More quality learning

I just wanted to know your opinion.
So wanikani is ofcourse in my eyes very good in learning the kanji, I have set my daily goal(short-term), but also long term. I dont really think about it any more just execute.

So I wanna set a goal to read the same page from satori reader everyday, for example until I can read it fluently, and then move to page 2.

• so read through it
  • save 5 words every day and review daily
  • read again

I have feeling like i need more speaking to myself , more sentences reading or specially listening sounds foggy most of the time to.

1 Like

There are 3 levels to reading that I use when working through something:

1. Grammatically. Just skip over words you don’t know. You should be able to pick out what’s a noun, an object, a verb, etc. If not, look at the translation and review the grammar, but don’t sweat it too much.
  2. Literal translation. You can identify all the words and you know what they mean.
  3. Full understanding. You not only know what the words mean, you know what the sentence means.

Here’s an example from their webpage:

ηŒ«γ―γ€γ²γͺγŸγ‚’θ¦‹γ€γ‘γ‚‹γ¨γ€γγ“γ§ζ˜Όε―γ‚’γ—ε§‹γ‚γΎγ—γŸγ€‚

1. noun+は, noun+γ‚’ verb+と, there+で noun+γ‚’ verb. So far so good. Identifying the past tense form of し始まる is a bit tricky but learning grammar will help with that as well as the particles.
  2. Ok, the easy ones are ηŒ«γ­γ“/cat/WK15, そこ/there/Japanese101, and θ¦‹δ»˜γΏγ€γ‘γ‚‹/to find/WK9. ζ˜Όε―γ²γ‚‹γ­/nap/WK22 is Wanikani Level 22 so you’ll learn that later and can skip the review on SatoriReader. ひγͺた is a bit tricky since they don’t use the Kanji (ζ—₯向) and it’s not on WK. し始める is also tricky but the meanings are pretty much the same so it’s not too bad. The harder part would be to recognize the ε§‹γ‚γΎγ—γŸ form.
  3. This one is fairly straightforward, so the word meanings go straight into the sentence meaning.

In this case, you would only really need to add ζ—₯向ひγͺた to your reviews.

I’ve found that the further I go in WK, the less items I need to add for review on SR and in most cases, I’ll just look it up a word once and move on. I’m reading ε₯₯ζ—₯ε…‰ right now and so far there are only a handful of words I needed to look up.

4 Likes

What’s this? The γ€Œγ—γ€especially.

Should be する right?

1 Like

I’m not sure what it’s supposed to be, really.

I’ll just drop this here

http://maggiesensei.com/2014/11/12/how-to-use-v-始めるhajimeru-だすdasuかけるkakeru/

γγ“γ§ζ˜Όε―γ‚’γ—ε§‹γ‚γΎγ—γŸγ€‚
Over there is where they began their nap.

I already know this grammar construct.
I just now realised that the β€œγ—β€ is from β€œγ—γΎγ™β€, which is what was confusing me. It didn’t click until just now when I saw the sentence again.

1 Like

Yes, I just realised that. It confused me to see β€œγ—β€ in β€œγ—ε§‹γ‚γ‚‹β€, not realising that it’s from β€œγ—γΎγ™β€

1 Like

Yeah, this is one of the reasons the desu/masu form is a little confusing. Glad you got it sorted. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.