Meaning/Reading Coloring - Userscript Extension

Hi all,

After being tired of get wrong answers related to meaning/reading confusion (especially during my midnight review).
And based on this suggestion: /t/Suggestion-color-node-meaningreading/1939/1

I decided to create my own Userscript for Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey to add this functionality.

Link to the script:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/168003
It works in the last version of Firefox and Chrome, and last version of Greasemonkey/TamperMonkey.

It will add this in the review screen (not lesson):
(v 0.2)

Feel free to give ideas or report bugs to help me improve this, it lacks of design cause i made this in a few minutes.
Thanks.

XD

Is it possible to change the bar color too?

Apraxas said...    

XD

Is it possible to change the bar color too?
 I literally lol'd. And yeah, please change the color to something more eye-friendly, it hurts xD Otherwise, great extension! 

Yeah… before I install it, could you make some changes to make it prettier, pretty please?

For meaning why don’t we have a white bar with black font and for reading keep the black bar with the white font?

I had a dream where they added very subtle effects to the bar and background. 

Whenever it wants meaning you will see faint Roman alphabet letters around, If it wants reading you will see hiragana around, inviting you to the correct side in a decorative way…

I mean… you could almost auto pilot if you had the letters around telling your brain the correct kind of characters you are supposed to be typing.

Alucardeck, your link to the script is broken (text looks right, but the link itself points to your other script).

As far as colors, it’s pretty easy to edit the script yourself and pick whatever colors you want.

Apraxas said...Whenever it wants meaning you will see faint Roman alphabet letters around, If it wants reading you will see hiragana around, inviting you to the correct side in a decorative way...

I mean... you could almost auto pilot if you had the letters around telling your brain the correct kind of characters you are supposed to be typing.
That's basically already there, their are faint letter or kanji in the answer box, depending on whether it wants meaning or reading.

Or maybe you're being factitious...?

enharrin said...
Apraxas said...Whenever it wants meaning you will see faint Roman alphabet letters around, If it wants reading you will see hiragana around, inviting you to the correct side in a decorative way...

I mean... you could almost auto pilot if you had the letters around telling your brain the correct kind of characters you are supposed to be typing.
That's basically already there, their are faint letter or kanji in the answer box, depending on whether it wants meaning or reading.

I think he's asking you to change Reading for something like 読みなさい or whatever it ought to be

enharrin said...

the One I instantly erase with my text? lol I didnt even notice. I was talking about the background or around the area.

haha sorry for the colors, i uploaded in hurry, i have more time to check it now.

btw, the reason of the strong colors are to not need to look it anymore.
i tried speed mode with 20 reviews, it worked very well, i just look the kanjis on screen and i could understand if it was meaning/reading in less than a sec…

someone please tell me what colors for Text/Background you want to both Meaning/Reading and i send a new version (it will automatic upload your installed).
http://html-color-codes.info/
http://www.mxstudio.com.br/Conteudos/Dreamweaver/Cores.htm

Apraxas said...
enharrin said...

the One I instantly erase with my text? lol I didnt even notice. I was talking about the background or around the area.
 tell exactly what you want,
make the Question in 日本語 for readings?  like 漢字の読書?
and for meaning, keeps the same.

enharrin said... Alucardeck, your link to the script is broken (text looks right, but the link itself points to your other script).

As far as colors, it's pretty easy to edit the script yourself and pick whatever colors you want.
 Still getting the error? i installed from a different machine and it worked.

You don’t need a user script for this: a user style is sufficient. I’ve been using a very simple one; think I posted it on the forum previously, but I’ve just uploaded it to userstyles.org to make it easier for other folks to install it. It makes the question bar have a green background for readings, and a red one for meanings.

http://userstyles.org/styles/87871/wanikani-meaning-reading-style

You need the Stylish extension for Chrome or Firefox to use it. Once you have the style installed, you can easily edit the CSS in Stylish to tweak the colors to your liking.

I’m out of reviews for the next 2 hours, so no screenshots for now :slight_smile:

Apraxas said...
enharrin said...

Yeah ok, I guess it does loose its utility as soon as it disappears. Still, better than it used to be when there was nothing there at all. =)

I think the idea of floating something around the background would actually be kind of cool.

i cant get this to work.  :(
not sure if its cuz i already use a couple other extensions/scripts but i tried it after disabling those and still it won’t work for me

zeldaskitten said... i cant get this to work.  :(
not sure if its cuz i already use a couple other extensions/scripts but i tried it after disabling those and still it won't work for me
 can you please tell me what Browser version and GreaseMonkey version are you using?
i will try to simulate it here;

Hah, am I the only one who doesn’t have a problem with gray = meaning, black = reading? 

Anyways, your effort is appreciated!

Satoshi said... Hah, am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with gray = meaning, black = reading? 

Nope! Even the purple/pink/blue looks different to me depending on whether the bar is black or grey.

But I think it's great that the WK users work together to make these scripts. I love it when games (or game-like things) have good communities, even though my computer illiteracy means I always seem to be benefitting and never giving...

Satoshi said... Hah, am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with gray = meaning, black = reading? 

Thanks,
idk why so much problem about a small black/gray bar too..
never saw they complain about the BIG RED on Kanji background, that i had to low my GPU brightness.

i changed something, i though it is better to notice when you have reading or meaning now.

I’ve tried installing it but it doesn’t work. 

Chrome: 26.0.1410.64 m
Tampermonkey: