🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Winter 2023 ❄ 🧤

March 1-2 :film_strip:

Yesterday and today I watched the two final episodes of Heaven and Hell. I had many problems with it (the main one being how police just decided what to do on a whim, never had to give reports or follow orders, just followed whatever clues they liked for however long they liked, grabbed stuff from the forensics lab, barged into apartments without warrants, etc etc - this stuff I found way more unbelievable than the soul exchange premise), but it was entertaining and I did watch it with interest to the end. The main actress basically just smiled and ran towards the camera (so much running, much of it in slow motion, just why?), but the male lead was quite convincing in how he changed depending on what “soul” was inhabiting his body at the time. All in all, fun enough. It felt more like anime for some reason, maybe because with anime I’m more accepting of implausible plots.

11 Likes

@Zakarius I watched the first episode of an 80s girl gang member turned cop drama on YouTube and I somehow feel like it’s your kind of show:

This channel seems legit / above board btw. From their about:

創立70周年を迎え、映画からTVドラマまで数多の名作生み出してきた<東映>が、その豊富なジャンルの中から特撮・時代劇作品以外を編成、無料で視聴可能な公式YouTubeチャンネルです。

So it’s the copyright holders putting it up on YouTube

Also full disclosure that even though the sound has clearly been remastered, I definitely missed a couple of points and while I got the overall gist, I’m a little hazy on exactly what the old men were trying to force the girls to do and why he killed one of them. I think it relates to those girls having less money, but beyond that I’m ???

12 Likes

Thanks for the mention @pocketcat!

I’ve been trying to find something new to watch and the video cover photo has me sold already, I’ll check it out when I get the chance!

5 Likes

Finished watching「そして、バトンは渡された」today. I really liked the movie, definitely also considering reading a book that it is based on somewhere down the line.

Trailer link if anybody is interested.

9 Likes

March 3 :film_strip:

Half-watched, and half-listened to in the background, the first episode of Quartet, which I have already watched with English subtitles. Speech is generally clear and especially in the beginning I understood everything, but later of course I started missing stuff, sometimes a lot of it. Rewatching random episodes of a series is an interesting exercise, but I don’t think I have the patience to do it a lot. I need new content to keep my interest, but then I need subtitles on because I hate not understanding everything.

11 Likes

Ah, I think that’s based on a classic 70s shoujo manga:
Sukeban_Deka_Manga_1

The artstyle gives it a rather different feel than that TV still :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Mar 3, Fri of Week 10 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

新完全マスター聴解 日本語能力試験 N2 Ch.2/1 最初の文を理解する (D-E).

夏へのトンネル、さよならの出口 Ch.4 (0-20%). Also, read the text afterwards. The percentage here is just an approximation. Each track is quite long here for some reasons; 1 hour each, and each chapter has 1-2 tracks. Also, track breaks aren’t natural – not paragraph-wise, nor line-wise; only by sentence.

I also tried to read first half of Ch.1 (41 min) in one go yesterday, but failed at around 80%. I still want to read fast, but I shouldn’t be too fast. Today I read to the end of Ch.1

日本語の森’s 1-hour N2 summary. Nothing new to me, but more clarification. Speaking/Writing might be interesting, but later… later.

In the end, I listened to 夏へのトンネル、さよならの出口 Ch.4 (20-40%), almost first of two tracks of the chapter.

9 Likes

Mar 4, Sat of Week 10 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

新完全マスター聴解 日本語能力試験 N2 Ch.2/2 返事の文を考える.

夏へのトンネル、さよならの出口 Ch.4, the remaining. Also, reading, which although I didn’t skip, reading didn’t feel to have enough quality. Listening is good enough, though. Bad omen, so I glanced at a little of Ch.5.

9 Likes

Mar 5, Sun of Week 10 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

新完全マスター聴解 日本語能力試験 N2 Ch.3/1 するべきことを理解する.

夏へのトンネル、さよならの出口 Ch.5, which has two tracks. Did in 3 lots. Listen first, then read; then enough rest before continuing listening (because of anticipating story, and also because reading is a little tiring).

BTW, if no one else posts in-between, I can just edit the last post.

8 Likes

March 4 :arrow_forward:

Just a couple of random booktuber videos.

I noticed that Mononoke is now on Netflix. We had discussed it in previous Listen Every Day threads I think, and I had found some episodes on youtube, but now I can watch it properly! The art is very cool (and very different to most anime), but I’m not sure how good it will be for actual listening practice, as there are very long silences between bursts of longish speeches, if I remember correctly. I may give it a try later.

9 Likes

Mar 6, Mon of Week 11 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

新完全マスター聴解 日本語能力試験 N2 Ch.3/2 最初にすることを考える.

