My Journey of 368 days (+ The Ultimate Guide for WK 📖 )

Absolutely! :slight_smile: It’s really helping to solidify my vocabulary. Thank you again!

1 Like

Fixed 100+ grammar mistakes. I don’t know how you guys were able to read anything I wrote after all the mistakes I’ve seen today. :eyes:

Thanks grammarly for your service.

2 Likes

I do not English. :tada:

2 Likes

Thx for the info. I was sure your voice would be deeper. Well it seem your popularity is rising up. Good job out there

1 Like

まだまだ。I’m still not the most famous Portuguese person in the world :stuck_out_tongue:

I like to think it is :rofl:

1 Like

Ha ha I was sure you were english Native before hearing the podcast. How many language does that make?
Portuguese, English, Japanese, Russian?

1 Like

So are you aiming for Cristiano Ronaldo style famous or Magellan style famous?

1 Like

I don’t really consider Russian in the equation, because I haven’t taken it seriously this past year at all :sweat_smile: 2020 wasn’t a language year for me at all :eyes:

Is some sort of power rangers’ morphing allowed?

1 Like

Was that only related to vocab or didn’t you use mnemonics at all?

I’m asking because i stopped using mnemonics (at lvl 5). I use a simple mapping between the Kanji and the reading instead, without writing anything down. It works perfectly fine so far but i’m a little worried that it could fire back later down the line :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t use WK mnemonics at all. Whenever I’d have trouble memorizing an item, I’d make my own (but using WK’s is fine too).

I think it’s a matter of taking action before items you’re not memorizing well start piling up and it becomes overwhelming. You can use scripts like the self-study and ConfusionGuesser mentioned on Chapter 7, as they help you deal with these harder items.

One thing that it’s important to understand is that SRS only helps with taking new information from the short-term to the long-term memory. What helps with items actually sticking in during your first reviews is repetition (seeing them repeatedly through exposure, self-studying as extra study, etc).

I also want to say that it’s s perfectly fine to have leeches (items that suck your energy because you spend more item learning them). I had around 400 or so when I reached level 60. Everyone has them. So don’t worry if they start appearing as you go through Wanikani. It will be a completely normal thing to happen.

So my advice is to use the above-mentioned scripts and (re)read the mnemonics/make your own whenever you start struggling with an item :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice to hear that someone made it without using mnemonics.

I’m pretty much doing it like you described. I create my own potential leech list with the mark-items userscript and i use self-study-quiz multiple times a day.

The only thing i haven’t found useful yet, is the ConfusionGuesser userscript. The amound of similar looking items are still manageable at this stage.

Thanks for your reply and for helping out again.

2 Likes

This guide is phenomenal. Big shout out to WaniKani Doublecheck, as my fingers fail me on even my native English all the time. I would have failed 女の子 at least three times over by now on account of the triple n keystroke. Jitai and an updated version of the stroke order script have been crucial as well. I’m using a pen tablet with the IME pad to write out the Kanji on KameSame recognition reviews, and having the stroke order right there makes it so much smoother. (The IME relies heavily on stroke order for character recognition, which makes it a whole lot easier to make myself learn it.) I noticed that after deciding to start actually practicing strokes, it became far easier to recognize the more exotic fonts.

The bit on the first 30 levels was extremely encouraging. It’s super comforting to know that in 6 months, I’ll be able to seek out and learn a majority of vocabulary without Kanji being an obstacle.

2 Likes

If it’s easier for you, one alternative to “onnna” is “on’na”.

2 Likes

Wow, I found your guide by chance in the lastest posts, kinda new to WK, so your guide was inspirational and very useful. Kuddos!

1 Like

Glad you guys enjoyed the reading :heart: Let me know if I can do anything for you :slight_smile: @RushianAgent @ZeoRaiden

Oh, you’re going hardcore! :grin: For that level of speed, be really strict with doing lessons consistently every day and with leaving 0 or just a few reviews left to do at the end of the day. The faster one goes, the harder WK gets at us when we lose control.