Level 21 before 2021!

That seems like a real creative way to remember Kanji! :slight_smile:
Can you give an example how you “convert” the mnemonics to something in your memory palace?
I heard a lot about this approach, but never really in regards to Kanji learning. I for example would understand how you can remember a list of groceries - kind of by going through a room and seeing the different items - but I wouldn’t know how to use it if I saw a Kanji. :slight_smile:

German is very similar to English grammar-wise, and even Spanish grammar and word-order is relatively easy to get a feeling for I would say. So I would guess learning Japanese is pretty much the same for me as it is for you. The only thing I always found quite easy was the pronunciation, because it is very similar to the Japanese way of talking. I guess that could be the same in Spanish, as opposed to English?

1 Like

I’ll absolutely join! I started just a few days ago, and I’m planning to go at a somewhat high speed. Because of corona I have a lot of time on my hands, and I’ll use it for my Japanese study. Does anyone have any recommendations as for what to do while using WK? Should I start grammar? maybe try and read? although I’m not sure I can read much at level 2 :joy:

5 Likes

From my experience, learning grammar required kanji along the way. I regret wasting time like that.
I came back to grammar at about 14th level and it felt like magic - I was 100% focused on the grammar patterns and (most) kanjis seemed as natural as English words.

Lots of people share their experience - you can start looking through them after you have a feeling of WK (at least 4 levels, I think).
Here’s my humble compilation: Forecasting Reviews on the Dashboard - #295 by Cumva

Good luck! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So an example would go like this. There is a location on the Stormwind map that I have. This is a fountain in the original map. Here I have stored the 九 (nine) Kanji. It has 3 readings, きゅう、ここの and く. So what I did was, I have a mountain of COCONuts where the KYUUbi (nine tail fox from naruto) is fighting a KUng fu guy. I remember the meaning nine because of the kyuubi’s nine tails. The mountain of coconuts replaces the statue in the fountain.

Yeah most definitely. Spanish has a lot of pronunciation similar to japanese. The らりるれろ set I find it pretty easy to pronounce for example.

2 Likes

Wow that’s pretty creative! :slight_smile: I like the Kyuubi haha!
But how do you know where to look if you see 九? Does it mean you already have to know the meaning to get to the reading?

I’d recommend reviewing the kana until you feel very comfortable with them. Aside from that, I also really love Cure Dolly’s videos on youtube. She teaches Japanese structure and grammar in a very easy to understand way, and you don’t need much Japanese knowledge to follow along. The website Bunpro is also great for reviewing (not learning) grammar, it features an SRS system similar to WK.

2 Likes

I also think grammar is quite important. If you know how to tell adjectives, verbs and nouns apart, just that can already help a lot. I mean WaniKani gives some slight hints at that, but if you know some basic grammar a lot of stuff will be much more easy to understand and to remember. For example being able to read the example sentences is quite essential in my opinion. Also some nouns can be kind of used as adjectives or adverbs. So just knowing that can make it easier to understand the different meanings a word can have. I heard a lot of people are using Bunpro, or Minna no Nihongo, but I personally don’t have any experience on that. I guess there should be some nice guides somewhere here as well.

Thanks a lot! Very insightful.

Just to be sure I understand your schedule, when exactly (in a week) are you doing your lessons?

1 Like

気持ちわるっwww
What is happening with the voice?? Is it a real person??? I am confused…

Hi Gabriel!
I started Japanese because of anime as well! I really got serious about it when my school closed. (I’m in New York.) I’m using the free time to learn Japanese! I’m also learning Chinese (Mandarin) as part of school, and I find that it really helps. The characters are similar.
-Mikey

2 Likes

I think it’s machine generated? I just started myself so I’m not entirely sure of the background here. I know it’s a bit weird to get used to at first but I think it’s worth it.

1 Like

Hi StrangeKai!
If you don’t already do this, try installing a WaniKani app on a phone or tablet. It helps me do my reviews when I’m too lazy to get up.
-Mikey

3 Likes

I’m learning new critical kanjis/radicals ASAP: on Saturday morning (10, 14 then 22 o’clock) and on Tue/Wed at 20, 00 and 10 o’clock in the morning. If I really need a Sunday evening (drinks?), I don’t learn the kanjis on Saturday and just learn the radicals.

I review the vocab in batches strictly by SRS intervals, but learn my lesson whenever it fits my mood and schedule (trying to stick to 10-14-22 or 20-00-10 time pattern).

Take note: for level critical kanji and radicals I’m using Double Check script. Make sure you don’t overuse it.

2 Likes

I would also like to join in on this! I used Wanikani a few years ago and burned out around level 12?? but now I feel a lot more motivated to try learning Japanese again! がんばります!

4 Likes

Welcome! You can do it!

3 Likes

Thank you.

the meaning and definition are both tied to the kanji. I have to remember or associate that 九 equals nine, きゅう。ここの or く。 Also in this case the numbers are ordered 1-9 in the palace. The benefits come when I remember one of the four things 九 is associated with, I probably will remember all four.

What happens when I can’t remember any of the things a kanji is associated with? I pretty much have to go through the memory palace until I locate the item.

As of right now, 九 is pretty solid in my mind. so whenever I see it, my mind goes straight to the palace location where it is. I don’t have to go through a walk around the palace.

2 Likes

Epic Maiki!

How is it handling learning two language at once? Honestly Chinese seems challenging since different tones imply different meanings. I would love to add Mandarin After I master Japanese whenever I get there.

What kind of anime do you watch?!?! I think one of the best ones is Code Geass. My journey started like 15 years ago with Naruto.

1 Like

congrats @victor866 on your level up!!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Learning Chinese and Japanese isn’t much harder, because they kind of teach each other. The kanji have similar readings and similar meanings to the characters, which helps with memorization. But tones are SOOOOO confusing.
This poem is only “shi” with different tones when spoken in Mandarin.

I watch pretty random animes. My favorites are Cells at Work and Assassination Classroom. Right now I’m watching Haikyu. I watched a few episodes of Naruto, but it wasn’t my favorite. I might rewatch it soon though.

Best of luck for WaniKani! I know I’m only level 4, but just keep doing your reviews. They will pile up if you leave them, so try to visit at least 3 times a day. If you haven’t already, read The Ultimate Guide to WaniKani. (・∀・)

幸運を! -マイキー

PS: マイキー(Maiki) is my personal Japanese name, made with sounds in the language. It is based on my nickname, Mikey.

3 Likes

WOW just saw 4 different videos to see how they read the poem. Like you said tones must be very confusing.

Epic nickname translation. I actually was thinking about this the other day. Gaby is a common nickname for Gabriel in Spanish. and we can change to Gabi and we cna use the sounds がび . I just thought it was so cool haha.

So you choose Japanese because of anime. Why did you choose Chinese?

3 Likes