Master List of Book Clubs

It depends on how fast you go through them.

One thread per volume with a reading pace of one volume per month is one thread per month.

I ultimately settled on story arc threads for the Sailormoon informal book club. This fit multiple volumes into one thread per story arc. (But there was also low discussion, and the threads were mostly for pacing.)

5 Likes

Oh, this is a wonderful idea. There are certainly multi-volume arcs in Naruto, so this would be a great tactic.

I’ll definitely check out your setup over there (I also have the first ten volumes of sailor moon on my shelf, so that may be something I add to later ^^) Thank you for the advice!

2 Likes

I might copy that for JoJo when New Years comes around. Thanks!

5 Likes

In line with regular book club start dates, would Sat., October 14th, work as a good beginning date for you? I can make a home thread this weekend for general discussion and then, later, begin an actual reading thread for the first arc on the 14th.

2 Likes

Sounds like a solid plan! I am not sure exactly what members of the community would expect; but I can at least make sure that I can help with the reading guidance.

I think the following columns are crucial:

The word or expression, kanji-kana (perhaps converted to dictionary form), kana, direct (local) meaning, contextual explanation, general (cultural) explanation, three columns that allow for discussion or diverting interpretations

• also I have the idea to turn the whole project into an ebook later on in a series of books I was planning to do (yomimashou!). And proportionality divide all income to all contributors. This could motivate people to free up more time. The risk of monetization is that it could kill the more naive and interested attitude people might have.
2 Likes

There is a vocabulary template that we use for the vast majority of book clubs, linked to in this thread:

If you want just the vocab sheet template:

2 Likes

I think the 21th of October is a bit better (I can assure I am free on that day).

We can DM via Twitter if something (urgent) pops up: @FatihKilic075

1 Like

no problem, drop in on a day that suits you best!

I finally added the status key and a little bit of instruction that I put together when changing the main clubs to tables this summer. (It was hidden away in a comment from when I did the change.) Although I simply deleted the sentence I had about possibly explaining Natively, it might be good to put in instructions for that. I think when a book has a series, that is what is linked with the Natively level, but I’m not sure that has been kept up. So I just deleted my sentence, because it felt safer.

1 Like

Hey folks! In the ABBC we were talking about people missing the vote for the next book, and how we can notify them. Just setting the ABBC thread on “Watching” isn’t really good for that; you’d get hundreds of notifications that have absolutely nothing to do with the vote. There were other ideas using external tools, e.g. Discord or mailing lists, but all of those add complications and people who don’t want to use them. I’d love to have something where people can get notified without being spammed by lots of unrelated messages and without having to go outside the forums and adding more overhead than necessary.

So I suggested a “Book Club Voting Notification Thread”. It will only contain one kind of post: “The vote for the ABBC just started [LINK].” Since that is all, you can set it to “Watching” and get notifications without getting spammed.

I think we’ll definitely make that for the ABBC to test it out, but maybe it’ll also be useful for other book clubs? I made a thread for talking about that (and the idea in general):

10 Likes

I don’t know what’s going on with コンビニ人間 in the table, but something is messed up. The break tags are wrong, but when I fixed them it still didn’t render correctly, so I should probably let someone who knows what it’s intended to look like fix it instead.

5 Likes

Obs! Anyone who has forum scripts to help with furigana need to turn them off when editing the master list. I assume there is automatic conversion and that put random ruby tags in our nice and clean tables.

Secondly, when you have made an edit, it is a good habit to scroll through and make sure nothing got accidentally messed up. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Looks like the same thing happened in the removed nominations table over in [Seeking Nominations!] Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: この美術部には問題がある!. Oof!

6 Likes

Went ahead and fixed that one too, since no one else was.

Basically, the script seems to react to a link that comes right after a br tag, so if it happens somewhere else, just remove all the ruby code, fix the br’s < > and add back [ ] around the link text.

3 Likes

Thanks! Wanna report a bug to the script author too? Maybe they can fix it if it’s still under active development.

1 Like

I have no idea which script is the problem. Is there only one script for easy furigana? I don’t use it myself, because Safari refuses to let scripts work on the forum, so I’m not the best person to help the script author either.

Ah, my bad. I assumed you used it based on how confident you were in the cause. I think there’s only one though. I’ll post in that topic and let them look into it.

2 Likes

Nah, I just know ruby code for furigana, because I’ve used it a couple of times, and no one accidentally puts that in a random place with actual words put in the right place to appear as furigana. I did look into using the script for easy furigana and another forum script, but even with help from script authors and trying different script managers, it didn’t really work with Safari. So I happen to have some experience with how they work through trying to get them to work for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A prevention is to put a space between <a>[b] => <a> [b], and <a>{b} => <a> {b}. Particularly, HTML tag <br> and markdown links [text](url) occasionally can be found adjacently.

About the Furigana script, it has been broken again for a while. Emoter uses roughly the same hacks and is now broken as well.

1 Like

It is good to know there is a way to prevent it, but I also feel like it shouldn’t be on everyone else to adapt around a script that only X% of people use. Any time any of us edit a wiki, it is on us to make sure we don’t accidentally break something.

7 Likes