:durtle_hello: Let's Durtle the Scenic Route šŸ¢

Day 34 on Level 8 for me. But Iā€™m almost at the end, counting down the last few items!

5 Likes

Made it to 22 last night! Spend just shy of twelve days on 21. I think I will change my average level up time, but maybe after next level, haha.

Itā€™s been a pretty busy month so far! Very grateful for the two weeks break before the spin-off club for the absolute beginners book club starts. Iā€™ve gotten my reviews done and some textbook study done, but not much else :sweat_smile:. Looking forward to December.

5 Likes

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay !! i finally made it to level 11 and the next stage of WK !!! here we go 苦!!! :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: iā€™ve never been so happy to see the crabigator surrounded by lessons mwahaha (just kidding i will save u soon crabigator :pleading_face: :pleading_face:)

i really felt myself counting down the days leading up to this level-up like never before, doing the reviews as soon as they came in; it felt so sloooow (took me 35 days in all woof, my third longest level) but iā€™m feeling so proud of myself rn!! the email made me a bit emotionaaaal x

good luck everyone ^-^

6 Likes

Congrats!! Bon voyage from the Pleasants! :sailboat:

3 Likes

Just added myself to the list, I hope to enjoy the durtle lifestyle with yā€™all! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

8 Likes

Am I doing it right?

9 Likes

looks good to me!

2 Likes

I was so busy at the end of November, I just realized I forgot to post here when I leveled up! I made it to 23! Took just over twelve days. It was probably my hardest level yet, and I got the least done outside of WK than I have since I started studying in earnest. I did manage to win NaNoWriMo, though (my thirteenth year in a row!).

Iā€™m working on catching back up on MNN, as well as reading volume two of å¤§ęµ·åŽŸćØå¤§ęµ·åŽŸ along with the spin-off book club here. So far, it hasnā€™t been too hard getting back in the swing of things. Itā€™s so nice to have free time again! :blush:

I also changed my average level up time in this thread to 14 days instead of 15, since these 12 day levels have been lowering my average.

9 Likes

ā€˜Doing it rightā€™ is whatever feels ā€˜rightā€™ to you. I think if youā€™re enjoying the process of using WK to learn Japanese (kanji plus a bit of vocab), then thatā€™s what counts as ā€˜the scenic routeā€™.

If youā€™re going so fast that itā€™s no longer enjoyable (e.g. stressful, overwhelming): :turtle::sweat_drops::dash::leaves::hot_face:, then you could slow down until itā€™s enjoyable again.

Or, if youā€™re going so slow that it feels like youā€™re not really making much progress toward your own personal goals of learning, and hence itā€™s not really enjoyable :wilted_flower::wavy_dash::wavy_dash::turtle::zzz::confused:, then Iā€™d say that even speeding up a bit could be a way to get back on the ā€˜scenic routeā€™, i.e. back to where itā€™s actually enjoyable again.

I donā€™t think itā€™s going slow just to go slow; itā€™s more like ā€˜going at your own paceā€™ to ā€˜enjoy the delights of the journeyā€™ along the way. :sparkles::cherry_blossom::turtle::blush:

7 Likes

little update from level 11:

today i finally crossed that line going from where u have no kanji passed in the level to about half passed; i love that moment bc seeing that bar fill up is super motivating but i also know from past experience itā€™s deceptive hehe - i still have a long while to go before passing this level (wkstats even thinks its still 20 days whelp)!

interestingly, i also have the most critical condition items i think iā€™ve ever had in this level despite finding the concepts relatively simple! ä¹—ć‚Šå “ and ä¹—ć‚Šē‰© are super easy and yet i keep mixing them up bc of the wing radical!

p.s. @wct I LOVED THIS very good advice and sentiment!! I definitely relate to the perhaps unintuitive speeding up to get to the scenic route idea :heartpulse:

5 Likes

Awesome work!!

3 Likes

made it to level 12 babbbbyyyy :fire: or should i say 十äŗŒē“š :smirk: (ā€¦should i say that hahaa? learnt the kanji for ā€œlevelā€ in level 11 but who knows if thatā€™s actually how you would say ā€œlevel 12ā€ haha)

feeling happy :slight_smile: level 11 took me 15 days which is the shortest amount of time a level has taken me (except level 1!); my average level-up time went down by 2 days because of it!

really feeling good and comfortable with having upped the pace of my WK learning lately (given that my life situation can accommodate that now!) but iā€™m still sticking to my rule of no more than 100 apprentice items at any given time! feels a lil tempting to want to just get all those lessons down to 0, but i know my learning style: iā€™ll learn everything better if i keep to that rule!

that said, between u n me, itā€™d be dope to get to level 13 before 2022 :high_touch:

hope yā€™all are having a good week <3

4 Likes

Made it to level 10, yahoo!! Currently looking at almost 100 items to learn and over 100 items to reviewā€¦ (crawls back into the futon)

5 Likes

恊悁恧ćØć†ć”ć–ć„ć¾ć™ļ¼level 10 is a huge accomplishment !

3 Likes

Yes! This is exactly what we are all about! :durtle_love:
When speeding too fast you miss the joy of the journey. So itā€™s about slowing down, if only just a little, to enjoy the journey itself (every kanji we see, every milestone we meet)

4 Likes

Hopped out of my reviews early so I could take a pic at the right time lmao :smiling_imp:

I really gotta do some more lessons.

8 Likes

always a happy sight :deciduous_tree: :deciduous_tree: :deciduous_tree: :deciduous_tree:

8 Likes

Level 24! Thirteen days this time. This was maybe the hardest level for me yet, both in terms of real life sort of getting in the way, and the material itself seeming to be more difficult. My accuracy dipped a little bit near the end of last month because I did a lot of reviews while busy or distracted, so I had some older items bouncing back while also trying to learn a bunch of new vocab that was especially difficult due to being a lot of words for abstract concepts that were harder to pin down.

But, in any case, I got through it and am on level 24 now! I also decided to go from doing 13 lessons most days to doing 12 a day. A very small decrease, haha, but it will add up over time. Iā€™m hoping itā€™ll help make up for some of the older reviews returning.

One thing thatā€™s cool is that I started WaniKani at the end of December 2020, so Iā€™m coming up on a year of doing this! Despite having an uneven start for the first few months, I ended up averaging about two weeks a level after all. If I keep up this pace, I should have about a year and a half left!

8 Likes

@fallynleaf congrats on approaching nearly a year of WK ! thatā€™s a fun milestone ! :confetti_ball:

hey all :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: achieved this goal and made it to level 13 this morning which brought my level-up average from 36 days to 28 ??? crazy!

my level-up time is so high bc of levels 5 and 6; throughout level 5, i was writing most of my final papers for my degree and during level 6, i was going through some seriously heavy life stuff so it totally makes sense the levels took so long. Iā€™m definitely only able to do this quicker-than-my-average rate because of my life situation atm allowing me to but it feels good getting in this learning while i can. not to mention it feels super healing seeing the effects of the level 6 period of my life slowly fading if that makes sense.

anyway, feeling grateful!

9 Likes

Hey guys, as someone who is also taking about 25ish days per level I canā€™t help to feel like I am not doing enough on a daily basis to reach a somewhat fluent level within the next 4-5 years.

How much are you guys putting into your studies day by day as scenic durtlers?
I understand itā€™s no use to compare these numbers but I am genuinely curious how other slow folks on WK schedule their days.

For reference, I am doing roughly an hour a day with 20ish minutes put into SRS, the rest being grammar cramming and content input (also a weekly Italki sesh)

4 Likes