Little question from a newbie (^o^)/

Hello everyone!
So i’m new around and I really enjoy the community of WaniKani ( so much to discover)!
I am a slow learner, I take my time… sometimes I think I should do some more to step up faster. But thats simply not me ( when i can choose the speed especially). Thinking about reaching lvl 60 makes me a bit nervous and Im just wondering if I should force myself to do more lessons… because its SO FAR away! :smiley:

How much time took you to reach the lvl you are in?

4 Likes

The general advice is just to do as many lessons as you’re comfortable with. You can do WaniKani in just over a year, you can do it in two, you can do it in four. The important thing is that you go at a speed that suits you. If you can manage 20 lessons a day, you’ll find that you go at a fairly reasonable speed.

Thanks to finding out about WaniKani Time Machine, I can actually give you a visual representation of the time taken for me, hehe

I started in 2018, got to level 7, left it for several months, then came back to it and reset to 0. I think got back to level 10 and left it for another seven months, before coming back to a stack of 1000 reviews. I cleared those, got up to level 13, then left it for a while again. I came back seriously in August, did 600 reviews, started levelling again. Then I started talking on the forums every day and became very motivated to level, hence the big spike at the end, hehe.

7 Likes

Thanks, that reeeally helped with the mental struggle :smiley:
Amazing progess you`ve made there!! This community part of WK is indeed a good thing :wink:

2 Likes

As my “best” it takes me about 10-14 days to complete a level.
At my worst… years.

3 Likes

Seems realistic to me.
You can`t forecast the interactions of life :smile:

2 Likes

Exactly! You’ll see people who’ve been at this for half a decade or longer, so don’t stress, it’s a personal journey and… as I always say… it’s a marathon, not a sprint ^-^

3 Likes

I have been going for a little over a year and have just recently started doing more lessons than I normally was. Just do whatever you are comfortable with :slight_smile: and if you think you want to try more there is no harm in giving it a shot!

4 Likes

You found the secret level!?

6 Likes

We don’t talk about the secret level!

5 Likes

I started in 2014, so I’m technically on day 2508 if my journey. I reset back to level 7 at the beginning of July this year and since then I’ve averaged just over 10 days per level but I imagine I’ll slow down after this current level since I’m redoing levels I’ve done before (albeit 5 years ago but still, not 100% unfamiliar stuff)

Honestly though, I’m not sure I’ll ever finish WK since even at this level I am already starting to be able to read simple stuff like children’s stores and NHK easy news pretty easily with just a few lookups here and there. One of the best feelings was having a new kanji come up on WaniKani and already knowing it from wild encounters, 楽勝!

Looking at the frequency list on wkstats.com tells me that by level 40 I’ll know 53.88% of the 2500 most common kanji and I suspect I’ll lose at least some motivation to spend time on WK that I might otherwise spend just reading or watching stuff, but we’ll see. Perhaps my inner completionist will kick in. If I can keep up my current average rate I’ll make it to 40 around June of next year, that’s the goal anyhow, feels much more achievable than 60 at least to me.

3 Likes

True, reaching the highest lvl musn`t be my main goal. Possible to feel satisfied on my journey with a lower lvl. We will see :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Little over five years and am level 47.

3 Likes

Hey, good on you for knowing yourself!

Took me 2.5 years to get to 60

1 Like

I started on January and I’m level 8 actually. I’m a slowpoke apparently. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Well, I’ve been going at a pretty steady pace since mid-January and am now lv 34. We’ll see what pace I’m able to keep moving forward. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi all, this is actually my very first post here…! I discovered wanikani at the end of April so only been doing it since then. I am currently on level 7 as I really did not understand how it worked and got so frustrated. But I stuck to it and am impressed at how being able to recognise kanji is helping me during my Japanese classes! I guess I lost time since I was so slow during the first few months, but how on earth have those of you who have only been doing it since this year alreaddy past level 20?? It’s unbelievable to me! I guess I lose progress since i get many things wrong which bumps me down again… But still! I’m very impressed by everyone here :slight_smile:

1 Like

According to Wikistats, I started 38 days ago today. If all goes well, I should graduate to level 7 tonight at 7 pm eastern.

I do have a job where I can run WK and do some self-study quizzes during the day, so I think that’s helped my speed. I also took 2.5 years of Japanese in college about 15 years ago, so there’s a minimal amount of residual knowledge from that too.

My goal is to try to keep levels between 7 and 10 days, but I know that may not always be realistic. I definitely know the temptation to do extra lessons. I generally do about 20 vocab lessons a day. Holding myself to that is rough…especially when you finish off 20 and you only have 4 left to go! Wisdom of the forums has told me just to grin, bear it, and keep to my goal so I don’t burn out! I also realized that if I don’t do some extra self-study after I do a session of 20, they don’t stick.

That being said, take your time and find a pace you’re comfortable with!

1 Like

Congratulations on your first post and…

\textcolor{pink}{\huge \textsf{WELCOME! ^-^}}
@ShinyRainbow

Even if you’ve been a member for a while, so aren’t really new hehe
welcome gif - crabigator

Take the time to check out the FAQ and GUIDE if you haven’t already…
…but you probably have, because you seem like you’re diligent and awesome like that ^-^

There’s also a lot of good stuff on the forum to help you…
…that you’ve likewise probably already seen, but it still worth mentiioning!

The Ultimate Guide for WK
The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List!
The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps

I hope that you continue to enjoy WaniKani that your worship of the Crabigator is eternal!

Shh+shh+some+may+not+be+that+far+it+might+_f11caf8afd1e14365591ec7ea64c9606

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.