New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Kids these days, smh. :weary:

Are the older instances of nothingness like All Might and all that?

2 Likes

Hi,
I was wondering if someone can help me with this. I am learning for example the Mounth Kanji. The reading is こう, orく. Then if I go to the vocabulary, the reading is again different: くち. And then when I read the word Zero, or ゼロ, I read the Mouth as: ro or ろ??? I don’t understand? why are there so many ways of using this kanji and do I really need to learn all of these ways of saying/using them? why is it in the word zero again different?

It’s common for kanji to have multiple readings. く and こう came from Chinese, and are most often used in compounds that Japanese borrowed from Chinese. くち is the native Japanese word for mouth, and so it’s how you read the kanji as a word alone, or in some compounds that are based on Japanese etymology. You’ll learn some words that use く and こう in compounds soon enough.

ロ in ゼロ is not the mouth kanji. It’s the katakana “ro.” It just coincidentally shares the same shape as 口. But it shouldn’t really be confusing in context as to which is which. The ロ katakana is a simplification of the kanji 呂, which is also read “ro.” So it only has an indirect connection to the mouth kanji.

The written aspect of Japanese is one of its trickiest parts, but with experience this will all seem normal.

7 Likes

Hey, I’ll have you know my orifices are cleaned regularly, good sir!

Besides, everyone else is doing it these days. I just want to look cool.

2 Likes

Can anyone suggest a script that would count how much time I’ve used on WK? Really just for being curious. And maybe someday to be able to gawk at all that time used… :smiling_imp:

1 Like

As far as I know, there’s no script like that :thinking:

Exact time on WK will be difficult to measure unfortunately, as that is probably not stored in your API key. However, if you want to know how long it has been since you started WK, or how much time you have spent on each level, pay this website a visit:

https://wkstats.com:10001

1 Like

I am actually planning to add this feature for reviews to the heatmap script, and I have the function to calculate it made already. Mind, though, that it doesn’t count any time before August 4 2017, since WK didn’t store review data before then.

REQUIRES WANIKANI OPEN FRAMEWORK
Ok, so what you want to do is first cache the reviews and define our functions with this. Open up the console and paste it into there.

function get_longest_session(longest_pause) {
	var reviews = JSON.parse(localStorage.getItem('review_cache'));
	if (!reviews) cache_reviews().then(()=>{time_reviewed(longest_pause)});
	else time_reviewed(longest_pause);
}

function cache_reviews() {
	return wkof.Apiv2.fetch_endpoint('reviews').then((review_data)=>{
    	var dates = [];
		for (var i=0; i<review_data.data.length; i++) {
            var item = review_data.data[i].data;
            dates.push(Date.parse(item.created_at));
        }
		localStorage.setItem('review_cache', JSON.stringify(dates));
    });
}

function time_reviewed(longest_pause) {
    var reviews = JSON.parse(localStorage.getItem('review_cache'));
    var session_start = reviews[0];
    var last = session_start;
	var time = 0;
	var sessions = 1;
    for (var i=1; i<reviews.length; i++) {
        if ((reviews[i]-last)/1000/60 > longest_pause) {
            session_start = reviews[i];
			sessions++;
        }
		else time += reviews[i]-last;
        last = reviews[i];
    }
    console.log('Time reviewed:', (time/1000/60/60).toFixed(2) + 'h');
	console.log('Number of sessions:', sessions);
}

Then you can use the command time_reviewed(longest_pause), where longest_pause is replaced with the longest pause (in minutes) between answers allowed. Anything longer than longest_pause will not count towards the total time reviewed.

You will be returned a number of hours and the number of sessions your choice of longest_pause results in. If the latter seems high, you might want to calibrate the former. How you interpret these is up to you.

8 Likes

It appears I was wrong! Looks pretty cool! I’ll be looking forward to that feature. :blush:

They store the exact date for each review, so I fetch all the reviews and look at the time between answers 295787090669469698. It’s not perfect, but it works alright.

3 Likes

Does the pace you’re going at feel comfortable->challenging, without being exhausting or overwhelming? Then yes. You’re currently within my own sweet spot.
If It still feels too slow, then add a few more lessons at a time until you hit that enjoyable challenge.

I just started because I’m doing good on grammar, my vocab is pretty low

2 Likes

Good job!

Welcome aboard the Crabigator train!

2 Likes

If I wanted to burn everything through level three before paying for premium so i can kinda start fresh on level 4, is that possible? (Also I don’t think I worded that question correctly so I hope it makes sense.)

No idea why you want to do that because it takes at least six months before you can burn the kanji (as in never show it in the WK reviews ever again).

But upgrading to premium remembers everything you did before, so you could work on lvl 1-3 for months first.

ah ok thank you! So you suggest just getting premium as soon as its available(once I finish level 3) and keep doing what I am doing? Also will your lessons pile up over time? Like this morning i started level 2 and i had 55 lessons lined up, I can take those at whatever speed i choose, correct?

You will get many lessons for a new level, but they are ordered so that you have to learn everything from the previous level first before you get new radicals and kanji that you need to level up again.

So if you go slow you level up slower, but there is no danger of lessons piling up because you are “too slow”.

One thing to keep in mind is that one lesson creates at least 8 times you will review it, so taking lots of lessons at the same time is a risk because reviews coming from different levels will overlap, giving you review session of hundreds of items.

You should decide on your pace in the beginning, like doing 5 or 10 lessons a day, or doing new lessons only if the number of “apprentice items” is below 100 for example.

4 Likes

Thank you! That really helps a lot. Hopefully slowing down a bit wont have me feeling crazy overwhelmed later down the road, even if that means it takes me longer to get to 60!

1 Like

No problem! I’m sure you will be fine, the main fault new users make it to be extremely eager in the beginning and binge every lesson available, only to be faced with hours of review time per day one or two months later that are no fun anymore.

Kanji are a marathon, keeping a good pace is key.

Also, kanji are important for Japanese, but pretty useless on their own, there are more fields of study you have to do in parallel anyway.

2 Likes

Help please. Am I doing something wrong here?

1 Like