Level 21 before 2021!

I’m a native english speaker and I also didn’t know the word yurt until WK started using it in mnemonics.

4 Likes

Is yurt a English word though?
I looked it up:
The English word yurt was the Turkic word “jurt,”
which was then adopted into France and German, and then Russian, and from Russian to English.
I would say “yurt” is equal to a katakana foreign word in Japanese.

1 Like

Well it’s english now. Unlike japanese, english doesn’t have different writing systems so the frankenstein of a language that it is looks uniform despite borrowing from every language since forever. People from other languages can probs see roots in words here and there but to a native english speaker they wouldn’t know unless told.

2 Likes

Well, the same way that all the katakana words like サークル are Japanese words, yurt is an English word.

2 Likes

Thanks! And thanks for having shared your great idea by making this thread.

2 Likes

Hey guys. Just wanted to introduce myself. I’m Gabriel from Puerto Rico.

I know English and Spanish. My love for Japanese started with anime and I finally decided to learn the language.

Glad I found WaniKani. How did your journey with Japanese start? What other languages have you guys learned?

6 Likes

Welcome!

My journey started more than 20 years ago. Pro tip: If you don’t use languages, you forget them! I’m here to re-learn and to have fun with Japanese.

6 Likes

I’m going to try this too! My first post in the forums, but I need a goal I can stay motivated for… as you can see from my WKStats :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Welcome! You can do it!

3 Likes

ありがとう

がんばります

3 Likes

I recommend creating a schedule - helps to feel the tempo and stick to it.
If not for the schedule, I’d give up at level 4 XD

4 Likes

I’m in! I was level 27 until a month or so ago, but I hadn’t visited the site for a couple of years, so I decided to reset to level one and start fresh.

4 Likes

Welcome back!

2 Likes

Nice! 20 years. Just out if curiosity. How much do you think you have forgotten? Definitely agree that enjoying the journey is a must, don’t misunderstand I know it will be hard work. hehehe

4 Likes

I’d love to join in! Just subscribed to start level 4 :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Wow that’s a clean timeline! Would you mind sharing your schedule? I have some difficulty finding mine (your start is looking like mine…).

3 Likes

For the kanji I’m using memory palaces and Mnemonics(markers), but for the vocab I’m only using mnemonics.

I’m find it a lot easier to remember the kanji because of the extra memory step if you will. Vocab gives me more trouble. You guys with more experience is it enough with mnemonics to remeber so many vocab? or do you use something else to help?

3 Likes

I actually find the Vocab easier most of the time, especially the Kunyomi seems to be quite easy to remember for me sometimes. Maybe because the Kunyomi is more unique than the onyomi in a lot of words. Also I know quite a lot of the more simple vocabulary already, so that makes it of course easier for me as well.

Talking about another approach to remembering vocab / kanji: Once I remember the meaning of a kanji by heart, I tend to “forget” the radicals used within it. I think at some point it seems more natural to make a link between the Kanji and the Vocab and vice versa. So sometimes I will be able to remember a Kanji reading (or meaning) because I know a word where it is used in or I will be able to remember / guess the reading of a vocabulary because I know the Kanji. I would think of it more as a circle of referencing rather than a one-way street of mnemonics.

Most important is I think to actually use the words. Reading the example sentences, getting a feeling for how the words are used. I think sometimes we focus so much on learning more and more Kanji and not actually using the words that we know. I think if you try to keep using the words / reading them, you will get a natural understanding and at some point know the words without having to use the mnemonics repeatedly. Having said that, in my opinion especially the gap between knowing the Kanji and knowing a compound-word seems like the last 20% you have to do, while it also helps you “consolidate” the Kanji you already know. But that’s just my personal experience. Would be nice to hear some other people’s opinions. :slight_smile:

Anyways, I wouldn’t worry that much if you are just starting up. Once you get a better feeling for the language it will naturally be more easy to remember the vocabulary, especially if you saw one word or another somewhere else before or realize it popping up everywhere suddenly you learned it here.

I am from Germany and probably started learning Japanese like 10 years ago, on and off for the most time. I would say my understanding for smalltalk in Japanese is quite sufficient, but anything that goes beyond that my vocabulary understanding is really not enough, which is why I started WaniKani again. :slight_smile: I once came until level 9 like 7 years ago, and then quit for some reason or another. I recently starting to get motivated about improving my Japanese again, and so far it is really going well and I am having a lot of fun.

4 Likes

Thank you for the feedback postliminal!

Pleasure to meet you!

I’m going to follow your advice and start using the vocab in my day to day so I can get use to it.

Anyone have a system for using vocab?

I recommend memory palaces because it makes kanji/vocab retrival easier than just seeing the kanji/vocab and going “aha!”. I found memory palaces to be great but it does take more time and can get quite big.

I’m a WOW fan (though I do not play anymore) and I’m using maps such as Ogrimar and Stormwind to store the kanji. Did the same for hiragana. What I found is that after using the mnemonics and palace to remember things, after a while I discard the palace because I know the material. This was my experience with hiragana and I’m suspecting the same will happen with Kanji.

Question to you postliminal. I know next to nothing about the german language. For me spanish and english are very different from japanese. How does german compare to japanese?

2 Likes

I’m still an early user, but I’m short on time and always looking for new ways to increase my efficiency.
Here I’ve mentioned my personal set of tricks and the schedule: Forecasting Reviews on the Dashboard - #295 by Cumva

3 Likes