New and Improved Wallpaper Generator

If anyone of you are using Wallpaper Engine, I just made a wallpaper that lets you set an image url which refreshes on an interval for this purpose.

Just install it into Wallpaper Engine, then copy the URL from the “Download Wallpaper” button on the generator, then paste it into the “Image URL” field in Wallpaper Engine.

You can set the interval between refreshes with the “Auto refresh” slider.

Workshop link

1 Like

I just downloaded it and I love it! It isn’t very filled in, but I think it looks really nice!

1 Like

Hello everyone!

Nope! Just lurking.

These are all set now :slight_smile:

Me too! I took the last few days to make it easier for you to help me. Firstly, I open sourced the code. Second, I wrote some tools to help automate updating the kanji sets really quickly. By these powers combined, I now have no excuse of not updating the kanji sets in a more timely manner.

Thank you :smiley:

Yes, the second image is more blurry in some spots, but it seems sharper in some spots (like on 地). I didn’t notice any significant blurriness when I did my own tests between the two tools, but I was doing it for my screen size (1920x1080). If you’re generating wallpapers for a laptop screen (1366x768) then it’s going to crush the kanji no matter what you do.

I did some looking into using some other graphic engines for generating the wallpapers. Unfortunately I don’t have my own dedicated server, so I’m limited to the GD Graphics Library that’s installed for me. I thought about implementing an optional Sharpen Filter step in the wallpaper generation, but again that’s not something I can do on the server. However, it is something you could do. Install ImageMagick, double your wallpaper size to 2732x1536, and add this to your bash file:

"[Image Magick Path]/convert" wallpaper.png -sharpen 0x2 -resize 1366x768 resized.png

Play with that sharpen number. 0x1 is like cheddar cheese, while 0x2 is like a dull knife, and 0x8 hurts just by looking at it. You can also do floating point numbers like 0x1.5.

Do you mean having the wallpaper update automatically on Chromebook? I did a quick search and didn’t find anything for updating the ChromeOS wallpaper automatically, but there is something you could do. If I had a Chromebook and wanted to update the wallpaper, I would:

1. Bookmark the “Download Wallpaper” link,
    by right-clicking the Download Wallpaper button
  1. Install this extension

and then whenever I wanted to update the wallpaper, I would click the bookmark, right-click the image, and choose “Set As ChromeOS Wallpaper”.

Just like me :sob:

This is all set now! :slight_smile: By the way, there were some kanji in that PDF that weren’t in the Kanken list that I had (specifically 1 茨, 5 埼, 7 栃, 11 阜). This suggests to me that I never had a complete Kanken list. By any chance, do you know where I could get an official list of all Kanken kanji? I wasn’t able to come up with anything.

WOAH, that Wallpaper Engine program is SUPER COOL. I’m so glad I paid the $4 to check out your wallpaper, lol. It’s like Rainmeter, but for entire wallpapers. I’m definitely going to be playing with this program.

Thanks for making this contribution :slight_smile: I’ll be adding “Wallpaper Engine” instructions to the website soon.

3 Likes

Cool! It appears I’ve been blocked (which didn’t happen before). I have it set to update every minute, but it looks like that was too often and now I get a message that I’ve used up my daily limit. I’ve set it to 30 minutes instead, but do you think you could remove the restriction?

Oh whoops! Haha, yeah, let me take care of that. I added the daily limit last night. It’s on a rolling 24-hour cycle, so I just cleared your generation record within the last 24 hours. It should be working again for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, just a thought, if you still wanted it to update every minute, you can download the source code and run it locally for yourself (see “How to Run This Locally”). You would just need to make sure to change the DAILY_GENERATION_LIMIT value in config.php to some higher number.

1 Like

Hello! I just found this tool and it is the coolest thing ever.

Is there an option I can use to display kanji in order of Wanikani level but without being broken up into sections, so that one level flows into another on the same line? Kind of like Wanikani by Section (which breaks it up into pleasant, painful, etc) which has things a bit more flowing.

basically just give me a giant wall of kanji in wanikani order instead of Heisig.

Hi Vikitty!

I’m glad you like it :smiley:

I just made an update to the website that will allow you to have that. Look for a Collapse sections? option under Section Titles. If you have that enabled, then you’ll get your giant wall of kanji in WaniKani order.

Thank you for your feedback, and good luck on your Journey in Japanese :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s beautiful! wipes away tear

5 Likes

That looks great, the color scheme is very nice! :smiley:

https://coolors.co/ and https://colorhunt.co/ are my old standbys from when I did website design and needed colour palette inspiration. :smiley:

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for sharing :smiley: I added those two links to the website.

(before anyone has a chance to ask :wink:) The kanji sets were updated for the WaniKani June 26, 2020 Content Update.

3 Likes

I thought I was losing my marbles when I updated tonight to show my new burns (yay!) and suddenly there was another line!

1 Like

The generator seems broken. Since today, “Download Wallpaper” gives me an broken image, that can’t be opened. Could you look into that problem?

Hi @Masayoshiro,
thanks for this script! I really enjoy it. However, I couldn’t figure out how to update the Wallpaper via rightclick on my homescreen as shown here:

Can you help me implement that?

Uh oh, you’re right! Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I’ll be working on fixing it.

Well, uh, it seems to be broken right now but you can find the instructions for the right-click thing if you go to wkw.natural20design.com, and then click Windows at the bottom, and then find step 4. Add it to the context menu. Does that help?

2 Likes

Okay, it seems like my web host silently changed the memory limit on me. I have an override in place in the download script itself, so it should be good now.

@zEUs_japanese, any luck getting the right-click thing to work?

Yes, it worked perfectly! I must have overlooked the instructions to that the first time, sorry for that. It*s really cool to have that implemented now.

1 Like

Fantastic! I even got the automatic updating to work on Linux Mint xfce version by modifying @lilalas shell script like so:

#!/bin/bash
curl -s -A "USER_AGENT" -o "wallpaper.png" "http://wkw.natural20design.com/?k=API_KEY&d=1"
xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -p /backdrop/screen0/monitoreDP/workspace0/last-image -s $PWD/wallpaper.png

ありがとうございます!

BTW はじめまして ジョージ です、よろしくおねがいします

1 Like