Level 21 before 2021!

Cruised to level 14 yesterday, but I’ve been feeling under the weather, so gonna rein it back a bit for a couple of days or so.

8 Likes

Happy new month, everyone! :confetti_ball:

Just curious: Anyone here tried their hand at writing? As in, with pen and paper?

Personally, I don’t remember the last time I wrote something significant on pen and paper. Not even in English! And my handwriting is rubbish - it’s a general consensus that I am not quite able to disagree with. I don’t expect it will be better in Japanese :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I write down all radicals and kanji when I learn them in the hope I’ll be able to remember them better.

I used to write all the vocab as well, but that took way too long.

1 Like

I’m a note taker when it comes to language.s So yes I do handwrite a lot of Japanese.

To me it is useful, I don’t go re-read the notes but writing them helps me focus.

4 Likes

My philosophy in this regard is I’ll be studying recognition at WaniKani levels and will be studying kanji-writing at Genki levels. That way I only learn how to write the most basic kanjis gradually. I don’t care about writing manually as much as I do about reading and understanding.

5 Likes

I’m not anti handwriting since at one point you’ll need to be able to write a fair amount of kanji by hand and at least be able to balance the strokes to a degree. That’s the reality of living in Japan. I’m not saying that we all need to become shodou masters but the idea of not learning to write at all is preposterous as well.

I made it to level 18. Disappointed with level 17 vocab selection so here’s hoping level 18 has better pickins. I’m within 3 levels of accomplishing the goal here.

4 Likes

Level 15 today

6 Likes

Congrats! I’m right behind you. Hope to join you in a couple of days!

Yay! Congrats!

2 Likes

Hi everyone! :wave:t4: Decided to join this to give me more motivation and reach the goal of finishing WaniKani! :smiley: :crossed_fingers:t4:

7 Likes

I almost exclusively always have leftover vocab by the time I level up. It’s pretty consistently in the 30’s too. I don’t find it that big of a deal, though, since every level feels like it’s gonna be this way for me. Best tips for me is to either let that happen, because it ‘looks’ worse than it is (since you see the number), and/or calculate how many lessons you need to do per day to 0 it out by the time you level, then you got yourself a schedule without having to think or worry if you’ll get it done on time.

Also if you end up having leftover vocab lessons, just reorder script to get them out of the way first.

6 Likes

I wrote daily, by experience I’m more efficient to organise my thoughts and ideas on paper than digitally (broadly, software conception).

I am fluent in both kana but kanji, oh well. I began to write down kanji and vocab in a notepad but I felt behind after a few levels.

I tried this week end to write down the some basics sentences by memory, sentences I have no trouble to read without stutter, to no avail.

That’s it, I recognise the kanji as a whole and no by their parts or lines.

Should I invest more time on it? I’d like to to but de that’s hard to top fond the time.

2 Likes

Welcome back! Love your username!

2 Likes

I had no desire to do my reviews today, Luckily they were all radicals for the most part…

1 Like

Thanks! Love your profile picture, it makes me smile!

1 Like

Is your avatar wrong? It shows you went from level 10 to 16 in less than a month. How do that?

Also, just checking in. I hit level 12 a couple days ago. More than half way there! I wont hit my stated goal, but I will definitely hit 21.

2 Likes

I’m not sure? What could’ve happened is that as soon as last month started I leveled up to 11 and then got up to… 15 (which would be the max mathematically speaking). I haven’t kept track myself but I started learning 111 days ago

1 Like

I was sat there waiting to climb the O2 when BOOM! You’ve hit level 17 an now here’s 69 new lessons to do. I was prepared to climb fifty metres up, not for a barrage of information. Here we go again :weary:

2 Likes

The forum is notorious for the displayed level lagging behind the actual level, so it’s very possible that Abbas was higher than 10 at that point.

1 Like

@amagi I did write some things out when I was learning the kana. Although, that was only because the first resources I found had those as their teaching method. Like, write things out over and over and over until you just remember them. Took some few days, but I’m pretty sure I never did make it past the a, e, o, i, u. Then, I found Tofugu and their kana resources. Learned both sets in one day. Of course, that’s mostly “learned to read.”

@Losch Sounds like a good way to go about it.

@monkeyshine89 Thanks for the tip.

@whinette Same. Taking down notes digitally, even in “notebook” apps, have never worked for me. Although, for my kanji learning, I’ve never had even once wrote down anything. WaniKani does not seem to make a good place for it. It appears to be especially made for reading and understanding.

@Time @Bridden @Abbas099 Congrats :confetti_ball:

@Language_Lover Welcome :wave:

Speaking of leveling up, I’ve seen it as common advice to log out then log back in to see your tag change. However, my tag has been changing all this time and I’ve never logged out. Granted, I don’t see it change immediately after I leveled up, but it does change. I think it’s just the system not refreshing every second. Eventually, it will get to the task of reviewing and updating level tags and the change will be made. No need to log out then log in.

5 Likes

No, he made the comment of ‘Finally in the double digits at long last woohoo’ on July 14th, which means he would have had to level 6 levels in a month and a half. That is insanely quick.

Abbas099, what scripts do you use? Just wondering.

2 Likes