Level up without finishing the previous level

Why do I level up (unlock level 3 in my case) without having finished level 2?

Thanks

There’s just one condition for leveling up. It’s that you have gotten 90% of the current level’s kanji to “guru” status. If you do that, you level up. It’s unrelated to how much vocab you’ve completed, etc.

So, I guess the answer is that WaniKani considers “90% of kanji reach guru” to be “finished the level.”

I think it’s just that if it was much stricter than this, making progress would take a really long time for most users.

9 Likes

Think about it this way: you don’t actually unlock level 3, you unlock new radicals, a limited set of Kanji and a very limited set of new Vocabulary for the next level.

Whenever you “finish” a level, you’re just actually finally ready to begin learning all of its Vocabulary, but if you were then stuck there until you didn’t have anything else to learn, the next level would be pretty much empty outside of the new Kanji and Radicals, for at least 3 1/2 days.

WaniKani never gives you Kanji and Vocab for that Kanji all at once, it waits until you’ve gotten familiar with that Kanji (Guru) and then lets you cement it with Vocab Words. You’ll notice that Vocabulary that comes with new Kanji is always for Kanji of the Previous levels.

4 Likes

Thanks for this, was about to report this as bug. Feeling pretty good now! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::upside_down_face::grin::grin:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.