Manga in japanese

Hmm you know I might be misremembering…I know there were other digital bookstores that I couldn’t use a US card with, but maybe it wasn’t Amazon (I do after all use my US card to buy other things from them). For whatever reason I can’t buy anything on Kindle though. Everything shows up as “Not currently available” if I’m logged in.

You have to set up a Japan address and place a few orders with a Japan IP. Then it lets you do whatever you want.

2 Likes

Nice, I’ll give that a shot! I’m happy with Honto for manga but novels are kind of a pain since you can only read them in the app.

1 Like

Just in case other people read this thread, I haven’t had problems with my French credit card on Amazon.co.jp. Like @seanblue wrote above, I just needed to set up a Japanese forwarding address, and set my Kindle region to Japan (and I use a VPN sometimes to avoid getting blocked).

Thank you, I’m in Costa Rica. My cards usually work fine but I will check with the bank just in case.

Once you are performing the payment, the billing address and the rest should be inserted in English or Japanese?

If I already have a US Amazon account, does this mean that I would need to use another email for the Japanese Amazon account?

Also: what physical address could work?

Yes it’s better to create a separate account for Amazon Japan, I read that people can have issues otherwise.

You can set up a real forwarding address for free on tenso.com, and there’s a guide on their website for how to enter the address correctly on Amazon.

You probably don’t need to bother checking with your bank to see if your card will work - if your credit card doesn’t work, you’ll get an error when you try to pay at checkout, so it will be obvious at that point.

There’s a detailed guide somewhere on these forums for purchasing ebooks on different platforms, Amazon Kindle included. I’m on my phone now though so it’s a bit hard to search for it

1 Like

Thank you so much as always @skymaiden. I will give it a try.

1 Like

Quick question: I got my japanese address in tenso.com. It seems like I have to submit my ID for further things, but, do I need to do this if I just want to put the address in Amazon.jp?

Nope I don’t think so, an address should have been created when you signed up (for free). For digital content you won’t be physically shipping anything anyway.

It’s a real postal forwarding service though, so maybe you need to do that if you do want to physically ship stuff to yourself via them - like when an item is only available for delivery within Japan.

1 Like

Just in case, there is a guide specifically for digital purchases:
https://community.wanikani.com/t/buying-digital-japanese-books/10603/151

2 Likes

This is great, thank you so much!

Exactly, that’s the guide I mentioned but couldn’t find in one of the posts above! :ok_hand: I used this same one to get set up on Amazon :slight_smile:

1 Like

It also looks like it’s piracy. It’s highly doubtful that, as just one example, either Viz or their parent Shueisha has given that site permission to be publishing Dragon Ball.

2 Likes