:durtle_hello: Let's Durtle the Scenic Route šŸ¢

I actually put quite a bit of time into Japanese each day, though WK is only a relatively small portion of that. I think I spend a little over an hour on SRS each day (split between WaniKani, Kaniwani, and Anki), and often well over an hour or two on textbook study, writing practice, and reading, plus a lot of hours of passive immersion (watching unsubtitled Japanese media, reading tweets on twitter, etc.) that I donā€™t count as study time :sweat_smile:.

Itā€™s hard to measure progress toward fluency, but Iā€™m about a third of the way through the Minna no Nihongo beginner series and am on track to complete it around when I complete WK, which should be in a year and a half or so (Iā€™m taking about 12-14 days per level). Once I reach an intermediate level, I suspect that Iā€™ll be able to progress a lot faster because reading will become substantially easier (and thanks to WK, kanji wonā€™t be a bottleneck), so Iā€™m hoping this puts me on track to become decently proficient at the language within the next 4-5 years.

I should mention, though, that I am not practicing speaking at all because it isnā€™t a priority for me. My goal with learning the language is reading and auditory comprehension, not using it to communicate with other people. So even if I reach an advanced reading/listening level, my ability to produce the language will probably lag behind quite a bit.

My goal is to complete WK moderately fast (2.5 years total), but not so fast that Iā€™m neglecting other areas of study, hence my slower pace. I never want SRS to become more than half of the time I spend studying each day. But I will be glad to be done with WK eventually, because thatā€™ll allow me to add more words to Anki instead (which will make reading easier, which will increase the amount of content input I get each day, whichā€™ll help me become fluent faster, etcā€¦).

Iā€™m not sure that this is really typical, though :sweat_smile:. I should mention that studying Japanese is one of my main hobbies right now (and my other main hobby is watching Japanese pro wrestling, which combines extremely well with language learning), so studying is quite literally what I do for fun in my spare time. Spending multiple hours a day studying is fun for me instead of being mentally draining.

4 Likes

I also spend more time learning japanese than just doing wanikani. I also try to read for about 2-3 hours every week. Regarding just wanikani: i so reviews about 4 time/day. Morning, at lunch, after dinner and before I go to bed. Iā€™d say reviewing takes 10-25 minutes each session, so I probably spend around 1-1.5 h on wanikani each day. To manage reviews I keep my apprentice pile below 85. My level-up time is about 17-18 days.

6 Likes

I had no idea, but turns out Iā€™ve been durtling very efficiently for a long time! Never had a real break, just took the long course.

6 Likes

If Iā€™ve got the time in my schedule, Iā€™ll do 10-15 minutes of WK before work, 10-15 minutes during lunch break, and 10-15 minutes after dinner. But usually Iā€™m lucky to get maybe 20 minutes on it a day, plus another 10-15 minutes on Duolingo every day.

However, Iā€™m two weeks into level 10 and am showing zero kanji ā€œlearnedā€ yet for this level, so this is a mighty slow pace. Itā€™s going to be another 3-4 week level, I think. Iā€™m on the 5 year WK plan, apparently! :grin:

4 Likes

This is a good place to note Iā€™ve moved onto the lifetime plan, my plan since I started researching wanikani a while ago was that if I was still doing it when the sale came around, I would commit to lifetime, given a speed run was never in my future. This way I can durtle at my own pace, for as long as that is still an enjoyable and helpful way to learn!

6 Likes

celebrating cool milestones: i saw on my heatmap today:
20k reviews bbyyy!!!
:durtle_noice:

5 Likes

Reached level 25! I also have a lifetime membership now!

This past level took me just twelve days. If I keep doing 12-13 day levels, I might have to lower my average a little more, haha. I donā€™t think Iā€™m ever going to get faster than that, though.

