:durtle_hello: Let's Durtle the Scenic Route 🐢

actually, i think i would enjoy a reset later, too
but it really depends on how long i can afford wanikani

3 Likes

I’m going on just over two years on WK now, and I’ve never reset, and haven’t even unburned a single item!

My philosophy is that SRS is sort of just a memory placeholder anyway, so it’s mainly just tiding you over until you’ve encountered the word/kanji enough in a natural context that you don’t have trouble remembering it. I think there are some words that we will learn through SRS that we will just inevitably forget because they won’t show up enough in our immersion/daily life, and that’s fine. If they do show up long after you’ve forgotten them, you can look them up in a dictionary, which is essentially reviewing them again, and either they’ll stick better the next time or they won’t. If it doesn’t stick, that’s fine; it’s clearly not a word you need to know!

I’ve learned several tens of thousands of English (my native language) words in my life, and many of them I’ve forgotten at various points and had to look up in a dictionary to refresh my memory. I think forgetting some stuff is just a natural part of language use and acquisition, and you can’t worry too much about it. As long as you are using it, you should retain what you are using, and if you’re not using it, then, well, maybe you don’t need to worry about memorizing it, haha.

5 Likes

Finally levelled up to 20 after 21 days and 6 hours on level 19.

Level 19 was pretty tough not because of WK content or work load itself but for other personal reasons. I lost both lesson and review streaks which were both close to 200 already. And I had the highest pile of reviews I’d seen since I started which was 451 reviews. It took me a while to get that back to 0 and my apprentice items hiked up but i finally controlled the fire last night! Honestly thought i’d snowball and burnout.

I really hope I can get into the groove of things as I prepare for Death after Level 20!!!

11 Likes

Hello, I’m new here and I started my journey around a month ago. I try to review twice a day and I set myself the goal to reach level 15 before April, which is when some manga I bought is supposed to arrive…
Today I realized that is never going to happen, and I decided that I much rather take it slow and have concrete gains than rush towards a silly goal I set myself without knowing what it would take to achieve it in the first place.
My brand new set of よつばと!will still be there waiting for me whenever I reach level 15 or 18.

Slow and steady… :turtle:

10 Likes

You don’t need lvl 15 to read Yotsuba IMHO. You’d rather need some grammar, and a knowledgeable pal nearby to ask what all these slang and manga-specific contractions mean…

4 Likes

I guess joining a group could be fun. I’m definitely more of a slow and steady guy.
My study strategy is pretty far from the average that I always see recommended around here!
I see people talking about doing lessons at 8-9:00 , then reviews at 13:00 and reviews again at 21:00 before bed.

My personal study method is to do all of my reviews as I wake up, while at work (Remote, and mornings are slow). So get up and do all my reviews at 8:00 or 9:00 , then do about 10 lessons every night before taking my shower, around 22:00.
It probably tanks my apprentice 1 accuracy, since I have a gap of 10-11 hours instead of 4 when I review them, but that is how I like to do it.
I used to do lessons in the morning back when I started, but I found that I retain information a lot better when learned late at night rather than early in the morning.

I average about 1 level every 20 days for now (Not counting the 3 and half years I spent on level 4 :smiley: ) , and I hope to maintain it until I’m 60.

No idea how to actually use this thread, but I’ll be lurking :durtle_hello:

9 Likes

Hello and welcome! Lurk away. No one way to use this thread. I like seeing everyone’s progress, so I appreciate when folks share their level ups.

4 Likes

I agree, thank you. I will probably lurk the Book Club when I begin reading.
Luckily I’ve had some formal Japanese classes back when I was in college so I think maybe I won’t be so riddled with it at the beginning, except for the slang of course… we will see!
I want to be able to get a few jokes or something even if takes time. I came up with that level 15 or 18 goal based on the Natively level they gave the manga :stuck_out_tongue: but I wouldn’t know if it’s accurate, although a lot of people recommend that site.

To answer to @Superdeva , I’m also not sure how to use the thread but it’s interesting to share our routines. I have a similar routine to yours, I review during my lunch breaks at noon and then again around 8pm after I have dinner. I usually do new lessons at night and wait till noon next day to review them, I feel for our :brain: s

5 Likes

The Natively levels don’t correspond to WK levels. They have their own system there. Yotsuba at level 18 is I believe around N4 level, so roughly around where you’d be having completed beginner studies right before starting intermediate. Of course, you totally can read it earlier than that, but you’ll need to rely more on the thread probably.

