:durtle_hello: Let's Durtle the Scenic Route šŸ¢

Everyone can do 0/0 each level, regardless of speed, if they prioritize the vocab (and radicals) and do the kanji last. That way youā€™ll end up with only kanji in the end, locking your level. No worries about excess lessons ever and can do a set number of lessons without much issues. This should be a feature without needing reorder script imo.

2 Likes

I donā€™t personally like doing that, though, because I prefer to do the kanji slowly throughout the level instead of doing them in clumps. Itā€™s easier for me to learn 3 kanji in one day than 10 or 15, for instance, even if Iā€™m regularly doing 10 or 15 lessons a day. Doing too many kanji lessons at once burns me out. I also really dislike going through huge clumps of vocab lessons for days with zero kanji. That used to be really discouraging for me when I was still doing vanilla lesson order, and would have like a week of pure vocab lessons at the end/beginning of each level before Iā€™d even see the radicals for the next level pop up.

Also, for what itā€™s worth, before I started using the lesson filter script to spread the kanji throughout the level, Iā€™d do 10-15 lessons a day and never end up quite reaching 0/0 because Iā€™d be unlocking lessons faster than I could complete them all. So there are speeds where you can follow WKā€™s vanilla order and never see 0/0. But excess lessons are not a problem unless you have stuff from two+ levels back in there.

4 Likes

i agree- lately been taking it much slower with kanji.

3 Likes

Thank you, didnt see whole thread :smiley: I just changed order just like you told me, i will see if it works better for me. :pray:

2 Likes

A new year is starting, itā€™s time to get back on good habits :smiley:
I donā€™t know how it went for you, but on my side life became crazy busy in the last few months of 2022, and the rhythm at which I did new lessons got really impactedā€¦

Iā€™ve always been a slow durtle but this is out of control! My goal is to go back to do 15-20 lessons per week for January, and weā€™ll see how that goes. Whatever your pace is, I believe in you my sweet slow friends <3

10 Likes

Hehe, honestly, I havenā€™t either. Itā€™s a bit long now! :sweat_smile:

(But thatā€™s not such a bad thing. People can just join in; no need to read the whole thing unless one wants to.)

2 Likes

I made it to level 13! It took ~46 days, but considering that included a vacation break to cram for the JLPT + lots of holiday chaos, Iā€™m still pretty proud of it. Iā€™m back on track with daily lessons now and hoping things smooth out.

I also started trying out Bunpro for grammar, but Iā€™m having trouble juggling all the SRS queues. Iā€™ve got WaniKani + 2 Anki decks + Bunpro now, and that seems to be too much for my brain and schedule. Not sure if I can just use Bunpro occasionally instead of every day, or if Iā€™m better off with another grammar review method like a workbook. Any ideas?

12 Likes

I would ditch Bunpro personally, worked way better to just get a N5-N1 deck with example sentences and work through them and make sure you understand the sentences. Conjugating verbs is frustrating when a beginner. Would highly recommend.

4 Likes

I am currently using WK as my ā€˜primaryā€™ learning tool, BunPro as my ā€˜secondaryā€™, and KaniWani as a kind of ā€˜back upā€™ tool (cuz it progresses basically in synch with your WK, and only covers one type of review, namely ā€˜productionā€™ (answering in Japanese kana/kanji from the given English meaning)).

By ā€˜primaryā€™, I mean that I focus most strongly on maintaining steady (though ā€˜scenic routeā€™) progress on WK. When in doubt, Iā€™ll do WK reviews first.

So, as my ā€˜secondaryā€™, I have a lower threshold for ā€˜steady progressā€™ for BunPro. Basically, as long as Iā€™m

• Doing at least one review per day (to keep my ā€˜study streakā€™ going), and
  • Keeping my Ghost count fairly low (say, below 10 or 20),
  • Keeping my review count from growing and growing (i.e. as long as itā€™s roughly stable over the course of a week, and not increasing),
    then I consider myself as maintaining ā€˜good enoughā€™ progress for BunPro.

Essentially, if/when I have sufficient time/motivation, Iā€™ll try to do more than the above minimum reviews per day. So, that looks like doing maybe around 20-30 grammar reviews per day. If Iā€™m really on a roll, I may go higher, but Iā€™m trying not to get sucked in to doing SRS all day long, so I try to keep it more limited these days.

But if, as is the case in the last few months, Iā€™ve been building up reviews and starting to get overwhelmed, Iā€™ll cut out doing lessons at all, and focus on just doing at least one review per day (for the streak maintenance and the habit of ā€˜daily reviewsā€™), but usually somewhere between 5 and maybe 15 per day.

Fortunately, I had planned ahead for this possibility by getting the lifetime subscription, so it doesnā€™t really matter to me (in terms of money) how long it takes.

I expect that, once I advance further in WK and start to venture out into reading Japanese more regularly, I will find myself struggling with grammar more, and less with kanji, and so I may shift my priorities to BunPro as primary and WK as secondary. But Iā€™m not quite there yet.

I would suggest that you find some happy middle-ground that works for you: If youā€™re currently having trouble juggling SRS queues, then itā€™s probably not going to get better unless you slow something down, and probably slow it down quite a bit. Decide what your main priorities are currently and focus your valuable and limited time on studying that. You can either drop one or another SRS system altogether, if the pressureā€™s just too much, or just keep it at a ā€˜maintenanceā€™ level of some minimum # of reviews per day, if you think youā€™ll refocus on it at some later time. Maintaining a minimum # of reviews per day will also, importantly, prevent or at least reduce the giant mountain of reviews youā€™ll end up accumulating if you just abandon an SRS queue for a while and then come back to it later.

