Master List of Book Clubs

Maybe you can find one secondhand? I bought my first Kindle reconditioned (half price) and the next one secondhand (¼ price), that could be a way to see your preferred readers in person…

2 Likes

Would that I could. I buy most of my electronics second hand, but I had a look at all the domestic sites and only found a single Kindle e-reader

1 Like

@lifev Please put your new entry in the correct order based on the description given in the section you edited.

@CDR-Strawberry I’m gonna call you out for not following the editing instructions. :stuck_out_tongue: Please fix. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried :sob: guess I’ll try again

edit: success. tech level up? maybe

1 Like

Wait, おじさまと猫 was already listed in the misc section. Now it’s listed twice. :sweat_smile:

Should probably just remove the new listing you added since it’s not officially associated with absolute beginner book club.

1 Like

Should this be listed as on hiatus?

3 Likes

Probably, yes.

2 Likes

@Micki If the book you added wasn’t officially selected by ABBC, you should put it in the miscellaneous section.

Official means selected by the recurring poll.

The Absolute Beginner club only select books by poll about half the time.

1 Like

Well, whatever official means for that club then. I read the post for the Dragon Ball manga and explicitly saw that it wasn’t official, which is why I brought it up.

Indeed, if we removed from the ABBC all the books not decided on by a poll, that would mean loads would go and the ABBC would lose much of its meaning (as a place where easier books are discussed). Surely, if a bookclub is at an ABBC level, it ought to be in the ABBC.

Ought to be in ABBC in what sense? In the ABBC list in this topic or in some other way? I ask because if we applied the same logic to beginner and intermediate, there’d be a ton of “unofficial” book clubs in those lists, and I don’t think that makes sense. All the sections except miscellaneous are meant for the long-term ongoing book clubs that have recurring polls. So basically, let me put it this way: If the ABBC group sanctions a book that wasn’t actually voted on, feel free to put it in the ABBC list; if they do not sanction it, please put it in miscellaneous.

1 Like

Yes, that makes sense… though who knows what sanction means here? I can see that all this is a minefield!

Well, if it is mentioned in the OP of the ABBC as belonging to the ABBC, then it is sanctioned. For instance Dragon Ball SD is mentioned but

So I guess it means that it’s not “sanctioned”? That part is less clear to me, since the home thread seems to say it belongs to the ABBC. I feel some clarification might be needed here.

I was going by the criteria set out in this thread, i.e. it winning a poll. But since it is mentioned in the main ABBC home thread post I might as well remove the disclaimer. I just didn’t want to be too presumptuous :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

I’m going to barrel in on this conversation both in support and also to throw a spanner in the works :stuck_out_tongue:

The ABC does have a fairly established history (in the relatively small number of picks they’ve done, that is) of having a parallel group running running an alternative format. As in, although Dragon Ball wasn’t officially selected by the poll, it is being run as the highest-ranking manga specifically as an alternative for those who want a manga rather than a book.

Previously there have been parallel ABC books when a manga was selected, and so on. So in the history of the club it seems reasonable, although I’m not sure whether this was particularly discussed in the ABC thread this time (by which I literally mean I don’t know because I didn’t follow the conversation closely).

On the other hand, I’d actually been considering suggesting the nomination get moved to the BBC after it didn’t win in the latest poll, cos it looks kind of hard to me :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I think it’s great to an alternative ABBC option especially because the books are read over such a looooong time – but does get a bit confusing when there is a poll run…

Dragon Ball SD wasn’t picked by the group (it came 4th for whatever reason), so it’s a bit confusing why this one would be prominent in the ABBC OP and not another one like おじさまと猫 (which also wasn’t voted – the nomination was removed because the club was set up just a few days before the poll).

3 Likes

I don’t think there’s a very strong argument for Ojisama, as an aside - it was started at a random point in time with no particular association to the ABC, and has ended up running mostly at the same time as the official ABC manga pick, so it’s not providing an alternative medium or start point.

2 Likes