New and Improved Wallpaper Generator

How do I set up auto updating to work on Windows 10?

Hi there!

Here’s how to set up auto-updating on any Windows version:

1. Log in to the website, and scroll down to the bottom. Follow the Windows instructions until after you’ve made the update.bat file (up to step 3 or 3.1 if needed).
  2. Open Task Scheduler. How do I open Task Scheduler?
  3. Click on “Create Task…”
  4. On the General tab, set the name to “Update WK Wallpaper”.
  5. On the Triggers tab, click “New…”, and configure it with the following:
    Begin the task: At startup
    Repeat task every: 30 minutes or 1 hour
    for a duration of: Indefinitely
  6. On the Actions tab, click “New…”, and configure it with the following:
    Program/script: (click the “Browse…” button and select your update.bat file)
  7. Click OK to exit the “Create Task” window. You should now see a “Update WK Wallpaper” task listed in the Task Scheduler Library.
  8. Restart your computer.

Let me know how it works out!

4 Likes

Hi! Does this feature also work with updating lock screens as well? Or does it only update the normal desktop wallpaper?

Hi Oreo Disaster!

Yes, but you’ll need to do make some modifications for updating the lock screen. I just added some instructions to the website for updating the lock screen. Scroll to the bottom and look for an “Advanced” tab.

Also, when you configure the task in Task Scheduler, I believe you’ll also need to enable “Run with highest priveleges” from the General tab. Please let me know how it works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Masayoshiro, thanks for adding the instructions to the website! I tried to run the command with the normal right click+update WaniKani Wallpaper, but this error showed up. Any solutions to this?

I just turned on Task Scheduler History (so I can see if it triggers properly, since it hard to look through all the kanji’s on screen and notice subtle differences).

I will keep you posted, just @ me so I remember to respond! :stuck_out_tongue:

(Unrelated Question: Why are you only level 2?)

(Update) I couldn’t get the start on boot and repeat ever so often to work, so I made another “trigger” to sync the wallpaper that runs the task at a certain time everyday and that seems to be the only way to get it to work (at least in my experience). If you know a work-around please let me know (if not, it’s good enough as-is).

Rare that this happens, but I got the same error as you :smiley:. Thank you for testing this and coming back with the results. I pulled that solution from earlier in this thread but I didn’t have time to fully test it.

Please undo what you did yesterday to your update.bat file, delete the lockscreen.ps1 file, and check the website for updated instructions. The “Update Lock Screen on Windows 10” section is completely rewritten, and there is also a new “Always Run ‘update.bat’ as an Administrator” section which you will need to follow as well.

1 Like

@DropaBombOnEm, You could try changing the “Begin the task:” parameter from “At startup” to “At log on”. Does that help?

Also, I’m level 2 because I’m a vegan and I don’t like harming turtles. (jk, but actually)

Now it works properly! Thanks for updating the script, this automatic wallpaper is such a convenience :smiley:

1 Like

O.O I will have to try this once I get home!

1 Like

Just found out about this. What an awesome tool! I’m definitely excited to use this as an extra motivator to climb the mountain of kanji :slight_smile:

1 Like

How do you get the hell and stuff? I can’t find that settings

Change the Kanji Set option to WaniKani Levels - Grouped in sections, as below:

1 Like

i can’t update my wallpaper, every time i try to update it changes to " Did you remember to click on save settings, can anyone help me

Hi @warby1997! I just logged in using your key, and everything seems normal.

If you’re using an automatic downloader, make sure the URL is correct (it should probably have &d=1 at the end of the URL). You can grab the URL from the location bar after clicking on the “Download Wallpaper” button.

Let me know how that works out!

the URL right and i can see all the kanji i have done so far, but wen i click the update.bat it comes up with " Did you remember to click on save settings", i not sure if did anything wrong here my update.bat file, and the folder that has everything in it

did i do anything wrong

It looks like your update.bat has a kanji character for 1 (一) instead of the actual number (1). Change it so that it says:

Also, I would recommend removing your first screenshot since it contains your API Token (or else anyone else can modify your wallpaper settings by typing in the API token).

lol i now know the reason it a extension i have on my browser that change words and number on web pages to kanji i have done on wanikani thanks for your help without it i wouldn’t have notice, it works now

2 Likes

This one looks great! Can I ask what are your settings? How do you keep all the kanji in-progress “compressed” in the first half? Also nice color scheme :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like