Another good option that I havenā€™t really used (but probably could have!) is Vacation Mode, which is available both on WK and BunPro. That will definitely prevent a huge pile of reviews when you come back. However, personally, itā€™s not just about the reviews, itā€™s about ā€˜maintainingā€™ my knowledge and exposure, so I think I still prefer the ā€˜min # of daily reviewsā€™ approach.

Bottom line, if youā€™re currently getting overwhelmed, Iā€™d highly recommend changing something now rather than later. Reduce the amount of stuff you ā€˜have toā€™ do every day until it gets down to a more comfortable, pleasant, and therefore long-term-sustainble level. Doesnā€™t mean you have to ditch anything necessarily (though you might), but at least put stronger limits on how much time you devote to them, so that they donā€™t overwhelm you over time.

As far as using a grammar workbook, well, actually, BunProā€™s original main purpose was as an SRS supplement to existing grammar resources like textbooks and websites (like Tae Kimā€™s). Indeed, they have two features to help you ā€˜follow alongā€™ with some particular grammar resource. The first is the Paths feature, which re-orders the lessons according to the order that grammar points are presented in various textbooks/websites. E.g. they have paths for the Genki books, Minna no Nihongo, Tae Kim, and a couple others. The second feature is the more-recent Decks feature (which might still be in Beta version, actually, though it works quite well) which also basically re-orders the lessons in the order of some grammar resource; but itā€™s a little bit more flexible than the Paths feature.

When I started BunPro, I was about half-way through the first Genki book, and I ended up finishing the Genki book by using the Genki path on BunPro. So, it actually works quite well to use BunPro with another grammar resource, IMHO. If you do so, then focus on the grammar resource primarily, and use BunPro as a tool to assist your study. E.g. I would read the Genki book, do the bookā€™s exercises myself, and then add the corresponding grammar points/lessons on BunPro, so that I would be able to continue to practice what I had learned in the Genki book, and not have it fade away to be forgotten.

These days, I actually use BunPro as my main grammar resource, generally following their default lesson ordering which is according to the JLPT level system; but I also use the Decks feature to add grammar points from other resources (such as Tae Kimā€™s) as a supplement. Most of BunProā€™s grammar points include links or references to textbooks and websites which cover the specific points, so it is possible to use BunPro this way, as the main tool, while still being connected to the various more-traditional grammar resources, via the links and references.

9 Likes

Level 52!

I spent my standard 14 days on the past level, so this is technically a very late update, haha, but I was finishing up my last couple weeks at my job and had family visiting, then went from that into ć‚¤ćƒƒćƒ†ćƒ³ćƒØćƒ³ week, which is the biggest week of the year for Japanese wrestling, so I was basically continuously busy, and didnā€™t have much time to go on this forum! I stayed on track with WK and Anki, but have to do some catching up now on Minna no Nihongo and some other commitments.

Things are quieting down now, though! Hoping Iā€™ll be on time for once with the next update! :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Level 20 reached \o/

11 Likes

Thank you! Any deck recommendations? Iā€™m pretty good at understanding basic grammar in the wild, but Iā€™m bad at production, which is why Iā€™m poking around at more interactive resources. Iā€™m open to ideas, though.

This advice makes a lot of sense to me. I have a habit of biting off more than I can chew, and it all seems importantā€¦ but then I get overwhelmed and fall behind on all of it. Iā€™ll probably stick to a few reviews a day on Bunpro for now, and not add any more lessons until Iā€™m back on top of all my other stuff.

I do like the fact that Bunpro can follow along with a textbook (I just started Genki 2). Iā€™d been hoping to do the same lessons as the textbook every week in Bunpro, but I might just let Bunpro lag behind.

5 Likes

I think I will take your advice and reset to a lower level, I donā€™t know yet which one.

I am proud of myself because I tackle a long list of 1200 reviews pilled up, and I have "only 800+ review now. But it destroy my motivation to go through it so I think I will really reset.

5 Likes

Tadammm !

0 Review for the first time since 2 years, I feel relief ! :triumph:

16 Likes

heck yeah! 恊悁恧ćØ恆ļ¼ļ¼ :tada:

3 Likes

Yes! :partying_face: That right there is a huge thing, in my opinion. Learning Japanese should not be a source of excessive stress ā€“ especially when we ourselves ultimately have control over how much pressure we want to give ourselves. Letting go of unhelpful self-imposed ā€˜requirementsā€™ can be such a huge relief.

I hope it helps you regain your enjoyment and motivation like it did for me when I reset. :cherry_blossom::turtle: ā€“ :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

恊悁恧ćØć†ć”ć–ć„ć¾ć™ļ¼ļ¼
ćƒ¾(惻Ļ‰ćƒ»)惎悜+.悜ā˜…ć‚£ć‚§ć‚£ā˜†ć‚œ+.ć‚œćƒ¾(惻Ļ‰ćƒ»)惎

4 Likes

114 days on level 15 but I finally made it to Level 16!
I feel like I should get a Pro Durtler buttonā€¦ :melting_face:

14 Likes

Long time no see! Finally at level 17 afterā€¦ 137 days?? :caught_durtling:

Letā€™s just say life got in the way. This is the longest Iā€™ve spent on a level by far. Lesson learned is definitely remember to do vacation mode (dealing with 900 reviews back in November/December was wild). This year I definitely still want to keep up with WaniKani, but itā€™ll be less of a priority as I have many goals this year outside of Japanese.

Good luck everyone for 2023 :muscle:

13 Likes

Managed to guru my entire apprentice queue the evening before going out of town and turning on vacation mode lol

10 Likes