Also, WK levels don’t really have much of a bearing at all with regards to Yotsuba because it has full furigana, so you could read it without being able to read a single kanji. Grammar is far more important for your comprehension there.

4 Likes

I see, when I last had class I was preparing for N3, but it was years ago and I was using a different book from all I read in here. The book we used was called Situational Functional Japanese (sfj) so the order in which I learned grammar points was a little different from Minna or Genki.

I went through Genki I last month, just reviewing all and reading, and right now I’m on Genki II, some lessons I would just read because I kind of remember, others I stay longer and actually study a bit and do some exercises.
Though I must admit I’ve fallen asleep quite a few times while watching toki ni Andy, usually I read the lesson and watch the video for that lesson for around one week or so, just a few minutes at a time each day or else I’ll fall asleep.

Personally, I think I still have the “feel” to know if the sentence makes sense or not when practicing, at least while I was reading the contents of Genki I and some of II I would get that “yeah, that sounds right” feel or “I remember this!” moment.

I’m doing my best with Wanikani right now because I think my vocabulary has faded tremendously and it makes me a bit sad that I’ve forgotten so much. :slightly_frowning_face:

(sorry for the long post!)

6 Likes

I’m here finally, everyone clap. Gosh this level was a beast. Not because of the difficulty, but because I was very demotivated in the beginning and mid-way, but I’m finally through.

Levelling up is always so sweet. But the numbers in this level are so ugly lol.

Anyways, now we onto tackle the 8th level :sparkles:

9 Likes

Yay! I made it to level 29 finally! :partying_face::balloon: (Took me 39 days, due to an influx of old Enlighteneds. My median/typical level-up time is 22 days.)

This is officially the highest level I’ve ever reached yet on WaniKani, since I had previously reset from level 28 down to level 7 some time ago.

Last time, at level 28, I had been trying to ‘go fast’, but as usual life 'n things got in the way of maintaining such a rapid pace for so long, and it didn’t take long for my review stack to pile up to over 9000! 2000. Not to mention, constantly trying to keep up with reviews was causing me stress and anxiety.

After coming back from that hiatus, that’s when I decided I needed to slow myself right down. And soon after that, I found this thread and saw that it was a great match for me.

Even with the extra Enlighteneds knocking on my door, I just took them on bit by bit, day by day. The great thing is, no anxiety or stress anymore. Doing reviews is still/again fun like it used to be!

Hooray for Durtling the Scenic Route! :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Hooray! :partying_face: Congrats on achieving a new milestone and even more for finding the fun again :smiley:

4 Likes

Big congratulations! :confetti_ball:
I’m a little bit scared of letting a few days go by after seeing a few memes of those insane review piles.
The trick is to find that sweet spot that is completely personal in terms of the quantity we can handle. I’m still trying to figure that out.

I leveled up on Sunday night and I had around 120 new lessons and had a mini adrenaline spike :woozy_face: so I took it slow and separated the new lessons into 3 blocks that I finished learning today. Felt much better like that, but now I have 129 items on Apprentice, first time going over a hundred here, wish me luck for the rest of the week.

6 Likes

You’re still in the very early levels, so you should be fine for now, but just consider: There’s nothing that says you have to finish all of your Lesson pile right away.

In fact, while some/many people choose to follow a “certain # of lessons per day/week” routine (and this definitely can be good, especially for setting up a very regular/predictable progression), I personally focus almost entirely on how many reviews I have in my Review pile and also to how many reviews I have coming up in my Review Forecast for the week.

I (usually) only add new lessons when I’m starting to run low on upcoming reviews, adding new Lessons in batches of 5, and usually only adding a maximum of one batch per day. Often, though, I will not add any new lessons during a day. Sometimes several days in a row.

This is less regular/predictable than ‘certain # of lessons every single day’, but it’s also more flexible/adaptable. And, in that way it’s more ‘dynamically predictable’ in a sense: I know for sure that I will be able to adapt my # of incoming reviews either down to a less-stressful level, or up to a more-active level, depending on how I feel about my workload at any given time.

