Native materials for learning numbers and time?

Hello WK community!

I hope you’re all doing well :D. I’m trying to compile a list of videos, books, audio, etc. created for Japanese children that revolve around teaching numbers and teaching how to tell time. If you’ve come across any native resources like this, I’d love to know about it!

Alternatively / additionally, if you go a googlin’, let me know what terms you use, so maybe I can find additional resources using those terms. Since I’m not a fluent Japanese speaker, it can be challenging to know what to google to find what I want.

Thanks for your help! :heart:

Edit: I’ll compile the list at the top, so I can better keep track.

Numbers

Time

6 Likes

I might throw you a mixed bag here but think NHK for School fits the bill

There’re the math programs… wich in itself aren’t so much a beginners resource (for learners of the language)… but acually are super graphic, slow, scripts are available on the website, notes too.

You migh take a look, even if not for now, for further inquiries or immersion along the way… though (probably you’ll find not too late that it’s very children oriented and hard to watch after some couple of programs.

There’s the older brother of the website aimed at highschoolers as well: Kokokoza :+1:

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing this resource! I’m already looking through it and loooving it. Will definitely put it on the list.

1 Like

I’m not sure if this is what you’re looking for, but here are links to some free printable resources (mostly worksheets, unless otherwise noted).
Many of them have answers 答え/答え有り
If nothing else, maybe it can give you some of the words you need to do your own searching :slight_smile:

Numbers:
for preschoolers http://happylilac.net/sansu-h.html
multiplication table posters 九九表|幼児教材・知育プリント|ちびむすドリル【幼児の学習素材館】
counters posters 物の数え方表ポスター | ぷりんときっず and 数によって音が変わる数え方の表【助数詞:発・品・分・杯・匹・本】 無料ダウンロード・印刷|幼児教材・知育プリント|ちびむすドリル【幼児の学習素材館】
units of measurement 小学生用 算数の単位換算表|ちびむすドリル【小学生】
1st grade 算数ドリル「1年のすう・りょう・ずけい」 無料ダウンロード|ドリルの王様 大特集|ドリルの王様 ~楽しく取り組めるから長続き!苦手対策にも!~ 新興出版社啓林館×ちびむすドリル コラボ企画
2nd grade 算数ドリル「2年の数・りょう・図形」 無料ダウンロード|ドリルの王様 大特集|ドリルの王様 ~楽しく取り組めるから長続き!苦手対策にも!~ 新興出版社啓林館×ちびむすドリル コラボ企画
3rd grade 算数ドリル「3年の数・りょう・図形」 無料ダウンロード|ドリルの王様 大特集|ドリルの王様 ~楽しく取り組めるから長続き!苦手対策にも!~ 新興出版社啓林館×ちびむすドリル コラボ企画
soroban (Japanese abacus) そろばんの読み方(数え方) | ぷりんときっず

Time:
for preschoolers 時計の読み方 練習プリント|幼児教材・知育プリント|ちびむすドリル【幼児の学習素材館】 and 時計の読み方問題プリント | ぷりんときっず
1st grade 算数ドリル「1年のとけい」 無料ダウンロード|ドリルの王様 大特集|ドリルの王様 ~楽しく取り組めるから長続き!苦手対策にも!~ 新興出版社啓林館×ちびむすドリル コラボ企画
2nd grade 算数ドリル「2年の時こくと時間」 無料ダウンロード|ドリルの王様 大特集|ドリルの王様 ~楽しく取り組めるから長続き!苦手対策にも!~ 新興出版社啓林館×ちびむすドリル コラボ企画
3rd grade 算数ドリル「3年の時こくと時間」 無料ダウンロード|ドリルの王様 大特集|ドリルの王様 ~楽しく取り組めるから長続き!苦手対策にも!~ 新興出版社啓林館×ちびむすドリル コラボ企画
calendar display [カレンダーワーク]月・日付・曜日・天気カード(万年カレンダー) 無料ダウンロード・印刷|幼児教材・知育プリント|ちびむすドリル【幼児の学習素材館】
posters 時計の読みかた 学習ポスター|幼児教材・知育プリント|ちびむすドリル【幼児の学習素材館】
a board game とけいすごろく(低学年~) 無料ダウンロード・印刷|ちびむすドリル【小学生】

1 Like

This a bit off the wall, but I used to have a clock like this one:

You tapped the top and it would tell you the time in Japanese. Also it had an alarm that when it went off would go, “Beep! Beep!, Beep! しちじはんです!”

I learned to tell time pretty well after a year or so of that. Mine broke eventually. Don’t know if they’re made anymore.

ETA: looks like they may not sell them new anymore, but a brave soul could attempt to buy one on Yahoo Auctions (which is the Japanese equivalent of EBay).

4 Likes

This is exactly what I’m looking for! Looking at those links made me realize that there are a lot of subjects where it’d be fun to find worksheets like that (esp. for hiragana, katakana and kanji practice). Maybe making a website that compiles all of these resources in one place would be beneficial :O.

1 Like

That’s a pretty fancy clock there :). Love the suggestion!

The two websites that I gave links from (happylilac.net and print-kids.net) are by far the best free resources of that kind that I have found, both in terms of quantity and quality. You could basically give yourself a Japanese elementary education from happylilac alone, and not get bored doing it with the cute designs and creative activities.

2 Likes

Yeah, I really want to explore both of them more. It’s definitely a great way to provide some nice comprehensible input! Thanks again for sharing. Let me know if you ever come across other similar resources! Or really any free media accessible online that’s aimed at children. :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.