🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Winter 2023 ❄ 🧤

Yes of course :laughing: But that’s the same in Japanese, isn’t it? And the point of the video was to learn all the different expressions one can use to be more precise, I thought.

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s the same. You can wear trousers, shirt, jacket, shoes, necktie, hat and glasses with one verb in German, can’t you? I’m not sure you can do that in Japanese. Maybe with the famous する that fits everything.

6 Likes

I think for everything from shoulders down you can use 着る. And then the small things all go by する and then you have 被る for caps, hats and the like. And that should be it, I guess?

(To be precise, I came from “to put on” as that’s what 掛ける and 羽織る mean, but I think in Japanese there is no difference between “to wear” and “to put on”? :thinking: In the German text I used lots of replacements for “to put on”. You could use “anziehen” in most of your examples, but I wouldn’t use it for hat and glasses - that would be “aufsetzen”. But yes, mostly just one verb.)

8 Likes

:snowman: :snowflake: February 5 :snowflake: :snowman: :speaker:
Home Post

LoZ: Breath of the Wild :shield:

Poor start to February since I listened to nothing on 2-4th. Today I felt like actually playing a game with gameplay and not just text (sorry VN), so I started Breath of the Wild, I’ve been meaning to replay the story in Japanese, especially before the next one comes out.

Unfortunately, less is voice acted than I hoped, but about as much as I remembered. Meaning I need to get to cutscenes to get audio… Only cut scenes are fairly uncommon, and some of them do not have voice audio. Pretty much got maybe 10 lines total playing for 30ish minutes.

So maybe I won’t be able to count it as listening practice much, lol, but when I can I will. xD

11 Likes

February 5th!

Today I had a class with my teacher.
It was conversation focused, so lots of listening practise :slight_smile:

(Home Post)

13 Likes
Answer to windupbird re: podcast grievances & Atashin'chi

It’s actually very similar for me. There are a few podcasts that I actually want to to like and listen to, e.g. Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History, but the shortest one’s are… 4 hours? :fearful: And the normal ones 10+ hour series? How do people do this?

Maybe podcasts aren’t a good medium for my Japanese either then, but it would be a shame to miss out on such a big portion of possible resources. Especially since it’s also something I wouldn’t have to sit in front of the computer for, and god knows I do that too often. But it’ll be a while until I find out anyway, because the ones I can already listen to are a bit dull.

Same to be honest, but it is what it is, and I liked the characters!

6 Likes

I’m procrastinating reading my book so I binged some Youtube.

Hairstyle advice for women in their 40s
A 14 minute video from a fast-talking stylist who makes lots of disclaimers at the beginning
A 9 minute video from a different guy who’s more blunt and slower-speaking
Spoiler: they both agree that there’s no such thing as a hairstyle that’s absolutely NG, and that it’s important to have shiny healthy-looking hair. This didn’t actually help at all for deciding how to cut my hair, but anyway it was listening practice.

Oversharing and bonkers gyaru うさたにパイセン loses her money and fancy apartment but does a tour of the empty apartment before leaving. Later she goes to Nagano, where she’s rented a 300 year old mansion that’s huge and super cheap and kinda creepy. At some point she blew a wad of money on getting a set of ceramic caps on her teeth, complete with diamond-studded fangs, and I don’t know why I subjected myself to watching that one because she brought the camera to the dentist and showed her teeth in progress.

Other videos from the last week:

Tsubasa Masuwaka (another gyaru model but she’s sane) talks about her choice to get a Mirena IUD (12 min), and discusses various forms of birth control so that her viewers learn more about their options. This is just her sitting and talking, and sometimes showing illustrations from the pamphlet.

A 7 minute video by 日テレNEWS about Mosburger’s first shop and some of the early history. Eventually it would become one of the largest and most famous hamburger chains in Japan.

And an easy 3 minute ラジオ体操 stretch/warmup exercise by NHK.

I’m glad you enjoyed it! I laughed so much I cried at that part too, the first time I watched it.

13 Likes

I agree. I wasn’t digging it until then and then I really liked it. It’s not perfect but it was a lot of fun.

3 Likes

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: February 4

Listened to Teppei for beginners #44

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: February 5

No Teppei today but played BU$TAFELLOWS for 2.5h

13 Likes

Feb 6, Mon of Week 7 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

So-matome N2 Listening Ch.2 [2/7]. Rephrasing.

Death Note EP.27. Heirs.

Mos Burger and CoCo Ichibanya on 日テレ. Generally I can understand these pretty well, but need to focus a lot. Ample writings on video help a lot. For the first one, I am just curious, not particularly like it or anything. For the second one, I remembered a topic here in Wanikani Community, but I didn’t know how this chain worked in Japan.

ガラスのうさぎ [13/18]. US soldiers.

I have thoughts regarding this, the flow. Density, difficulty, and eventually, accumulated debts resulting in length intolerance, would decide this.

It applies to reading too. Also, subtitle reading.

11 Likes

Watched the movie Cube 「キューブ」today.
Well…didn’t really amaze me, let’s put it that way :sweat_smile:
But if someone likes suspense thrillers, this could be a good watch, I wouldn’t say the dialogue is that hard, and most of the time it is possible to understand what is happening by just watching what happens on the screen.

Trailer link.

