat / talk with on discord.

As for WK, there is now official channel. But I think there might be some unofficial channels. Some of the book clubs have a regular discord meeting as well. E. g. the yotsuba weekly live readings.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful… maybe someone else can help out as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you mean no official channel?

3 Likes

You could join the Speaking practice via Discord server.

3 Likes

At least that’s what I’ve come cross in the forums here. According to the following to discussions there is no official WK discord channel.

There are channels / servers (not sure what the correct term for discord is…) that are run by WK community members though. The ones still active seem mainly (but not exclusively) to be study related. This is what the forum search gave me:

Does this help?

EDIT: now I’ve got it :sweat_smile: Yes. I meant there is no official channel. (completely misleading typo in my previous post… sorry) Thanks for clarifying.

3 Likes

yeah, the WaniKani team has somewhat condemned the use of discord as part of the WK social life because they have no way to moderate anything and don’t want to be held responsible should anything go wrong. but they can’t really stop people from joining servers, so essentially you just do it at your own risk. but yeah, they certainly do not have their own official server.

1 Like

meh :worried:

hi! my new person question is: what the heck are userscripts and do complete beginners need it?

They alter the functionality of WaniKani in various different ways, from cosmetic to… allowing cheating. No, you don’t have to use scripts - vanilla WaniKani works perfectly well - but their intention is to customise the experience.

1 Like

If you look at the The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps, you will find a short description for a lot of the scripts available.

1 Like

How do you change the user description? Mine is no longer up to date, and I only remember the old way from the old site layout.

On the main wanikani site, you can go to settings->profile->about, there’s a textbox there where you can edit the description.

2 Likes

Thank you! I wasn’t aware the forum page and the main page gave different options. Big help!

1 Like

What’s a POLL? I couldn’t find any info in the campfire thread

3 Likes

A magical place full of Coelacanth :grin:

More seriously, the POLL thread is basically this forum’s equivalent of a general conversation thread. It just has a lot of polls sprinkled in. The title of the thread also changes often, but always has the word POLL in it.

3 Likes

What is the POLL thread?

• Clicky clicky
  • A magical place full of Coelacanth :fish:
  • Just your normal convo thread
  • I don’t know, what are POLLs? :thinking:
  • Durtle cake with POLLs sprinkled on top :stuck_out_tongue:

0 voters

1 Like

I’m sure this answer is easy to find. I’m not looking in the right spot.
How many kanji and vocabulary does wanikani teach? I

1 Like

This what you’re looking for? :wink:

2 Likes