6 Likes

I just found this post and this is definitely my speed - I am averaging about 18 days per level right now. I am trying to do about 10 new lessons per day but sometimes itā€™s only 5, plus steadily keeping up with reviews. I am doing reviews about 3 times per day - they are mostly centered on my lunch hour at work right now which makes sense since that is when I have the most time to work on this. I should start seeing radicals from lesson 6 this weekend. I get really excited when I see words or kanji from WK ā€œin the wild.ā€ Also working my way through Genki 1 (finishing Lesson 2) and the Tadoku graded readers (just starting Level 0). As you can see, just a beginner here - but already feel like I have learned more here in 2 months than in a whole year of Japanese in college!

7 Likes

I love this moment :slight_smile: And the reverse of seeing something in the wild and then it pops up on WK.

Ex. me learning 介 and then running into the radical in my next lesson :laughing:

2 Likes

I made it to level 11 before the end of the year!! ::phew:: That took most of the monthā€¦ But a new level, a new year. :+1:

7 Likes

This might be the lowest lesson count I get to before some kanji start guru-ing so iā€™m marking the occasion lol. Down from like 190 lessons.

5 Likes

Made it to level 10! :partying_face:

Hoped to do it by the end of the year, but a week into the next one also works.
Final level of Pleasant!

New average level-up time 33 days. Good thing I got that lifetime sub.

8 Likes

Starting lessons again today. Iā€™ve been keeping up with reviews since I moved up to level ten, but taken a break from lessons. I had hoped to zero my apprentice pile, but however close I get there are always a few things I mess up from Guru and end up dropping down. Usually once I know a word I know the reading and vice versa, but I mix it up with something when I see it. It doesnā€™t seem to be the same stuff, just a rotation of different mix ups!

7 Likes

Level 26! Bit of a slower one for me, since it took 15 days. I kind of needed a little bit more time to get some other things done, though, so I donā€™t really mind :sweat_smile:. I also just started lesson 20 in Minna no Nihongo, and have been doing a bunch of reading, so Iā€™ve been pretty productive!

4 Likes

Hey, thatā€™s exactly my tempo! I donā€™t know why I didnā€™t spot this thread earlier. Seems like exactly my kind of approach.
Iā€™m doing 9 lessons daily and reviews once in the evening when I have the most time, keeping things slow but steady.

I think I found the optimal pace for me to go at, I like seeing apprentice numbers <70 or so:

Been picking up some pace on grammar finally (Cure Dolly), but I need to supplement this with some native material too, I believe. I can definitely relate to the awesome feeling of seeing, for example, kanji in song lyrics, and you suddenly can actually read them (to a degree at least :durtle_vin:).

Last but not least, I also like how my recent font randomization experiment is going:

The new void radical is easy to remember methinks.

7 Likes

This is the best!

I really enjoy the book clubs for this reason! The cadence I meet with mine helps ensure Iā€™m getting frequent, regular use of my reading skills. And coming across kanji in manga and then having it pop up in lessons is so good.

4 Likes

Hi!! I havenā€™t posted in a while but Iā€™ve been chugging along and recently made it to level 31. I think this might of been around the level I was last time I reset.

Iā€™m so glad to have finally found a system that I can comfortably stick to even when life gets overwhelming. It almost feels like Wanikani has become this passive habit I have in the background that I donā€™t have to really worry about.

But also thank god I bought a lifetime sub right out the gate. Haha. I can absolutely see myself chugging along at this rate until I hit level 60, but that wonā€™t be for a while. For me, that means around October 2023!

9 Likes

Count me in! There is no need to rush, after all, my Japanese will be with me for the rest of my life and burnout is not a joke.
Where should I sign up? :durtle:

7 Likes

Welcome, welcome! Enjoy the journey :rice_scene:

If you havenā€™t yet, feel free to add your name to the table in the second post. Itā€™s editable by anyone. Copy-paste from the row above and edit the details.

If you need any help, please reach out.

5 Likes

Thank you! I didnā€™t know about this second post.
Added myself and ready to rock. :durtle_noice:

5 Likes