New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Is there even a good reason to use it over the newer one? The newer one used to have horrible crashing issues, but they were fixed a long while ago. It has a much nicer and visually appealing design as well.

0 Likes

It has the reorder script in it. That’s the only time I use it.

Edit: I shared this awhile back. It’s somewhere floating around the forums. @Borx

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hij2pmnxiny2p5/WK%20Mobile.apk?dl=0

0 Likes

That would do it. Maybe the reorder script can be incorporated into the new one. I’m pretty sure it’s open sourced on github.

0 Likes

Personally I like the look of the older one better. (I hate pink).

0 Likes

Thank you and @Borx! I’ll be returning after I learn hirigana (and I’m taking my sweet time because I am classic for overloading myself) and I’ll try that app for katakana!

While this question may be out of the WaniKani scope, I was curious what others did when learning Japanese. After you’re comfortable with hirigana and katakana, is kanji the next step for vocabulary? What resources do folks use for grammar?

Thanks!

0 Likes

@viridianflare You might want to look at the Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List

Also, FYI, it’s hiragana, not hirigana.

0 Likes

It should only take a week or so to learn the kana. When I started learning, I learned the kana then moved on to finding a way to learn kanji. Which eventually landed me here on WaniKani.

1 Like

Hello, Thank you for all the help.

0 Likes

Thank you! I’m getting through hiragana pretty quickly and it’s starting to stick. I was watching Attack on Titan yesterday and started to recognize the hiragana in some of the titles/images.

So for Japanese, I have two major goals:

1. Be able to read manga in Japanese.
  2. Understand anime without subtitles.

Both of these, I realize, will take years, but for listening, is continuing to watch anime and listening to words the way to go?

0 Likes

You probably want some exposure to real Japanese as well. I always advocate the podcasts Bilingual News, そこあに, and ひいきびいき. Sokoani is about anime, so you might be interested in that one at least

2 Likes

Aside from what @Kumirei said, though, trying to listen to words in anime is a good idea too. You will, over time, begin to recognize common words and it can be helpful to already have exposure to some words while learning on WaniKani.

1 Like

Hi I have a question about readings. Are on’yomi or the kanji readings the same pronounciations that Japanese people use for that word on a daily basis? Will memorizing these pronounciations help me on a conversational level? Also, what exactly is an on’yomi and how is it different from just the pronounciation of a word? Thanks.

0 Likes

Kanji mainly have onyomi and kunyomi (readings). The former is sino-Japanese, originated in China, and are used primarily for compounds. The latter originated in Japan is used primarily for ordinary words. Take, for example, 生, meaning life. It has onyomi せい and しょう, which are used in words such as 先生 (せんせい), teacher, and 誕生日 (たんじょうび), birthday. It has (among many others) kunyomi い and う, used in words like 生きる(いきる), to live, and 生まれる(うまれる), to be birthed.

0 Likes

Kanji have two readings (usually). The on’yomi reading is based on the original Chinese reading of the character. The kun’yomi is a Japanese reading. Different words use different readings. An example would be the kanji 日 (sun or day). In the vocabulary word 一日 (one day) it’s read as にち with the word being read いちにち using the on’yomi readings. But in the word 日 (sun or day) it is read ひ using the kun/yomi reading.

0 Likes

For a short answer: usually you will hear on’yomi as a part of compound words (or Jukugo), so you will hear them often. Knowing them is more helpful for reading though… (in general). Especially since so many sounds are repeated. You may be able to guess what the word is… That’s often how Japanese puns are made, too. : D

I’ve linked to a few posts on On’yomi vs. Kun’yomi up in the OP that you might also want to check out.

0 Likes

[RESERVED TO BE NEW FAQ POST]

(I’m on mobile right now so not going to happen for a few days. Busy weekend. Will Wiki this post too once it’s set up. : ) )

0 Likes

Another question from me! Thanks to all who have been so patient with the amount of questions I’ve had.

I finished my studies on hiragana and feel fairly confident. I work on my lessons very slowly while also studying katakana. I’m just starting to get into the kanji on level one and I noticed that the reading of several of them (construction, nine, and mouth, for example) have the same reading (ku). How would you differentiate these kanji in a sentence? Context clues?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Do you mean in a spoken sentence? There are lots of homonyms in Japanese, but 工 and 口 are never homonyms as standalone characters, because 工 is usually not a word on its own (except as a pretty obscure vocab word), and 口 by itself has the reading of くち, not こう.

こう is a reading you will only hear for either character when they appear in compounds, where they do create a homonym when combined with 人.

人工 (artificial) and 人口 (population) are both pronounced じんこう. But as you guessed, context should clear any confusion up.

1 Like

OH. I forgot that only some of the kanji are also words! Thanks so much, this was very helpful!

Out of curiosity, how are you using kanji/hiragana on your posts?

0 Likes

I just have the Microsoft Japanese IME enabled on my laptop. So I can switch between typing with the typical English keyboard and the Japanese phonetic IME. If you google it, I’m sure you’ll find a guide to enabling it, if you use Windows.

1 Like