Make the kanji breakdown section display the same kanji order as in the vocab

Hello. My name is Nick and I’m here to nickpick on Wanikani.

The idea is simple: make the kanji in the “Kanji Breakdown” section appear in the same order as in the word being learned.

In the example below, it would be : solely + thing + theory.

Why though?

Because when I’m learning a new vocab, I (and a lot of us) try to guess which reading the word uses before checking. This also implies guessing correctly which kanji is used. By having the kanji appear in the same order in the Kanji Breakdown as it appears on the vocab, it makes our visual contact easier when we’re checking our guesses.

K. Thx. Bye. Ly.

21 Likes

Thanks for the support @eilan. I hope it helped with the fact that your こころ is brokoro :heart:

1 Like

To go along with this, I think listing the radicals as they’d appear in the character would be nice too.

6 Likes

Very true! To be honest, I think that’s even more beneficial than what I suggested lol xP

3 Likes

I second this. Do it for reviews too, it’s very frustrating when you go to look at the nth character and it’s not what you’re looking for

4 Likes

Wasn’t there a script for this somewhere?? I thought I remembered seeing a conversation about it.

Didn’t find anything similar to this nor I remember seeing it before :man_shrugging:

I just feel like this could very well be something for the original WK to have.

It’s called “nitpicking”.
But yeah I’m with you on that.

1 Like

I know, it was a private joke between some of the members of the forums :stuck_out_tongue: My name is not Nick But thanks for your comment :slight_smile:

I thought I was the only one bothered by this so didn’t ever bother raising it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

YOU SHALL NEVER BE ALONE MATE!

2 Likes

We’re working on something to address this. We don’t have a date yet, but radicals and kanji will be ordered correctly in the breakdowns (soonishtm).

15 Likes

I don’t remember seeing any such script, and I trust Jsprspereira did a decent enough search, so I went ahead and put something together. Haven’t done extensive testing yet, but it seems to work.

I have to say it’s so much nicer having them in order, I should have done this a long time ago.

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/367668-wanikani-order-vocab-s-kanji-breakdown

4 Likes

Any update on this? This has been promised since at least mid-2016.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.