Native dark theme on forums

Can we get a native dark theme for the forums please? My eyes thank you for your consideration.

34 Likes

This is my favorite feedback post yet. Seconded! :rofl:

1 Like

What? You don’t enjoy being bathed in a radioactive rain of a thousand dying suns?

3 Likes

17 Likes

…while we’re at it could we get a dark theme for WaniKani itself?

please don’t tell me there is one already and I just haven’t noticed it

I mean, please do, because I want to use it, but I’ll be upset with myself for a while

2 Likes

There are several dark themes for WK, just no native dark theme

1 Like

Yep, sorry, I should have specified. I know there are dark themes, but it would be nice if there were a native one.

Thanks for pointing them out to me though.

@CyrusS Not sure if you’re the right person to tag for this. What are your thoughts on adding a dark theme for the forums?

1 Like

We should add that WK wouldn’t need to write one of their own, there are several dark themes in the repo already.

4 Likes

Yeah, I figured that would be the case, but I didn’t want to state it as a fact since I didn’t know for sure. Thanks for mentioning.

1 Like

I don’t do any of the development side of things, so I’m afraid I’m the wrong person to ask. Personally, I wouldn’t mind one, but I wouldn’t be doing any of the work to make it happen, so my opinion doesn’t really count for much here. :wink:

3 Likes

That’s not true. We value your opinion so much. That’s why the question was directed to you.

1 Like

@viet @oldbonsai Thoughts?

1 Like

Wasn’t aware this was an option:

I’ll look more into it.

21 Likes

This would be good!

I know two quick solutions to the problem of white background and black text.

1. Use your OS’s invert color program.
    A) On Mac OS this is the hotkey “Control-Option-Command-8” and if you need to activate the hotkey it’s here: https://i.imgur.com/FxC8EoG.png
    B) On Windows OS open Magnifier and press “Control-Alt-I” to toggle inverted colors.

2. Install Deluminate on Chrome. The hotkey is “Shift-F11” and it’s nice because it doesn’t invert some images and useful color schemes.
    *Note: I don’t know about similar addons for Firefox, Opera, Edge, Safari, IE, etc.
    **Another Note: I don’t know a simple, fast solution for phone users beyond screen dimming programs: screen dimmer by Sébastien Morand is an example for Andriod phones.

It would be cool if more sites had a dark/light setting, but in the meantime this is how I fix this issue.

OH and there’s a third option:
3) Stylish. Try it out!

1 Like

Change theme by updating your settings here. The dark theme is just the dark preset of Discourse. It needs tweaking (like the logo…), but I’ll get around to it later.

8 Likes

I just happen to already have a version of the logo with white text that I use for my transparent theme, if you want to hotfix it.

Comparison

3 Likes

Ahh thanks. I’ll get it installed now.

3 Likes

My eyes are so happy, thank you.

4 Likes