🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Fall 2022 🍁

I could use some help over here, if anyone has a spare moment! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Took Teppi on my morning dog walk with me, it’s about a 15-20min walk so that must be 3, 4 episodes? Did a handful of N5 listening drills on not great audio site.
Quite enjoying Teppi at the moment, feels like everytime I re-listen to an episode I understand a little more. Also refreshing to listen to something thats not someone asking the way to the cafe next to the library or how many members are in your family.

11 Likes

Nov 5, Sat of Week 6 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

Yesterday, I watched one and the latter half of episodes of Yurucamp S2 EP.8-9. Difficulty depends on mood. Nonetheless, not only storyline, but also how-to-camp wants to be understood.

Today, I watched one episode of Yurucamp S2. Two more to go.

Noriko is notified on Patreon, so I listened to an extra episode (6 min). Indeed, I am little interested in teacher’s personal life.

Patreon Android app is different from the website, and is quite convenient.

There are also Yamamoto Iku’s, but buried inside lots of Noriko’s.

Although I can understand, I got lost very easily when I got distracted. (So I borderline failed.) The attached transcript (PDF on Patreon) can help a lot, in particular with vocabularies; though listening and looking up is possible too, with much more effort.

9 Likes

Can I just say, in case anyone is wondering “does anyone read my diary entries?”, yes I’m reading and enjoying them a lot :nerd_face:

6 Likes

Main post

On November the 5th I’ve:

• Relistened to Nihongo con Teppei for beginners episodes 016-038.
11 Likes

November 5th:

As I wanted to finish Made in Abyss fast, I switched back to subtitles for longer conversations later on.
So, as I was too lazy to look for new resources, I got back to watching the Persona 4 gameplay.

While it is fun, it is mostly reactions. If there are conversations, I tend to read the text boxes instead of listening to what is being said.
So after deciding to stop watching for now, I switched to one of the recommendations of the Summer Edtion Thread the Comprehensible Japanese YouTube Channel.
I watched about 15 min of a random intermediate video of that channel.
So far it seems to be at the right difficulty level. So it exactly at the level were I understand most of it, but there are still many words and phrases I don’t catch or understand.

Though compared to what I have seen of Japanese YouTube they seem to be talking rather slow for what I would think would be “intermediate”. Not that it is bothering me, because I probably couldn’t understand it, if they were to talk any faster :sweat_smile:.

I’ll put it on my go to pile for now.

11 Likes

November 5th!

I watched two episodes of Madoka Magica today. I only have two more left now so I need to start thinking about what to watch next!

(Home Post)

11 Likes

I listened to half an hour or so of 崩れる脳を抱きしめて this morning. I’m desperately trying to hit all my daily ‘tasks’ before bed, I’m so tired :melting_face:

11 Likes

Teppi came round the supermarket with me yesterday morning, I wonder what I forgot to buy. I have really enjoyed relistening to the episodes as I feel I pick on more of his chat that bookends the main topic.
Also started on my new JLPT choukai book and accompanying material. I was a bit sceptical that a book on listening would be any good, but it does have some good tips in there along with lists of vocab that come up.

10 Likes

Nov 6, Sun of Week 6 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

Today, I watched half episodes of Yurucamp S2 EP.11. Not all the way, probably because of discomfort, as well as being busy, today.

I also listened to two episodes of Akane’s 日本語の聴解のためのPodcast on Podbean. I like how episodes are structured, and Akane says quite slowly, but not too boring. Vocabulary of the day is 一夜漬け; but vocabularies are also summarized at the end of each episode.

10 Likes

:fallen_leaf: Day 37, 6th of November :maple_leaf:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

Episode 4 of あかがみんクラフトclassic, this time everyone was out collecting animals. I didn’t want to concetrate too much on listening because I’ve been doing grammar the whole day.

I know that right now, my listening comprehension is too low to really understand any sort of audio without help/subtitles, so it sometimes feels like this exercise is futile. I even thought about not doing any further challenges of this kind. But I know from my past language acquisition phases that I need a huge amount of input until I start to notice any benefit. So for now I won’t worry about whether the input is appropiate for my level, as long as it’s consumed.

13 Likes

November 6th!

I relistened to the Top 400 Activities lesson from JapanesePod101 that I listened to yesterday to try to familiarise myself with the vocabulary it was teaching since it seemed useful.
I also listened to the next lesson which was about health and diet. I might relisten to this one too since it contained some words which seem like they could be useful to know like 炭水化物 (carbohydrate) and 新陳代謝 (metabolism).

(Home Post)

12 Likes

November 6 :film_strip::chart_with_upwards_trend:

Level 38 in Migaku. And episodes 18-21 of Parasyte. You wouldn’t think it by the number of episodes I watched, but it’s started to bore me. I’ll still finish it, as there’s only 3 more episodes till the end, I think. And I honestly have no idea what else to watch.

12 Likes

I listened to a random handful of youtube videos but nothing was inspiring enough to bother posting here. I’ll probably listen to more of 崩れる脳を抱きしめて later when I go out for a walk.

I mostly need to catch up on book club reading though :see_no_evil:

12 Likes

November 6th:

I tried watching a “News 7” video on the NHK site. With the natural pace i can not keep up. Afterwards I tried a bit with .8x speed (with a browser add-on) and it was a lot more understandable. I might test it more in the coming days.
I also tried listing to the NHK Easy News. While I can understand it very well, I’m too bothered by the artificial voice to do that regularly.

Afterwards I looked around in the videos of some news channels that were recommended to me.
日テレNEWS and ANNnewsCH have both many short more and less relevant videos. They vary strongly in difficulty. I might continue watching some of those.

13 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :headphones: softlyraining’s leaf pile listens :maple_leaf: :studio_microphone:

November 4th・November 5th・November 6th:

Two days of watching more Terrace House and one with a short Satori Reader session. I haven’t felt great the past couple of days, though I’m feeling better now.

Anna (the girl who received the hug) seemed maybe slightly taken aback, though she didn’t hesitate that much. Before he asked about a hug, he asked her if she was okay, so it’s possible she just thought of it as him trying to comfort her. The guy’s also lived in the US for several years, so it’s possible she figured he took on some American customs. It’s also possible that she wanted the hug, as well as the producers working on the show. (Though not scripted, people from the series have said that the producers leave hints for what sorts of things they’d like to film.) I can’t remember how the commentators reacted; I’ll go back to that episode tomorrow and see.

12 Likes

I felt the same way.

2 Likes

Glad to hear that.

2 Likes

Have you tried relistening to stuff. I felt the same and relistened to some Teppi I hadn’t listened to in a while, was motivating when I picked up on more of his bookend chatter.

Teppi rode with me and the dog over to my parent’s house on our weekly visit. Also did a single JLPT question where I YET AGAIN failed to pickout みぎがわ in an asking for directions scenario. Fingers crossed that in the real thing, the cafe or library or whatever it is the guy who can’t use google maps is looking for, is on the left hand side!

6 Likes

I have relistened to a bunch of things, but I have not yet made enough of a leap in comprehension that it would feel like I progressed any. Which isn’t surprising since I’ve only done listening comprehension for barely over two months and of those only one month of real dedicated time and effort every day.

7 Likes