My Journey of 368 days (+ The Ultimate Guide for WK šŸ“– )

Oh, i wasnā€™t even thinking about not doing it.
Well, then it explains how the 368 boy did it so fast. If you prioritize radicals and kanji, then there will always be some undone vocab lessons. Thank you for answering!

1 Like

Vocabulary is not part of the requirements for you to level up. However, Wanikani without any scripts/addons to manipulate it wonā€™t give you radicals/kanji lessons unless you finish vocabulary from previous levels. In this way, vocabulary is not skippable.

People sometimes abuse scripts that allow you to reorder the items you get in lessons, making it possible to get only radicals and kanji and therefore keep leveling up while skipping vocabulary lessons. But thatā€™s a very bad habit to build, because youā€™ll never fully learn the kanji without the reinforcement that vocabulary lessons provide by hammering the readings in your head and giving you extra ones.

I did not skip a single vocabulary :slight_smile: If you read Chapters 4-7 of my guide (2nd post of this thread), you can see that one can reach level 60 in one year by doing around 20 lessons/day and not skip a single item (but reorder the order you do them instead). This speed requires having a decent amount of time available for just Wanikani every day though (around 60 to 90 minutes).

7 Likes

Oh, iā€™ve read the whole post #1 and #2. You actually changed my life - after reading it i realized that i know nothing about WaniKani. If you think about it - your shared knowledge is incredibly valuable: instead of subscribing for 5 years people would subscribe for 1-3 years. i barely can afford the subscription and your post changed everything. Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom!

Soā€¦ you did every single item, and i imagine it was like this: Day 1 (leveling up) - doing radicals and kanji lessons, Day 2, 3 - doing Vocab lessons. On day 4 you unlock new kanji and everything starts over again?

i dedicate 30+20+20 mins/day and i consider it a small amount of timeā€¦

2 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty close to it. The only differences I did, compared to what you said were:

• Iā€™d spread the kanji between days 1 and days 3. The deadline was on day 3, as Iā€™d have more unlocked kanji and would have to do those immediately to keep the 7 days per level. But I wouldnā€™t do everything on day 1 for most of the levels. Only during the fast levels, Iā€™d pre-study all the kanji of the following level, as doing lessons for 30 kanji in one go would be terrible for my memorization.

• Vocabulary was spread throughout all 7 days during the level. Iā€™d aim for 20-25 lessons a day, so depending on how many kanji I did that day, Iā€™d just complete with vocab. On Day 1, Iā€™d always have to do a bit more lessons, since thereā€™s a decent amount of radicals. They are easier to learn though.

Thatā€™s an interesting perspective to have, never thought of that! :grin: I understand those situations and hopefully that will help you learn better and save better! While on the topic, the Wanikani Team usually holds a lifetime discount during Christmas/New Yearā€™s time (From $299 to $199), so it might be a good opportunity to save some money for you :slight_smile: Even if by then you still have subscription time left to use, theyā€™ll just prorate the not spent time and make the lifetime even cheaper (discount included!).

Let me know if I can help you in any other way ^^

5 Likes

Could someone point out a person who has managed to do it in a year without a script?

The way I see it, using a re-order script sort of takes the challenge away. If the kanjis and radicals always come up first in your review pile because theyā€™re manually rearranged, then thereā€™s no challenge in finishing each level in 6-7 days. Youā€™re never in a pre-burn situation where youā€™re overwhelmed in your review pile because youā€™re moving on too fast.

Oh I just read this. Well, then ok, you do deserve respect. I thought you were just shuffling kanji and radicals on top to level up every time. Hatā€™s to you then.

1 Like

Wow, you are incredible. i think iā€™ve already got everything i need, but sadly i have to stop wanikani because i canā€™t afford it anymore. And itā€™s actually i wanted to propose you some help, because i see you started to learn Russian and i am kinda native speaker and i really want to help someone with my special method of learning!

2 Likes

If thatā€™s the case, try emailing the staff to hello@wanikani.com and explain your situation. Theyā€™re open to hear you out and might even offer you a discount (if that helps). There were people before that couldnā€™t afford the subscription and got a 50% discount code.

