Level 21 before 2021!

I wrote daily, by experience I’m more efficient to organise my thoughts and ideas on paper than digitally (broadly, software conception).

I am fluent in both kana but kanji, oh well. I began to write down kanji and vocab in a notepad but I felt behind after a few levels.

I tried this week end to write down the some basics sentences by memory, sentences I have no trouble to read without stutter, to no avail.

That’s it, I recognise the kanji as a whole and no by their parts or lines.

Should I invest more time on it? I’d like to to but de that’s hard to top fond the time.

2 Likes

Welcome back! Love your username!

2 Likes

I had no desire to do my reviews today, Luckily they were all radicals for the most part…

1 Like

Thanks! Love your profile picture, it makes me smile!

1 Like

Is your avatar wrong? It shows you went from level 10 to 16 in less than a month. How do that?

Also, just checking in. I hit level 12 a couple days ago. More than half way there! I wont hit my stated goal, but I will definitely hit 21.

2 Likes

I’m not sure? What could’ve happened is that as soon as last month started I leveled up to 11 and then got up to… 15 (which would be the max mathematically speaking). I haven’t kept track myself but I started learning 111 days ago

1 Like

I was sat there waiting to climb the O2 when BOOM! You’ve hit level 17 an now here’s 69 new lessons to do. I was prepared to climb fifty metres up, not for a barrage of information. Here we go again :weary:

2 Likes

The forum is notorious for the displayed level lagging behind the actual level, so it’s very possible that Abbas was higher than 10 at that point.

1 Like

@amagi I did write some things out when I was learning the kana. Although, that was only because the first resources I found had those as their teaching method. Like, write things out over and over and over until you just remember them. Took some few days, but I’m pretty sure I never did make it past the a, e, o, i, u. Then, I found Tofugu and their kana resources. Learned both sets in one day. Of course, that’s mostly “learned to read.”

@Losch Sounds like a good way to go about it.

@monkeyshine89 Thanks for the tip.

@mweibel Same. Taking down notes digitally, even in “notebook” apps, have never worked for me. Although, for my kanji learning, I’ve never had even once wrote down anything. WaniKani does not seem to make a good place for it. It appears to be especially made for reading and understanding.

@Time @Bridden @Abbas099 Congrats :confetti_ball:

@Language_Lover Welcome :wave:

Speaking of leveling up, I’ve seen it as common advice to log out then log back in to see your tag change. However, my tag has been changing all this time and I’ve never logged out. Granted, I don’t see it change immediately after I leveled up, but it does change. I think it’s just the system not refreshing every second. Eventually, it will get to the task of reviewing and updating level tags and the change will be made. No need to log out then log in.

5 Likes

No, he made the comment of ‘Finally in the double digits at long last woohoo’ on July 14th, which means he would have had to level 6 levels in a month and a half. That is insanely quick.

Abbas099, what scripts do you use? Just wondering.

2 Likes

Month and a half for 6 levels sounds about right if you’re going at the full speed WaniKani lets you. Which to be fair, would be considered quite fast :slight_smile:

1 Like

That one level a week, close to max speed! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wooo level 10! This feels like a big milestone!

That script looks great! But I just installed it and I don’t see anything new on my dashboard - where should it be appearing? I already have WK Open Framework, so it’s not that :thinking:

7 Likes

That IS a big milestone! Congrats! Halfway to the goal in this thread and 1/6 of the way to level 60. Onwards and upwards!

5 Likes

There something you have to fix in the script.

This post tells you what to do. It’s a little bit of work to figure it out but it’s worth it.

2 Likes

Thank you everybody for your help and encouragements (@Marifly, @kurseddragon @KyokaJiro @amagi ) it helped me stay focused.
I find that every time I take a break (due to work, vsiting family and being away or holiday) I lose track and put too much stress on myself. So what I will do now is stay on level 18 (whilst actually being 19) and cleaning up. As soon as I am back on track I will take on level 19.
But, I don’t have much spare time due to my personal life atm. But hey, I am level 19 now, and my goal is 21, so that should still be doable, even though I am planning taking 2 weeks per level and continuous educating development courses I have to follow online due to corona, aaand taking a month of in October.
hmm maybe level 19 is a nice way to finish off the year too haha.
Sorry for rambling, and thanks for all your help!

6 Likes

Yes, you can do it. You have 4 month to clear these 2 (3) level, the goal is in sight. Keep doing the review so they do not stack to an amount that will not be manageable. :wink:

3 Likes

There was a part in Tae Kim where he makes you write out the most common godan verbs that look like ichidan verbs. It was a pain in the ass but now I remember those verbs a lot of the time. I don’t know if I would really want to spend a significant amount of time on it at my level because it was a slow process. I’d rather work on acquiring vocab recognition.

2 Likes

It is okay to rest. While it is awesome to reach Level 21 and more by the end of the year, it is okay even if you don’t reach that milestone. Make sure you don’t burn out, it is okay to go from gear 5 to gear 1 and catch your breath. We are in it for the long run. (In my opinion it takes a lot more will power to get back when one is burned out and takes a six month break. It might be easier to slow down and avoid burn out.)

I love sports anime because of the real life lessons it teaches. One of the most important things is, if you practice heavily without break, you will end up injuring/harming yourself. The ideal way is to do lots of practice Interspersed with enough protein/food and rest/sleep for your body to recover and become strong. (Feel free to ignore my words if they don’t resonate with you :slightly_smiling_face:)

強くなれゆうずうさん :running_man::running_woman:

5 Likes

I managed to drop WK for a week, whoops… My fingers hurt :cry:

3 Likes