Netflix hack for immersion - access Japanese dubs w/o VPN

You can also drag-and-drop the file onto an open Notepad window, right click and select Open With > Notepad, or change the file associations in the system preferences to tell the system to open .srt files with Notepad by default.

1 Like

WebVTT format and SRT are text files so you should be able to open them with any text editor by just changing the extension to .txt

I tested this and was able to open with Pages (I’m using Mac OS X). Also, there is no need to convert to SRT unless you want to upload the subtitles to something the requires SRT. The screenshot has the English subtitles just because I got the first file I saw.

It’s actually pretty hilarious to me sometimes. I tried to use some content that had audio in japanese and subtitles
 and they didn’t match XD! I guess they paid to have them translated 2x? WTH netflix.

1 Like

Create a new profile “T-Rex” for all Jurassic Park-related media

3 Likes

It’s often happen to me while watching Japanese content on Netflix. The subs almost never match unless for a few shows.

2 Likes

this rules, thanks for the tip!

I suspect it’s the same as how the subs and dubs on anime don’t usually match. Sometimes the best translation would be super short as a subtitle, but they need it to be longer to match the mouth movements in the dub, or vice versa.

It doesn’t seem like Japanese TV has a lot closed captioning type subtitles where the subtitles match exactly with what people are saying.

3 Likes

I guess they have subtitles for the meaning rather than the whole sentences.

Like I guess somes sounds like よ and ね are skipped.

Or maybe it’s just auto translator from Netflix that translate from English to japanese. or maybe the translation is from another source. Maybe we have the Japanese for Canada, like a different dialect than standard japanese from the mainland. I dont know if these exists. And the translation is Japanese from the mainland.

1 Like

There’s not even really need to change the extension. It doesn’t affect being able to edit with an editor.

1 Like

It depends on the editor. I can open with TeXShop without changing the extension but if I try with Pages it says something like “I can’t open this type of file
”

I changed my profile to Japanese (on Netflix) a while ago.

But subs still seem to be all over the place. Takagi san has Jap subs, Death Note doesn’t.

And then of course Pokemon doesn’t even have Japanese Audio for my region (Australia). Annoying but luck of the draw I guess

1 Like

All netflix originals (or at least all fairly recent ones,) should have J subs and dubs. Anything else seems to be hit or miss.

2 Likes

Ahh ok thanks for that. Good to know.

1 Like

siiigh. i tried watching seinfeld but stopped one episode in cus the subtitles dont match up with the dubs :(((((

1 Like

Sure. I wouldn’t really call Pages a text editor, though. Word processor is probably more fitting.

1 Like

Because the subtitles on non-Japanese content are subtitles and the ones on Japanese content are close-captioning.

I’ve literally watched thousands of episodes on Japanese Netflix by now (1640 according to my log lol) and the subs match exactly since they are all CC. This is essential for me to sentence mine these shows effectively.

Also any Netflix exclusives that are originally in Japanese will also have CC. (ç”‚æœ«ăźăƒŻăƒ«ă‚­ăƒ„ăƒŒăƒŹ for example
 epic show btw
)

I did recently watch the movie 300 in Japanese on Netflix (found it to be more epic in Japanese haha) and ofc the subtitling did not match. I ended up creating a few sentence cards anyway by just transcribing myself though.

Been recommended Squid Game my people and i intend to watch it in Japanese but I know I will have to transcribe if I want to mine since it’s originally in Korean.

1 Like

If I understand correctly, your saying that the characters’ mouths moving not matching the subs makes sentence mining not work? I’m confused.

What you hear and what you read doesn’t match. Both are Japanese, but different wording in the dubbing and the subtitles.

3 Likes

Oh man, that really sucks :c

1 Like

I got the VPN Vanilla mentioned (free), signed into a Japan IP address, went to Netflix.com in a new browser and am able to watch Japanese shows with the CC subtitles that match up perfectly. I was surprised how easy it was to do since I’d read some people saying it’s more difficult now that Netflix is banning many of the IP addresses.

3 Likes