Almost every time I get either these two kanji/radicals/vocab my brain explodes. Does anyone have any tips for differentiating them? I know that one has a longer top but I can never remember which one, and to make it worse apparently, as kanji, they are both made of the Airplane radical even though one is nearly identical to the husband radical, whyyyyy?
I don’t have any mnemonics to help, or anything like that. But each is a pretty strong phonetic component, so if you can remember related kanji that can help too.
み:
- 未
- 味
- 魅
まつ
- 末
- 抹
It also helps to think in terms of words. If you know the word 未来 (みらい) you can remember that 未 is み. And if you know the word 週末 (しゅうまつ) you can remember that 末 is まつ.
The way I remember it is 末 has the long bit at the top or “end” and the 未 kanji’s long bit isn’t at the end yet (not yet). It’s a bit silly but it works for me.

Same method as @zhoshi
, worked well for me
This is so helpful! I was using the same method as @zhoshi , but I hadn’t made the connection with 本 as well.