I sometimes think of Lessons as like the accelerator pedal of a car (or perhaps like adding logs to a bonfire, or adding coal to an old steam train). Yes, if you hold the accelerator down to a very steady point, the car will end up at a very steady speed. But, if you want the car to be able to slow down, or speed up, at any point, then you’ll at some point need to be able to lift up, or press down, on the accelerator. (Of course, the full effect of adjusting the ‘accelerator’ is not felt right away – there’s a delayed effect – which is why the adding-logs-on-a-bonfire or adding-coal-to-a-steam-train metaphors are perhaps somewhat more accurate.)

So, think of it this way: Your bonfire is currently just starting out. It’s burning nicely, but it’s not very big yet. On Sunday night, when you leveled up, you got a delivery of 120 new logs to your woodpile. Already, by Tuesday, you’ve added all 120 logs to your bonfire. It’s grown by +120 logs from whatever size it previously was (let’s say roughly 500 logs worth). That’s a pretty significant size growth. But since it’s still pretty small, you’re still going to be pretty okay in the near term.

But if you were to keep adding all of your new lessons immediately at the beginning of each new level, you will end up with big surges in your reviews periodically – like those fresh logs all starting to catch fire and flare up all at once.

Or, for a more visceral car-based metaphor, by adding 120 lessons in a short period of time, it’s like you’ve suddenly pressed the accelerator down hard – not quite to the bottom, because as you said, you did spread them out into 3 batches, but still quire hard – and that’s going to make the car surge forward in speed. That is probably okay, because your car currently isn’t going very fast (it only started from 0 a little while ago, in the metaphor). But later on, if every time you have the opportunity you press hard on the accelerator, your car is going to end up lurching fast-and-then-slow, fast-and-then-slow, over and over. Needless to say, it may become quite a ‘crazy’ ride! At the very least, it won’t be a ‘comfy’ ride. And all that focus on how fast-and-slow the car is going will distract your from the lovely view of the Scenic Route (of the fun/joy of learning Japanese in general)! :sweat_smile:

Anyway, I hope those analogies/metaphors are helpful for getting a feel of what adding Lessons is like. They are like fuel, so you need them, but you don’t need to add them all-at-once, or even particularly quickly, once you get new ones. Indeed, it can be more pleasant just to add them very slowly-but-steadily (like a certain # per day/week) or only when-and-as-needed (like when your Review stack and Review Forecast are starting to ‘thin out’).

Again, it’s not so crucial right now at level 5, but it will become more important as you level up and have more ‘logs on the fire’, so to speak.

[Once again, a comment I intended to be short-and-sweet ended up being novella-length. :man_shrugging::sweat_smile:]

7 Likes

bocchi-the-rock
Now I’m terrified. :skull:

7 Likes

It’s only a huge issue if you’re like me and try and keep your reviews at 0 at all times of the day. (I often wake up on a weekend to 110 reviews and do them all in one go!)

You’ll find your reviews come in lumps for the next few days/weeks, but if you don’t do all the reviews in one go, they’ll start to space out.

5 Likes

@wct all these analogies were great! I also base how many lessons I do on how many reviews I have coming up and I totally agree with your reasoning for why this is a good method!

oh no ahahah ! It will be okay!
Another thing to remember is that having lots of reviews is okay. Of course it can feel stressful and overwhelming (partially because of those cute but v scary illustrations WK use depending on how many reviews you have haha), but I think there’s a tendancy for us to believe that if we have 120 reviews come in all at once then we have to finish them in one sitting immediately. Of course that thought would make most of us feel stressed! During my 100+ day levels, there were many times when I had 600+ reviews (I think my peak was over 1000 reviews or something crazy). I knew I couldn’t do it in one sitting so the only alternative was just slowly chipping away at them. I had to get used to seeing a huge number of reviews. But through that, I learned to accept them. So now, they’re way less scary and I’m way less intimidated by the thought of review batches coming in the hundreds. I’ll get to them whenever I get to them. It’s no biggie at all!

Essentially: I agree with what @pembo wrote concisely hahah I opted for the novella-length comment like @wct haha

6 Likes

Ah, that reminds me of one of WK’s little features that is not very obvious, and I’m pretty sure some people (especially if relatively new to WK) aren’t yet aware of, or – even if they are aware of it – may not realize how often it can be useful. Which is:

The Wrap Up Button

Wrap Up Button

Wrap Up Button-hover

Wrap Up Button-active

What WK is ‘remembering’ while you’re doing a review session

Imagine WaniKani (WK) is a person, and you’re playing a kind of ‘card game’ with WK. You’re playing the part of the quiz-taker, and WK is playing the part of the quiz-master. Your stack of review items is the ‘deck of cards’.

