Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

Makes sense. I haven’t seen the first two Kanji before, but the 羽 radical should have been a red flag :joy:

2 Likes

You learn 片on level 39 and 翼 on level 44.

I was just browsing the FFVII OST and as soon as I seen the title I knew what it was. It makes sense :joy:

1 Like

掏り替える - to switch/replace/substitute but with the nuance that it’s done in a skillful/clever manner such that the replacement is done without being found out. Like if a thief were to steal a painting but leave behind a fake in order to make the crime go unnoticed.

Derived from the words meaning pickpocket and replace.

3 Likes

Today I learnt the word 歴女 「れきじょ」.

A type of female otaku who are into history and often affect pre-industrial mannerisms and language at conventions.

7 Likes

I love how specific this is. Do you mind if I ask where you encountered it, and if there is a specific period of history they tend to center around?

1 Like

I was doing a bit of reading for one of the book clubs and one of the characters was described as it. Beyond that I’m not sure, but there is a Wikipedia article about it!

3 Likes

There’s some interesting information in this Weblio definition if you can read a monolingual dicationary:

If you need something in English this is a lot more detailed:

2 Likes

意識高い系
It’s a young person who acts pretentiously to look cool and successful in respect to their career.

There’s even a stereotypical image of young guy sitting in a Starbucks with a Macbook pretending to work on their next startup idea.

That Japanese Man Yuta just made a video explaining it.

4 Likes

I saw 野蛮 (やばん) twice in two completely different places in the middle of Arizona in one day and learned it means savage. The universe really wanted me to learn this word. Unfortunately, I did not recognize the kanji 野 in the wild and only found it by searching radicals.

2 Likes

入力(にゅうりょく) from wanikani level 2 vocabulary. Didn’t expect to learn new vocab so early on. This wanikani journey should be fun!

4 Likes

自爆
I don’t know if 弾丸 has to be with the anime title but it helped me memorize it.

り - night fishing

感想 is one of my favorites. It’s used a lot at the end of manga, as in “Please tell us your impressions.” My mnemotic for it is “can so.”

I learned a big girl word yesterday, 差別 (さべつ) Discrimination. Now I can accuse people of 外国人差別 if I’m ever microaggressed. But I won’t.

4 Likes

最奥 − deep inside, innermost

By this point, I’m well acquainted with 最, but this kanji was new to me.

2 Likes

地獄 (じごく) - Hell

I’m currently reading Japanese Stories for Language Learners by Eriko Sato and Anne McNulty. There are five short stories in it, two traditional tales plus three by 20th Century authors. The word is from Kumo no Ito (The Spider’s Thread) by Akutagawa Ryunosuke (1892-1927), a tale about Buddha and how he helps a sinner escape from hell by letting a spider’s web reach down into the Lake of Blood.

4 Likes

I learned this word from a haiku by Kobayashi Issa. It’s one of my favourite haiku I’ve ever read and it’s quite easy for the learner to understand in terms of structure and vocabulary:

世の中は地獄の上の花見かな

4 Likes

シャープペンシル
The word sharp pencil comes from the company that created it: Sharp Corporation. His founder Mr. Hayakawa created a kind of pencil Named “Ever Sharp”:open_mouth::exploding_head:

2 Likes

I came across 導かれる (みちびかれ)while reading Sailor Moon, and immediately thought, hmmm…I have heard this word before - in the Japanese version of the Sailor Moon theme song!

1 Like

ユーマ (U.M.A.): the abbreviated form of Unidentified Mysterious Animal, or cryptid. The much longer alternative is 未確認生物(みかくにんせいぶつ) which means unconfirmed animal.

Edit: fixed reading

3 Likes

Shouldn’t that be みかくにんせいぶつ? :slight_smile:

1 Like