New iOS app

haawa said... @marcsan Not really sure what's the problem with typos and the old app. I've been using mine for reviews for 2 days exclusively (no website), and haven't made a single typo.

Regarding the ignore button, I don't think it's possible to make one, because you can't really ignore words on WaniKani.

Here's how it looks in my app:

1. You type answer
2. YOU READ IT
3a. If it's correct, you press arrow, just like on web 
3b. If it's not correct, you edit your text and then submit it

Not really sure what's the problem is.
Don't ignore your users, man. They're telling you what they want, and you're telling them how they should use the product instead. Listen to feedback; that's what you came here for, right?

People want to do their reviews quickly; having to read what they typed out is an impediment. The reason a lot of us shy away from using Wanikani's mobile interface and third-party apps is because we make a lot of typos on mobile keyboards that we can't correct. We use the ignore answer userscript on desktop to deal with that, or just use desktops because we make way fewer mistakes there.

Ergo, an ignore answer button may actually be a must-have feature for any Wanikani mobile app.
1 Like

I’d love to give this a go.

edit: thanks for the invite!

haawa said... Hey guys. I made a small tiny app for iOS which notifies me when reviews are up, and allows to do my reviews/lessons inside of the app.

It's available on Github:  https://github.com/haawa799/WaniKani-iOS 

I will make it available for pre-release testing, so you can drop your emails here, and I will add you as a tester later.

The app is an iPhone app, for now. Will make some iPad UI later. It requires iOS 8 or later.

Cheers!

Could you give a rough estimate as to when it'll be out in the App Store?
amolv said...
haawa said... @marcsan Not really sure what's the problem with typos and the old app. I've been using mine for reviews for 2 days exclusively (no website), and haven't made a single typo.

Regarding the ignore button, I don't think it's possible to make one, because you can't really ignore words on WaniKani.

1. You type answer
2. YOU READ IT

Don't ignore your users, man. They're telling you what they want, and you're telling them how they should use the product instead. Listen to feedback; that's what you came here for, right?

People want to do their reviews quickly; having to read what they typed out is an impediment. The reason a lot of us shy away from using Wanikani's mobile interface and third-party apps is because we make a lot of typos on mobile keyboards that we can't correct. We use the ignore answer userscript on desktop to deal with that, or just use desktops because we make way fewer mistakes there.

Ergo, an ignore answer button may actually be a must-have feature for any Wanikani mobile app.
 Sure, users need to provide feedback. But in this case, OP might have a point. If you're making a typo by typing too fast, clicking an ignore button, and then typing everything again, than how is that different/faster than just carefully looking at your answer in the first place?

But yea, you're right. I, too, am reluctant to use an app to do reviews because it doesn't have such an ignore button. I don't even think the android app has one, and that one has been in development (and production) a lot longer. It would be a glorious day if someone finally made one for mobile! I actually haven't looked into it, so don't go shouting if it turns out to be super simple, but couldn't it just be possible that such a feature is just not an easy thing to ask of a developer?
Browsers have greasemonkey and tampermonkey to handle all the magic, but with mobile you just don't have that. From what little i know, you have a component that acts like a simplistic browser, displaying the real WK site so you can do reviews, but throwing user scripts in the mix here is just something i presume to be unlikely happening.

My point being: if you're a programmer and know what you're talking about, than try to help instead of criticise, and if you don't know what you're talking about, don't criticise and be grateful to OP. And don't expect magic. Peeps always think a programmer can do anything on a computer with just a few keystrokes. I only have mad respect for OP for taking the time to make this for the enjoyment of others, so damn if anybody's trying to say him how to make his own app. He's simply owes nobody anything.

1. You type answer
2. YOU READ IT

Well, some of us aren't as perfect as you and make typos often, esp. when in a hurry/using a small keyboard ;) Well, it should be possible - the Android app can do it; I suggest you check the code of the ignore button script :)
amolv said...

1. You type answer
2. YOU READ IT

You totally misunderstood my reasoning. 

I'm not fighting for users or anything. I felt need in iOS app, and I made it.

It's far from full functional app, it just do the basics for now, the core functionality that I needed.

I posted this thread not that I want to get users or anything , I made an app and I decided to share it.

App will be free and I don't really care how many user it will have. Just thought that it might be useful for someone, since it definitely is for me.

Regarding ignore button, I really don't get how it should work and need for it. Probably because I'm low level. Maybe I will tryout the script first to get a feel of it. 

For now skipping an answer for me sounds like cheating the system, which is designed to teach you. I'm almost certain that I'm wrong about it, but it's just how it seems for me right now.
Murtada said...
haawa said... Hey guys. I made a small tiny app for iOS which notifies me when reviews are up, and allows to do my reviews/lessons inside of the app.

It's available on Github:  https://github.com/haawa799/WaniKani-iOS 

I will make it available for pre-release testing, so you can drop your emails here, and I will add you as a tester later.

The app is an iPhone app, for now. Will make some iPad UI later. It requires iOS 8 or later.

Cheers!

Could you give a rough estimate as to when it'll be out in the App Store?
 Will polish it up this week and will submit it for review on weekend. AppStore review might take around 5 days.
haawa said...
amolv said...

1. You type answer
2. YOU READ IT

You totally misunderstood my reasoning. 

I'm not fighting for users or anything. I felt need in iOS app, and I made it.

It's far from full functional app, it just do the basics for now, the core functionality that I needed.

I posted this thread not that I want to get users or anything , I made an app and I decided to share it.

App will be free and I don't really care how many user it will have. Just thought that it might be useful for someone, since it definitely is for me.

Regarding ignore button, I really don't get how it should work and need for it. Probably because I'm low level. Maybe I will tryout the script first to get a feel of it. 