WK, the quiz-master, is going to show you the front-face of your review-cards, and you have to guess the answer on the back-face of the card. Just like when doing flash-cards, if you’ve ever done that as a kid.

But WK doesn’t hold the entire deck of review-cards at once. Instead, WK draws 10 cards from the review deck, and holds them in its ‘hand’. Let’s call this list of cards the CurrentHand, just to give it a name. It usually consists of 10 cards, with some exceptions, such as if the initial deck of reviews consisted of less than 10 cards to begin with, or if WK starts running out of cards as the quiz goes on.

Starting with the initial 10 cards, we have to realize that actually most of these cards are actually made up of 2 question/answer pairs. One is the Meaning pair, and the other is the Reading pair. (Radical cards only have a Meaning pair.)

This means that even after WK shows you the first card (for the first time), it has only shown you half of this card, and even if you answer it correctly, WK will not discard this card from its CurrentHand list, until it later shows you the second half of the card, and you also answer that one correctly.

So, every time you get both parts of a card right, WK discards that card (for this review session anyway), and then immediately draws another card from the review stack, if it can. So, most of the time, WK will have exactly 10 cards in its CurrentHand. But if it can’t draw a new card, e.g. if the review stack is empty, then it will discard down to 9 cards, then 8 cards, etc., until it runs out of cards, and that’s the end of the review session.

However, suppose you were to get up in the middle of one of these card games, and go out to go grocery shopping, or to a movie or whatever. Well, WK will eventually think, “Huh, I guess that’s the end of this game,”

WK will then place any of the cards remaining in its CurrentHand back into your Review deck – even if you’ve already half-answered some of those cards in its CurrentHand. This is where the Wrap Up feature comes into play.

What is the Wrap Up feature?

Instead of just abandoning your review session (e.g. by closing the browser tab or navigating to a different page, such as by clicking the ‘Home’ icon in the upper left), you can tell WK, “Okay, let’s just finish the remaining cards in your CurrentHand, but don’t draw anymore cards from my Review deck. I want to end this game/session, but I don’t want to ‘lose’ any correct answers I’ve already made that are still only half-answered cards.”

That’s exactly what the Wrap Up feature is intended for. And that’s what it does. You finish off the remaining CurrentHand list, which is why the counter almost always starts at 10 and counts down. When you reaches 1 and you get that card right, it discards that card (for this review session), sees it has an empty ‘hand’, and ends the game gracefully. No progress gets ‘lost’.

But the Wrap Up feature can be used for (psychologically) different reasons, too!

How Wrap Up can be used with Durtling the Scenic Route

(Note: this is not exclusive to the Scenic Route, nor is this an exhaustive description of how the Wrap Up feature can be used. It’s just some ways I’ve used it myself. Would be glad to hear if others have other ideas about it, too!)

1. Probably the first way I used it was in a circumstance like @raindrops was describing:
    “I knew I couldn’t do it in one sitting so the only alternative was just slowly chipping away at them.”
    When your review stack is just so big that you have no hope of finishing it in one session. At some point, you just have to stop. And you might as well use the Wrap Up button, so you don’t lose any of your progress.
    This seems to me the closest to the original intent of the Wrap Up feature. But!

2. If your review stack is so so big that you can’t even hope to finish it over several days, then you start to realize that: Though you may not be able to finish it in one or a few sessions, as long as you make some progress on a regular basis, you will be able to tackle that giant mountain, at least eventually! So, what’s most important is not so much doing “as many reviews as possible per session” as it is “doing at least some reviews on a regular basis”, and putting that another way, you could rephrase it as “doing at least one review session every [day/week/whatever]”.
    And so, as long as you’re doing at least one review session per day, you can pretty much choose how many of how few reviews you want to do during any particular session. You don’t have to go all out until you reach your limit every session. After all, that can be very stressful and draining.
    Maybe yesterday you did 300 (going all out), but maybe today you only do 100 (still a sizeable chunk). At least you’re doing some every day.
    So, you pick a number of reviews to do today, and when you get to about 10 away from that number of reviews, you click the Wrap Up button to finish off the session.
    Maybe you think to yourself, “I could do even more, maybe,” but for whatever reason you’ve decided, “But this is enough for today.”
    … But, then, … there are those … other kinds of days. When you can’t handle doing 100. Or maybe even 50. In fact, yYou’re not sure how many you’ll be able to handle. So…