Iā€™m curious, whatā€™s this special method of yours? :laughing:

Thanks for the kindness. @FlamySerpent (my girlfriend) has been supporting me with Russian, so I got everything I need to up my Russian for the time being :smiley:

5 Likes

Why didnā€™t I know of this threadā€™s existence?? What have I been doing?? How have I been living my lifeā€¦?!

This

Is

Beautiful

Thank you. So much.

5 Likes

Youā€™re forgiven because you have Emma on your profile picture :heart_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

No, thank you! :3 Hope it helps!

2 Likes

I well used ur guide to starting both kw and follow a schedule that helped me reach level 6 so easily I now do 25 lesson at once every morning and night so that I can learn the most amount and get fluent in japanese as soon as possibleā€¦ You guide also helped me get my focus back I left wk after doing 2 level the first time tried it that was 1 year ago when I was just roaming through the internet I found your post which motivated to start japanese all over again. Thank you so much.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this guide. I feel very fortunate finding it early in my Japanese learning journey, and Iā€™ll make sure to make good use of your advice. Thank you for helping build this wonderful community and being so welcoming.
Anyway, see you in a month!

5 Likes

Speedrun.com WK category now. Any%, NoScripts%, ErrorlessPleasant%, Coelacanth%, the potential is endless!

1 Like

Iā€™m about 30 days in and going full steam ahead!
The most useful advice has been the SRS scheduling: Iā€™ve been doing WaniKani everyday at 6h, 10h and 18h, and that schedule has really kept me consistent so far, while helping me avoid checking back in every hour :P.
Iā€™ve managed to build it into my daily routine, so barring any life changing events, I should be learning at a nice even pace for the foreseeable future.
Thanks again for the excellent advice :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thatā€™s great! Thank you so much for keeping me/us updated! :slight_smile: Donā€™t be afraid to go a bit slower if you start feeling a bit overwhelmed. But if not, at full steam it is! :grin:

4 Likes

Apart from the amazing guide, I think itā€™s really cool you still regularly reply to your level 60 thread, almost 4 years after creation.
(I dunno, just wanted to put that out there.)

4 Likes

Damn, I finished WK 4 years ago. A bit insane! Time flies, or better yet, 光陰ēŸ¢ć®ć”ćØ恗 :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you for doing that :heart: It makes me happy that the guide still gets to be appreciated by all the new users in here :slight_smile: I still try to keep it up to date the best way I can.

7 Likes

This was so helpfullā€¦ at level 5 now but I still quite didnā€™t understand how the system exactly worked. That lesson filter helps so much in streamlining the process!

Today I got 119 new lessons and the first 70 or something were vocabsā€¦ I did them all because I wanted to do the kanji so the levelling up would go on. Should have read this post before doing that :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Does ā€œDo the lessons of the 2nd half of Kanjiā€ mean as quickly as possible? As I understand it, for the 1st half of Kanji I have at least around 3 days (before I guru the radicals) in order to get them guruā€™d and to unlock the next level once Iā€™m done with the second half, without losing time. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m thinking of using the Lesson Filter Script to split up the Kanji of the 1st half into smaller chunks to start memorizing them within these 3 days. But for the 2nd half, am I losing time if I do that, or should I try to do the second half of Kanji all at once in order to not lose any time?

2 Likes

As long as you start them before the second batch of kanji unlock, you should be able to Guru most of them before the second batch (when you Guru those, you will probably level up).

Personally Iā€™ve been trying to go through all of them (since my accuracty has dropped a lot in the 20s, that gives me more chances if I screw up the first review or two). Iā€™m still not sure if that strategy is actually working.

3 Likes

Better late than never :grin: Glad you were able to benefit from the guide! Feel free to ask anything (here or anywhere else on the forums). The community is very friendly :slight_smile:

The 2nd half of kanji needs to be done immediately after leveling up if you wanna keep the speed to 7 days or less per level. The 1st half can be distributed during the first 3 days, like you said :slight_smile: You can do them all on day 1, all on day 3, or just have a bit every day.

Personally I liked to distribute them throughout the days, but I wasnā€™t getting them wrong. Some people like to have a specific day when they have more free time to learn the kanji, as they are usually harder to learn than vocabulary :v:

3 Likes