For now skipping an answer for me sounds like cheating the system, which is designed to teach you. I'm almost certain that I'm wrong about it, but it's just how it seems for me right now.
+1
If i ever make a userscript or an app for this site, that would be my exact reasoning. And to get better at programming. That's always a nice bonus.

The android app does have an ignore button. There’s quite a few userscripts that were ported to it.

If you’re still sharing the app, could you please send me an email at Kym_Coombes@yahoo.com. I’m very interested in using it. I am taking a Japanese newspaper reading class next semester so the more practice I can get with kanji the better :slight_smile:

Mempo said...My point being: if you're a programmer and know what you're talking about, than try to help instead of criticise, and if you don't know what you're talking about, don't criticise and be grateful to OP. And don't expect magic. Peeps always think a programmer can do anything on a computer with just a few keystrokes. I only have mad respect for OP for taking the time to make this for the enjoyment of others, so damn if anybody's trying to say him how to make his own app. He's simply owes nobody anything.
I apologize if I came off as overly critical; I really didn't mean to. I'll try to provide more constructive feedback in the future.
And I promise I'll take look at the code as soon as I buy a laptop! I do all my coding at work right now.

Mempo said... Sure, users need to provide feedback. But in this case, OP might have a point. If you're making a typo by typing too fast, clicking an ignore button, and then typing everything again, than how is that different/faster than just carefully looking at your answer in the first place?
For me (and perhaps most people who use the ignore answer userscript), it's faster because typos are infrequent enough that eliminating that required reading time speeds up your review sessions overall. And typos are annoying enough that people avoid using Wanikani on mobile. They may even eventually drive OP to stop using his own app (if he can squeeze in desktop time regularly).

haawa said...Regarding ignore button, I really don't get how it should work and need for it. Probably because I'm low level. Maybe I will tryout the script first to get a feel of it. 

Personally, I use the script only to take care of typos in answers that I know I would have gotten right otherwise. That prevents items, especially radicals and kanji, from being downgraded to Apprentice and me having to wait for a day or longer for a Guru level up before I can start working on new items that use that particular item.

Wanikani's strict about a lot of stuff (and for good reason, most of the time), but at some point, you have to maintain discipline yourself. Cheating on answers just means you're throwing money at a system which you're learning nothing from.
2 Likes

For genuine typos nothing beats an ignore button. The only time I will use the ios app currently on my iPad is when I have plenty of time to sit down and take things really slowly.

Also I don’t consider missing a silentう as a typo. Only genuine ones where I hit the wrong key with my fat fingers.

About the ignore answer button, I have the old IOS app installed and I don’t use it at all because of it missing. I would use the app when I can’t use a computer, meaning on the train or bus to work and this combined with a tiny display leads to typos. I think more or less everybody here is using wanikani to learn kanji and not to finish as fast as possible, so I guess most people understand that cheating with the ignore answer button doesn’t help you reaching your goal. Another thing I use the button for is when I, as a non english native, know the meaning, but just in another language and not english. This happens from time to time and when I’m actually wrong, I mark the answer as wrong. It just helps me when I get lost in english.
I do understand that this is a private project and this button might be difficult to include, but if it is possible, it would help a lot :slight_smile:

Started using it today. Just wanted to pass on my thanks, it’s a nice app and you’ve worked hard to make the WK experience simple and beautiful.

I do have the old app for comparison, I miss lightning mode but to be honest it’s going to be really nice for people without the app to have a working version. That’s the most important thing.

Love the notifications - this is the most important feature for me. 

Nice work - the important features of WK are there. As you’ve just started this project I hope others can cut you some slack on the feature requests, because it’s a great first pass.

@leneux 

How did you start using the app already?

Izana said... @leneux 

How did you start using the app already?
 I'm adding people as testers. If you want I can add you as well. Just drop me your email.
leneux said... Started using it today. Just wanted to pass on my thanks, it's a nice app and you've worked hard to make the WK experience simple and beautiful.

I do have the old app for comparison, I miss lightning mode but to be honest it's going to be really nice for people without the app to have a working version. That's the most important thing.

Nice work - the important features of WK are there. As you've just started this project I hope others can cut you some slack on the feature requests, because it's a great first pass.
 Thanks for kind words. ^ __ ^

As someone who never used "lighting mode", could you please provide more info and a link to script or pretty much anything, so that I could start some investigation on how to integrate that into the app? 

The more info the bigger chances it will make it to the app! 
Thnx :)
haawa said...
leneux said... Started using it today. Just wanted to pass on my thanks, it's a nice app and you've worked hard to make the WK experience simple and beautiful.

I do have the old app for comparison, I miss lightning mode but to be honest it's going to be really nice for people without the app to have a working version. That's the most important thing.

Nice work - the important features of WK are there. As you've just started this project I hope others can cut you some slack on the feature requests, because it's a great first pass.
 Thanks for kind words. ^ __ ^
As someone who never used "lighting mode", could you please provide more info and a link to script or pretty much anything, so that I could start some investigation on how to integrate that into the app? 
The more info the bigger chances it will make it to the app!  Thnx :)
This plugin  has something build in that sorts the reviews. You can reorder, but the lightning part is probably the trick where enter on input brings you to the next item. Also the grouping of meaning and reading makes it faster. Although I make more errors without the script, as I am now used to enter the pairs directly after each other. So without the script and good attention, I mess up my reviews on other devices.

Loving the app so far the notifications are a heaven send!
All I know about lighting mode is that is automatically advances to the next question after being answered correctly.

Yeah, that’s it essentially, it saves the double press (if the answer is correct) needed to go to the next question. Saves a lot of time.

Perfectly manageable without, but a nice option to have for people who are used to it (that might be why it’s come up a couple times already).