Level 21 before 2021!

Welcome onboard everyone!

@Marifly maybe we could had some subgoals like you did on Tokyo Skytree?

2 Likes

Congrats on your burns Yuuzuu :tada: barbecue those turtles and savor them :champagne:

3 Likes

This podcast looks interesting! Thanks for sharing!

On the comprehension subject, I rewatched some dbz (ginyu 特戦隊).
I was surprised by how much I understand. The Japanese used seems easy enough for sure, but still!
And I just learned the kanji 特 on that morning, which made that even more special wink wink.

3 Likes

I can’t wait to do the same. Congratulations :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is an interesting idea @mweibel .

@Marifly

We can do a poll for one week. We can fix on 7 themes. We can ask people to vote and then we can add levels based on the theme which wins the most votes. Harry Potter, Pokemon etc. could be the themes.

For example: If we pick Harry Potter, we can divide our levels into 7 groups (one for each year) and once we hit level 21 we graduate from this thread. We can even come up with quirky names based on HP titles.

Level 1 - First Year - The Durtle Stone
Level 2 - Second Year - The Chamber of Koichis
Level 3 - Third Year - The Prisoner of Crabigator
Level 4 - Fourth Year - The Goblet of Goichi
Level 5 - Fifth Year - The Order of Crabigator
Level 6 - Sixth Year - The Halfblood WaniKani
Level 7 - Seventh Year - The Deathly Durtles

It would also give folks a feeling of progress. Even if we take approximately 10 days per level, 3 levels means once a month they can change the level. The time period is not too small or too big. (i.e. we are in the Goldilocks zone between too many edits and too few edits.)

Since we have folks from all over the world, we can decide on themes that are broad and relevant topics.

What do you say?

6 Likes

I love the Harry Potter levels!

2 Likes

I’m also a Harry Potter fan, but I think something japanese related would be cooler. So maybe we should continue collecting ideas for a bit. I’ll try to tink of something, too.

1 Like

@zEUs_japanese @Marifly

If we want to try something Japanese:

We can try Pokemon regions. Kanto, Johto etc.

Naruto - 8 Gates

One piece - Pirate Crews

Demon Slayer - Pillars/Hashira

Not everything fits perfectly and it might be a good idea to avoid any ranking/shipping wars. (Person X stronger than person Y etc.)

Or we can go the sports anime route: (Haikyuu, Diamond of Ace, Kuroko no Basuke etc.)

Qualifiers
First round
Second round
Quarters
Semis
Finals. - Graduation (Level 21)
Nationals - would be joining the Sky Tree thread.

Ike zenkoku seiha !!

While a thematic Japanese fit would be great, I prefer to add some spice to the content rather than going with first round, second round etc. or that kind of numbering. Providing an emotional connect , a sense of belonging would be the key.

2 Likes

Woohoo! I just hit Level 21! I admit I didn’t have as far to go as most here, but I was about to put WK on the back burner for a bit and dig much deeper into grammar but this thread motivated me to at least finish up the teens before taking a break! Now I can put WK into vacation mode and use the Self-Study script to review all my learned/burned kanji when I need a grammar break.

Thanks for all the encouragement!!

Also, I adjusted the ranking post on mobile first and I accidentally messed up the formatting! My apologies!! :expressionless:

Edit to add: I think I accidentally deleted someone’s entry so I removed the entire line to fix the formatting.

15 Likes

YAY!!! Congratulations! I’m so glad you made it!

1 Like

Aw, thanks! It feels good. And I’ve definitely been seeing a lot of this vocab while reading the Fruits Basket with the Beginner Book Club (though I’m way behind)! And I feel awful for messing up the chart. I don’t see any other opening/closing html or css tags to replace so it must be forum-specific formatting and so I’m at a loss. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

I love the HP level names. Too funny! But … I don’t really understand the concept. Maybe I skipped over something in my reading.

Don’t worry about it! I think I fixed it. Can you check? It looks OK here now at least.

If I have to explain in one word “Gamification”.

The sister thread to this thread (from Level 21-60) has the theme of Tokyo Sky Tree. Marifly came up with Observation decks as the theme to divide levels.

When Marifly originally created this thread , I am not sure if she had any specific thoughts in mind with regards to separation of levels.

To increase participation and provide folks with more incentive to stay motivated @whinette suggested we can have a theme for this thread as well.

As a part of that discussion, we are broaching multiple themes and I gave an example with Harry Potter theme.

Personally I like the idea of juicing up the levels with a theme. (Example: Using the HP theme, moving from Year 4 (Level 12) to Year 5 (Level 13-15), gives me a sense of accomplishment than just changing the level number in the Wiki.) While the theme may not change anything in real numbers, I believe it could be a good motivator if people connect with it.

I have found this thread 2 months after I started studying on WaniKani. It has been much more fun with the thread than without it. Whether it be celebrating simple milestones, griping about silly mistakes or venting about overload of lessons, doing it with everyone makes it fun.

I am thankful to everyone for contributing to the conversation and I am highly thankful that I started WK around the same time as @Marifly. She has been a gentle moderator and a wonderful motivator for the entire group. Thanks for all your efforts (おつかれさまです)

みんなさんいっしょうにべんきょうしましょう :blush:

6 Likes

Congratulations on reaching the milestone :tada::cake: Here’s to a wonderful journey ahead :confetti_ball:

2 Likes

Thank you for being here and climbing with me! It’s a lot more fun when we can go through roughly the same levels at the same time and share the experience!

6 Likes

Just entered level 13 and seeing Koichi say your golden is really something else :sob::yellow_heart:

5 Likes

I want to join. I’m currently level 1, and I could just barely make it to 21 if I did light speed, but I’d still love to join the race anyway, even if I get to the finish line a little late.

11 Likes

Welcome! Just jump right on! Even if you “only” make it to level 10 or 15 by the end of the year, you’ll still learn a lot!

@Abbas099, golden level up? Perfect!

2 Likes

I’m very competitive so this will definitely keep me motivated!

4 Likes