March 11 2022 Content Updates

Kanji

(4) - added あるじ to kun’yomi readings.

駿 (53) - added はやお to nanori readings.

(11) - added いくさ to kun’yomi readings.

(20) - added “property” as alternative meaning and moved “birth” to allow list.

Vocabulary

捜査 (25) - added “manhunt” as alternative meaning, added “investigation” and “search” to allow list, updated meaning explanation, and added one context sentence.

提出 (22) - moved “turning in” to allow list, added “turn in”, “present”, “submit”, “file”, and “hand in” to allow list, updated meaning explanation, and added one context sentence.

判断 (21) - moved “judgement” to allow list, added “judge”, “decide”, and “conclude” to allow list, and added three context sentences.

定額 (24) - moved “ration” to allow list, added “set amount”, “set sum”, and “flat sum” to allow list, updated reading explanation, and added two context sentences.

割引 (25) - added “reduction” and “price reduction” to allow list, and added one context sentence.

観光 (22) - added “tourism” as alternative meaning, added “sightsee” to allow list, and added two context sentences.

公営 (22) - added “publicly run”, “municipal”, “publicly managed”, “government managed”, “government management”, and “public management” to allow list, and added two context sentences.

裁く (23) - added “to judge someone” to allow list, and added two context sentences.

応援する (24) - added “transitive verb” as word type, added “to root for someone”, “to cheer someone on”, “to cheer for someone”, “to support”, and “to support someone” to allow list, and added one context sentence.

朝寝坊 (24) - added “sleeping late” and “late sleeper” to allow list.

市営 (22) - added “publicly run”, “municipal”, “publicly managed”, “municipal management”, “city managed”, “managed by the city” and “public management” to allow list.

過ぎる (22) - made “to pass” primary meaning, added “to be over” and “to be too much” as alternative meanings, moved “to surpass” and “to exceed” to allow list, added “to expire”, “to go too far”, and “too” to allow list, updated meaning and reading explanations, replaced one context sentence, and added two context sentences.

過ぎ (24) - added “excess”, “excessive”, “too”, and “over” to allow list, updated meaning explanation, and added two context sentences.

​​可燃ゴミ (24) - added “nonburbable garbage,” “nonburnable trash,” and “nonburnable rubbish” to the block list.

不燃ゴミ (24) - added “burnable trash,” and “burnable rubbish” to the block list.

送る (9) - added “to end” to block list.

尋ねる (31) - added “to invite” to the block list.

監督 (29) - updated meaning explanation, edited on context sentence, and added two context sentences.

倒産 (20) - added “go bankrupt” as alternative meaning, added “failure” and “go broke” to allow list, and updated meaning explanation.

破産 (35) - added “go bankrupt” as alternative meaning, and updated meaning explanation.

共産党 (32) - updated meaning explanation.

遺産 (36) - updated meaning explanation.

故に (28) - updated meaning explanation.

花粉症 (31) - added “pollinosis” as alternative meaning and “pollenosis” to allow list.

潜る (43) - fixed an error that was preventing the primary meaning from being listed first in some situations.

研修生 (30) - added “trainer” to the block list.

23 Likes

Thank you, Jenny!

6 Likes

Nice, I learned あるじ from Sekiro (historic/fantasy game), used for “master” (of a servant, as a salutation/form of address - the servant calls the master あるじ).
Seems like a historic/uncommon reading (or you just don’t talk about “masters” like this often anymore).

7 Likes

I learned it (with the same meaning) from Koteki no Kanata which is a medieval fantasy book :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you, Jenny! :grin:

1 Like

I’ve seen it in a few fantasy light novels too, but since those are often set in medieval settings anyway that makes sense :grin:

4 Likes

Yes, according to Wikipedia (iirc) the term “fantasy” even implies that it’s in a medieval / pre-industrial setting. But that was not clear to me for a long time as I took the term “fantasy” more by its obvious-to-me meaning of “thought-out; not real” and so I thought “fantasy” can be set in any time and in any setting as long it has some non-realistic aspects to it. Therefore I sometimes make it a bit more explicit that it’s medieval.
And yes, I think it’s (hopefully) rather unique to such types of settings to speak of “masters” of “slaves” / “servants” :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah, fantasy is usually inspired by history and borrows part of the setting.

And yes, historically “slaves” and “masters” are often an unpleasant and unfortunate context, though I think “servant”/あるじ can also have more positive dimensions - in Sekiro, the protagonist you play willingly becomes the servant of his master because he believes in him. Being a servant can be voluntary.

5 Likes

Learned the いくさ reading of 戦 from the word 戦場 while playing Arceus. Has an older feel to it.

1 Like

Thank you, Jenny :smiley:

2 Likes