13 Likes

February 6 :film_strip:

Second episode of Heaven and Hell. Much better now. Definitely an interesting predicament they find themselves in. And the acting is spot on now that they’re …not playing themselves. Although I must say I found her reaction to her new body very surprising. If that happened to me - and there was no urgent murder charge to get out of - exploring my new body would be the first thing I’d do. That would be a different kind of series though. :joy:
By the way, I realized that I know the lead actress too, from Our Little Sister. It’s crazy how many Japanese actors I can recognize (by appearance, I hardly know any names), having only watched so little.

15 Likes

I’m late to this so I won’t really add much but I was also supposed to start this in January and didn’t. I haven’t been posting much in the reading challenge lately either, and sometimes I kinda feel guilty for not participating more but ultimately, as always, these challenges have to work positively to one’s study, they’re not an obligation and it’s both okay not to post and not to participate. Don’t feel bad for not starting it for whatever reason, it has to be something that feels positive to your study right now, IMO :slight_smile: . If it helps, what about dropping the everyday aspect for the listening challenge? It might help relieve some pressure while still allowing you to practice, find resources and so on.

Regarding things to listen to, honestly I understand. I’ve mentioned it some time before, podcasts for learners end up being pretty boring when you’re at a point where you can understand them with little effort for the most part, because it feels like they all talk about the same uninteresting everyday stuff using very similar language. The only learner podcast that I still enjoy a lot is YUYU, so far it has survived the passage of time for me, but I haven’t listened to any of the others in a while, they don’t make me look forward to another episode or anything. I’m subscribed to other podcasts that are meant for the Japanese public about different topics, which admittedly some are still very hard for me, but they certainly feel much more fun. I’d recommend just browsing podcasts in Japanese and see if something catches your eye that is related to any of your interests. I started looking for video game stuff and other things and it’s much, much more compelling. I give credit to the learner podcasts to get me to where I am right now, but after this point I don’t think I can keep listening to them much longer, save YUYU which is pretty cool. You can have a look at this thread too.

There’s always YouTube channels like あかね的日本語教室 , Comprehensible Japanese , Daily Japanese with Naoko , もしもしゆうすけ and so on that you might like instead of the pure listening aspect of podcasts. There are probably many many more channels out there worth checking for similar content, or even just Japanese YouTube in general. If you’re into cooking there seems to be a lot of nice cooking channels out there (like Genの炊事場 SUIJIBA), or gaming, or whatever thing you want really. You mention being into K-pop, there must be for sure an army of videos on K-pop. All these native things can certainly be hard, they are for me, but mixing fun stuff with the more boring side of learner podcasts can maybe motivate you to power through them, because it can be motivating to see that they help you improve. Learner podcasts are boring but also effective, after all. Just not the only way to get there, especially if you dislike them.

12 Likes

:snowman: :snowflake: February 6 :snowflake: :snowman: :speaker:
Home Post

Tomo’s Real Japanese Talk :teacher:

I finally decided to try the other upper beginner podcast from Tofugu’s articles that I was interested in Real Japanese talk from Tomo. And I’m glad I did.

This is learner focused, but for the first full episode, I didn’t feel like it dumbed down what he was saying, or that he ran out of things to say because he couldn’t figure out how to say them simply enough (something I sense every time I listen to Sayuri Says Everyday).

It was also refreshing that he felt completely comfortable mentioning that he didn’t like movies or TV dramas, so he doesn’t watch those. I don’t know, this one just felt more genuinely talking about the topic and he just happens to do it in a learner’s friendly way.

But I’ve only listened to the first episode (outside the introduction episode) so maybe that won’t stay true.

13 Likes

February 6th!

Today I watched a video that was posted by @basilsauce a few days ago.

I think its really cool that she chose to tackle this topic, its something thats super important to communicate to girls and young women, but its a topic that most of the people who would be influential to them tend to shy away from.

I didn’t understand everything, but it seemed like she was giving a really balanced review of her experience, while also explaining some other options. I find it really interesting that its her most watched video!

(Home Post)

14 Likes

Some more Miku Real Japanese today (an hour thus far and should get through another hour by the time I get home). She really is spunky and fun to listen to.

12 Likes

:snowman: :snowflake: February 7 :snowflake: :snowman: :speaker:
Home Post

LoZ - BotW :shield:

The first major cutscene happened and I definitely had to read the subtitles along with the audio, because the character who was talking was using more old-style Japanese. And I just haven’t met enough such language to follow in audio alone. But since my intention was to, I’ll count it because I tried to focus on what he was saying.

I might however listen to a podcast later. If I find the time and interest. ^^

11 Likes

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: February 6

Listened to Teppei for beginners #45 and watched about 20 min of 受験のシンデレラ chapter 3. It’s a bit reassuring seeing Japanese people struggle with Japanese (classical Japanese in this case) but I was definitely way out of my depth in those parts.

11 Likes

Been listening to the most recent Teppei’s and some backlog ones on onomatopoeia. Didn’t really like the onomatopoeia series, can’t quite put my finger on why. Also been listening to more listen with shun episodes. At the end of each episode he lists out some vocab in Japanese and English that was used. It makes relistening more iteresting. It’s a little bit like the audio equivalent of where’s wally - find where he used that word or phrase. It’s much less conversational that Teppei, like a series of sentences are being read.
Mmm I’m trying to read all the sections at the back of my genki2 textbook at the moment, so will listen along with the reading. Podcasts are good for when doing other things - (cleaned the car on Sunday with Shun and Teppei) but I think I should spend more time reading and listening along.

11 Likes

Feb 7, Tue of Week 7 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

Death Note EP.28. やられた.

So-matome N2 Listening Ch.2 [3/7]. Why you think?

ガラスのうさぎ [16/18].

11 Likes