Master List of Book Clubs

I’ll admit I was unaware of this back when I classified it as Beginner. I was looking more at the general grammar usage in the first couple of chapters as a guide.

Or, asked another way, “Easier than Death Note + more pages per week = ?”

3 Likes

To be fair, grammar-wise Sailor Moon isn’t hard; it probably is Beginner there. And maybe the vocabulary isn’t wide enough to add to the difficulty enough to take it out of there.

2 Likes

Almost certainly beginner. There is that awkward point between beginner and intermediate that I think a lot of manga fall into, but I don’t think many with a relatively normal setting like Orange would be classified as intermediate or higher. Not to mention that Orange has full furigana.

Where did you hear that? I know that’s often the case for books selected between intermediate and advanced book clubs, but intermediate book club picks so few manga I’ve never heard this comparison with beginner book club before.

3 Likes

I kinda asked which book club I should join, or had the ability to join. So it wasn’t specifically about manga. But then it might have been more about my situation/reading ability, rather than in a kinda general sense about the clubs.

2 Likes

Hey there,

Is it here where nominations are done?

I’d like to see if there’s any interest in reading 進撃の巨人 (Attack On Titan)
I begun reading it this morning and am currently compiling dictionary sheets.
Don’t know if I’ll realize that it’s too hard for my level and stop on the 10th page tho haha, I’m just trying and see how far I’m able to get.

3 Likes

If you want to nominate it for a specific club such as the Intermediate book club (I think most were in agreement that AoT is a bit hard for Beginner book club). You’d do that in their home thread, here and use the template available in the first post.

On the other hand, if you are hoping to start an independent book club (which would be listed under miscellaneous book clubs (scheduled/non-scheduled)), the best way to check interest is to create your own topic in reading/book clubs (have we decided where those interest seeking topics fits best? I can’t remember :confounded:) and see if any other people are interested in reading it right now.

3 Likes

Thanks for your answer,

Well I’d say that if this manga really fits into the intermediate category, there’s no chance I’ll be able to get to the end of chapter 1…
On the other hand, if I make it, everyone can make it :joy: so I’ll nominate it in the beginner book club eventually, or just put it aside and not nominate it at all

That’s what I’m going to do, thanks for the advice!

1 Like

Anyone could technically read anything with enough tenacity and aggressive use of dictionaries and grammar look ups. However, not everyone has that time/energy available for extended periods of time, and the more they struggle with reading something, the more likely they are to drop it.

The reason AoT probably don’t fit in Beginner is because it would be too much struggling for most people at that reading level. Not that it would be impossible for them to get through it. ^^

5 Likes

Also isn’t it like a chapter a week?
My man here reading 2 a day of Takagi. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Which one is a chapter a week? Because depending on chapter length, that is true for either club. xD

Looking at Natively, Takagi is level 19 and AoT is level 29. So the difference in difficulty is quite a lot. But at the same time, if @mariodesu can read about 35-50 manga pages a week of AoT, I think technically it could be nominated in IBC and they would be able to keep up since that is the general speed (I think?) for that club. Although it wouldn’t have a chance to be voted and won for a few months since IBC aren’t currently voting (seems next pick will start late October so voting would be late August/early September somewhere).

3 Likes

I see what you mean, in fact I have to say that I am being able to put into it high quality resources, but 2 months and 18 days ago I didn’t even know hiragana, I mean I’m pretty weak at everything atm so I’m confident that if I can make it, every well intentioned beginner can make it!

Yesterday I did 3 :wink::rofl:

Now that I think of it, it may definitely be the case of an Intermediate book club because a volume is divided into 5 chapters if I’m not wrong, while Takagi-san is divided into 9, that means a lot of pages to read every week if it will be divided into weekly chapters read.
I don’t really know anything else on the difficulty tho, will update later also if encounter too difficult stuff

1 Like

Honestly, this should negate any negative emotions you have about your memory and stuff. Going from zero to reading a manga in 2 and a half months is not something people normally do.

Imo, you’d be better off making your own thread and asking questions there. It would tell everyone who’s interested how hard it is, plus just make it easier to manage.

Nominations are a maybe in the future type of thing.

3 Likes

Yet, the only Japanese answer I could give to this is いえいえ :rofl:

Seriously I believe that the only reason why I made it in a relatively short amount of time is because I used a good method and had the right people helping me, while putting on it a lot of time and effort… for the rest I’m totally average on everything and below the average on some things, sometimes I think that for my effort, I should obtain a bit more results

Just a reminder: URLs in the OP should be in the form https://community.wanikani.com/t/x/12345, not https://community.wanikani.com/t/12345. Note the x that should be included. When the x is missing sometimes it acts weird and in the past it has completely broken, so it’s safer to include it. I’m mentioning again because I noticed some URLs in the OP were missing the x.

3 Likes

What is the WK minimum level for Absolute Beginner?

2 Likes

WK level: 0

Grammar: good to know the basics and be ready to learn a lot along the way

Vocabulary: you’ll never know enough, so be ready to look up words (and/or utilize the book club vocabulary lists)

18 Likes

Hi everyone, is anyone thinking of starting a Bleach reading group? Also, I really wonder in which level (beginner, advanced?) it would fall. Would be nice if someone could give me their estimation.

I’d peg it as… beginner? It’s aimed at school-age boys, after all. It’s got full furigana, though some of the comedic scenes can get quite wordy. Think some of the shinigami speak in some fairly archaic styles, though since only Rukia shows up for the first few volumes, that’s less of an issue until you really start to get into it.

If you want to have a look for yourself, the first chapter is available for free on the Shonen Jump website here:

But oof, that early art style…

4 Likes

Hey, it has character. :eyes:

3 Likes

I just realized the VN (visual novel) club have completely forgot to add itself to the master list. I know we’re not reading a book or even manga, but otherwise it is being run like a book club, in fact like one of the main book clubs. (We vote for a VN to read together after nominations and then read that pick together and then vote on the next one. We just happened to have a tie with the second pick, so we’re reading two in parallel.)

I’m thinking all of our VN reads probably fall under intermediate because it would be a lot of work for a beginner to keep up with the reading speed.

So I was just thinking of adding them to misc book clubs (scheduled), what do you guys think? Or should a VN dropdown be made (as a club, we’re only up to 3 read together, so it would be a bit sparse yet, but might be necessary later if the club keeps going)? I know another VN has a thread although I think that one was read non-scheduled. (I can’t remember which one it was, and I didn’t see it when glancing through the list in the OP so that one might not be included right now either.)

5 Likes