Mango App?

So Google has been stalking me hard. Throwing ads at me for numerous different language learning apps/sites. But one came up I had never seen anywhere before. Mango.
Anyone used it before? Thoughts? Looked on WK, but don’t see it mentioned in the last few years. Most reviews I see in a quick Googling are also quite old. I’m sure its probably changed in last few years.
Marketing on it is a bit iffy. They claim that its “free access through your library”. But then elsewhere say the special going on is free until June 30, thanks to library outreach. So… I assume that “free” they’re trying to claim is really “free trial”?

I don’t know the material, but the do have course outline for their Japanese course:

They have pricing here:

Seems it’s normally a two-week free trial, but as many people are required to stay home right now, Mango is providing a longer “free trial” through library programs.

Your library may buy some kind of subscription which they then pass on to all library card holders in the form of free access. There is also a paid course for those whose libraries do not have a subscription.
I have used it through a few different iterations/updates. It is similar to Pimsleur and can be used offline. If you like Pimsleur, you might like Mango. I find the woman’s voice a bit sleep inducing but the content is practical conversational and survival Japanese. It helped me during my trip to Japan last year.
You do not have to do it in a particular order. Do not expect to learn grammar specifically.

2 Likes

Looks like my library does partner with it. So for the ticket price of $0, I guess its worth a shot.
Did one lesson so far. “This course uses romaji” :woozy_face: But, course does start from zero, so… hopefully they transition at some point…
From one lesson, it does in fact seem fairly Pimsleury. Super basic conversation, asks for how to say X a few times, and gives a grammar note. Allows you to record yourself saying something, to compare to native. Doesn’t do any sort of analysis, you just listen to both and compare on your own. A feature I won’t be using.

2 Likes

Yo, I have a lot of experience with mango. I used mango when I was in high school because my library subscribed to it and I got it for free. It was good for me starting out because it helped me learn hiragana and some basic sentence structures. It’s marketed as “conversational” so it doesn’t really go into kanji or katakana, but it’s good if you’re just interested in learning basic vocab. If you’re above n5, I wouldn’t recommend.

EDIT: Unless you just want the listening practice, but in that case, just do the review pages at the end of each chapter.

5 Likes

I agree with @Dandi, I’ve used it somewhat and there’s no kanji in it anywhere and the grammar explanations are not very thorough. I used it when I started learning Japanese and I was so confused on why some characters were written and hiragana and others in katakana and why things like ‘chi’ + ‘small yu’ were pronounced as ‘chu’. It’s also definitely conversation-based so the pace is super slow-- it might be useful for learning basic vocab but, again, there’s no kanji, so it’s not worth it imo.

The record listen can compare can be quite useful. When LingoDeer introduced it (in a very convenient and easy to use way) it helped me notice I was pronouncing し with an english accent.