3. When you want to at least do as long a review session as you can handle, even if you don’t know how much that is at the start. The main thing here is to keep doing at least one session per day. And you’ve realized that today it is only going to be one single session. That’s okay. But how many items? Not sure. At least you’re going to get started and go as far as you can.
    Once you get to the point you start to feel overwhelmed – or, actually, before you feel overwhelmed, since you don’t want to be feeling overwhelmed every single day! – you press Wrap Up and you only have 10 more to go.
    Ugh. 10 more to go? “Can I really do these 10 more? I’m already starting to feel overwhelmed…” Yes! Actually, you will see it if you try it. You will be able to finish that last 10. You’ve done thousands and thousands of reviews by now, and even if you’re questioning your ability to do just 10 reviews, your well-practiced mind and body will just get through them. After all, these 10 are the last ones, and there are no more after that. The overwhelm is coming to an end, it is not going to continue. That is the key.
    Which leads to the ‘worst possible case’ scenario:

4. If you’re not sure you can even do any reviews today, but you realize from before that the key to tackling that mountain is to do at least some reviews every [day/week/whatever]. After having used the Wrap Up feature many times by this point, even if you’re having doubts about doing one of those #3 “Well, at least as much as I can” sessions, you can rest assured that no matter how many items you do in a session, at least you’ll be able to use that trusty Wrap Up button at the end, to finish up the remaining 10 items.
    “But what if I start a session and then I can’t even do any items? Could I still make it through the Wrap Up phase?” Yes! Actually, you can! Because you’re not going to be starting some big daunting task! You’re actually just going to be ‘wrapping up’ your 0-item review session … which is technically already DONE! You did ‘as many as you could’, which happened to be 0 items. But now you’re done that, and you’re just going to ‘wrap up’ your ‘progress’ by doing the ‘final 10’ items that are in WK’s CurrentHand.
    And you’ve done this so many times before, and you’ve always succeeded in wrapping up the final 10, that strangely, you have no doubts that you can actually do them.
    So, you simply start a review session as normal, and immediately press Wrap Up!
    You’re essentially doing a ‘zero-item’ review, but because WK always draws 10 review cards initially, and Wrap Up always finishes off WK’s CurrentHand to empty, you ‘automatically’ get a bonus +10 items completed even on your 0-item review sessions.
    So, no matter what, you can always make some progress on even the worst mountain of reviews, every single [day/week/whatever].

5. You’ve become so skilled at using Wrap Up that you’re able to flexibly end review sessions whenever you need to, and indeed whenever you feel like it.

• Feeling a bit anxious about continuing this review session (not yet overwhelm, just anxious)? Just Wrap it Up for now. You can always do another session later.
    • Just Wrapped Up that last session, but you now realize that the anxiety you were feeling has faded, and you wouldn’t mind doing a bit more? Just start up another session right now (why not?). You can always just Wrap it Up, too, whenever you feel the need.
    • Just started this new session, but now suddenly starting to feel dread again? Not even sure it was a good idea to start this new session after all? Already feeling regret? No problem!!! Just click Wrap Up right away. You’re already DONE, now! No pressure anymore. Just finish off these last 10 like you always can do, and that’s the end of it. Doesn’t even take more than a minute or two!

After using Wrap Up in this way for I think probably over a year now, it has really helped me be able to face my anxieties over doing reviews, and take them on, challenge them (“Hey, maybe I can do another round, let’s find out!”), and overcome them (“Cool! I actually was able to.”). Because of this, the anxieties have faded a lot. I may still have twinges of anxiety here or there, but because Wrap Up allows me to always succeed in my review sessions, those past experiences of success soon balance out my anxious brain and allow me to just ‘let go’ of those anxious feelings.

[Yet again, a massive post. Apologies. I’m not even going to go back over it to try to make it shorter, as I’ve already spent too long on it. But I hope it is nevertheless useful or interesting to some others, so I think it’s worth posting anyway. :sweat_smile:]

11 Likes

yeees I do number 4 (the 0 item review session) all the time hehe it’s awesome

4 Likes