🔉 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge (Summer Edition) 🏖

Jul 24, Sun of Week 4 of Summer :beach_umbrella: 2022

Today’s story is 寿限無 (:studio_microphone:).

This one isn’t from Hukumusume, simply from YouTube, and full transcript in in the description (not in CC or Show Transcript). 絵本 type, but I believe it can be listened as an audiobook as well.

Story impression

The kid has a crazy long name, that becomes a reading practice, but I can’t make it as smooth as the original audio.

「うわーん、おばちゃ〜ん。おばちゃんとこの、寿限無 寿限無 五劫のすり切れ海砂利水魚の 水行末、雲来末、風来末 食う寝るところに住むところやぶらこうじのぶらこうじ パイポパイポ パイポのシューリンガンシューリンガンのグーリンダイ グーリンダイのポンポコピーのポンポコナーの長久命の長助が、ボクの頭ぶってこんな大きなたんこぶができちゃった〜」と金ちゃん。

「あらまあ、ごめんなさいね。うちの、寿限無 寿限無 五劫のすり切れ海砂利水魚の 水行末、雲来末、風来末 食う寝るところに住むところやぶらこうじのぶらこうじ パイポパイポ パイポのシューリンガンシューリンガンのグーリンダイ グーリンダイのポンポコピーのポンポコナーの長久命の長助が、金ちゃんの頭ぶって大きなたんこぶができちゃったのかい?!おかみさんは慌てて言いました。

ちょいとお前さん、聞いた? うちの、寿限無 寿限無 五劫のすり切れ海砂利水魚の 水行末、雲来末、風来末 食う寝るところに住むところやぶらこうじのぶらこうじ パイポパイポ パイポのシューリンガンシューリンガンのグーリンダイ グーリンダイのポンポコピーのポンポコナーの長久命の長助がね、金ちゃんの頭ぶって大きなこぶこしらえたんですって」。

「なんだって。うちの、寿限無 寿限無 五劫のすり切れ海砂利水魚の 水行末、雲来末、風来末 食う寝るところに住むところやぶらこうじのぶらこうじ パイポパイポ パイポのシューリンガンシューリンガンのグーリンダイ グーリンダイのポンポコピーのポンポコナーの長久命の長助が、金ちゃんの頭をぶって大きなこぶこしらえたって?」おばあさんも出てきて、「なにかい、うちの孫の、寿限無 寿限無~」と大さわぎになりました。ところが金ちゃんの頭を見た八五郎、「なんだい、こぶなんかどこにもねえじゃねえか」。頭をグリグリ撫で回します。

すると金ちゃんがひとこと。「あんまり名前が長いから、とっくにこぶは引っこんじゃったよ」。

The story is famous enough to have a Wikipedia page (in English) – Jugemu - Wikipedia

Furthermore, おかみさん is simply a wife / housewife .

Afterwards, I started listening to かがみの孤城 audiobook, which I bought from audiobook.jp – it has exactly the same text as the same 2-book series in Bookwalker. Superifically I can understand it; but when compare with the text, I missed a lot. I intended to either listen or read, actually. Listen-Read-Listen cycle, if I must. Sadly, I missed the book club which also has read-aloud… but started around 9 months ago. Today, I can manage only 1 track = 20 minutes = 1/3 or first chapter.

I find most books in book club don’t have an associated audiobook. (Comparing to native audio can be helpful, for example, even with Furigana, numbers won’t be Furi’d anyway.) Mangas are probably out-of-question as well, as a lot of narration lines would be missing. [1] (Furthermore, up-to-now, I still can’t buy e-things from Amazon JP, so both Kindle and Audible.)

Then, I listened to りっきぃの夜話 for about 23 minutes. First 8 minutes (2 tracks) I listened twice, but I feel I still don’t understand enough.

Now, I saw that one of over 1 hour single episode. Light looks cooler than the other live-action version. However, JP sub and JP audio don’t match. Probably because it is US version. There is only English in the Note as well.

Actually, I now see sub not matching dub as a helper; however, the material still has to be chosen carefully (mostly regarding difficulty). This one specifically probably isn’t too difficult, but it started a little over the board (rather than about the actors).

I don’t think I am ready for no sub yet.

I have found a next series to watch after となりの怪物くん; with matching JP sub, of course.

1. Anime would also miss a lot of narration lines compared to audiobooks or novels. ↩︎

8 Likes