夏へのトンネル、さよならの出口 Last Chapter + あとがき + VAs’ comment. There is no text for VAs’ comment, so I listened twice. It’s always refreshing to hear VA as a person.

After that, simply songs in Songs suggestions? thread.

10 Likes

Last night I watched the first episode of スケバン刑事

Thanks again @pocketcat for bringing this to my attention, though sorry but I can’t help enlighten as to what those old guys said, I had trouble understanding them too (even this show seems to be unable to avoid the curse of the mumbly old guys).
While the audio was clear enough I found the constant cuts a bit jarring at times and was left a bit confused, sometimes felt like the scenes cut a bit too fast from one to the other, there were several scenes where I was like, wait, but what has this got to do with the previous one? Then I couldn’t really pick up what they were saying from context because there was no context I could understand :melting_face:

I love how when anything happened, no matter how incidental, the music just came crashing in, no matter the mood, blaring brass is required.

Kinda disappointed that there’s no transformation sequence, but putting on leather gloves to enact justice with the yo-yo of doom was pretty cool, so it gets a pass.

I’ll watch the next ep soon, though looking on the channel it seems they only have two available so far

11 Likes

Mar 7, Tue of Week 11 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

新完全マスター聴解 日本語能力試験 N2 Ch.3/3 条件に合う情報を聞き取る.

夏へのトンネル、さよならの出口 Ch.3/1. Also reading afterwards, which I cannot tolerate as long as reading. One more track to go, for listening-reading.

Gotta figure out what to listen to next, but today I don’t have much convenience for audio-“visual”. Perhaps I want some more formal or business Japanese, for working life?

10 Likes

Maybe you could practice with the Japanese Ted talk videos? Playlist link

I remember more of them having real subtitles (not auto-gen) but looking now it’s pretty hit or miss. Worth a try, though, with the ones that have actual CCs.

7 Likes

March 5 :film_strip:

Two episodes of Mononoke. Nice to be able to watch them in good quality at last. As I remembered, there are long silences and somewhat pompous speaking style, so maybe not great for listening practice, but I did catch more than I expected.

March 6 :heavy_multiplication_x: :

March 7 :film_strip:

The first 40 minutes of Drive My Car. Surprisingly understandable. So far the voices are clear for the most part, and just at the right speed for me. That said, so far it’s been very slow and somewhat depressing. And there’s already been so much sex - this is a Murakami story after all . When opening credits finally started rolling -at 40 minutes!- it was time for me to stop for the day.

10 Likes

Mar 8, Wed of Week 11 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

新完全マスター聴解 日本語能力試験 N2 Ch.3/4 条件を聞き取って整理する. A little heavy on me today.

夏へのトンネル、さよならの出口 Ch.3/2 first half. But read to finish Ch.3, so now I would call it a day for listening. I also think I would conclude the series now.

夢十夜 Night 1. Also read afterwards, it’s quite short. Actually for this very short length, I can read first and listen later, but my understanding is too blurry either way. It might be wiser to take 1 night per day, repeating if need be. Not that I wouldn’t read a little ahead.

9 Likes

March 8 :headphones: :film_strip:

Today I listened to the first three dreams from 夢十夜 while reading along with the text (and I relistened to one of them without text). The first and third story were easier and listening went well, with barely any pauses. The second story I had to pause constantly, and then reread slowly in order to try and make sense of it.

And I continued watching Drive My Car. Still slow, still fairly understandable. I’ve watched nearly to halfway (it’s almost three hours).

12 Likes

Mar 9, Thu of Week 11 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

国語文法 playlist on Youtube [1-4/50]. I can find websites regarding that too, but I would start with watching lectures first, gauging what to expect.

Then, I listened to some radio drama tracks, around 20 min perhaps. I still prefer longer ones, so audiobooks.

I have to be careful of my attention. I still have urgent non-Japanese assignments. Not as straightforward as fill-in-the-blank or MCQ, as I need to self-study, analyze and write.

10 Likes

Hey guys, didn’t find a “Short listening question thread”, so I hope it’s okay I’m asking here :slight_smile:

I’m having trouble identifying what is said in the last part of the recording c) on this page:

Here is my transcript for the whole thing, please correct me if there are any mistakes, and I hope someone can enlighten me on what is said where I wrote “???”

皆さん、私はほんま先生にインタビューしました。
先生は、背が低くて、優しくて、頭がいい女の人が好きだと言っていました。
週末は、よくテニスをすると言っていました。テレビでスポーツを見るのも好きだといっていました。全然デートしないと言っていました。時々料理をしますが、あまり上手じゃないと言っていました。
日本語のクラスは???とても面白いクラス言っていました。でも、学生はあまり勉強しないと言っていました。だから、大変だと言っていました。

5 Likes

(にぎ)やかで

8 Likes