:durtle_hello: Let's Durtle the Scenic Route šŸ¢

That is such a good point. I feel like the synonyms, especially, would be far less irritating if I knew more words. As it is, I have zero confidence that I could use most of them correctly in context.

Iā€™ve studied Japanese off and on for about 20 years, and visited 3 times, but my vocabulary was truly pathetic, and I always felt rather ashamed of my illiteracy. I canā€™t wait until I can go again-- itā€™s going to be so great to be able to read!!!

Also, Iā€™m going to bring a whole suitcase for books. I will save so much money on shipping ;).

3 Likes

shout out to my fellow recent-8 crew! :durtle_noice:

6 Likes

Thank you, I appreciate it!

1 Like

Just hit level 26! I had reset from 32 down to 20 after moving way too fast and I can definitely tell that the speed I have going right now is so much better for my retention. Iā€™m having an easier time differentiating between words that are similar. Like last levels vocab: åŠ¹åŠ›ćƒ»åŠ¹ēŽ‡ćƒ»åŠ¹ęžœ It still drives me crazy when these words are learned together but at least itā€™s more manageable. Gotta just keep chugging along!

10 Likes

Very good call have to say :slight_smile: . Sometimes itā€™s worth taking a step back. Hope the new pace works for you :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

11! Iā€™m out of pleasant and in to pain (no, I am not into pain though! :caught_durtling: )
Just turned level 11 and that got me up to 111 lessons :durtle_megane: (most of them lvl 11 items)

Level 10 took me 44 days.

4 Likes

congrats on leaving the Pleasants!! :tada:

what do you imagine the scenic views are like in Pain-land? lol

2 Likes

Level 18! Fifteen days this time, thanks to the large amount of vocab lessons this level. I started to get a little worried that I didnā€™t pace myself with the kanji lessons well enough and thought I was going to run out of vocab lessons, but it ended up working out alright.

Iā€™m also nearly done with lesson 12 of Minna no Nihongo, which puts me almost halfway through the first book (and a quarter of the way through the beginner series)! I have a couple longer review exercises left to do (plus my grammar notes) before I can move on, though.

And I finished reading the prologue and first chapter of å¤§ęµ·åŽŸćØå¤§ęµ·åŽŸ, which Iā€™m reading along with the absolute beginners book club! Iā€™m currently working through chapter two now. Itā€™s been an interesting book so far!

4 Likes

Durtling alongā€¦ eleven days into Level 7 and Iā€™ve only got 10 out of 30 kanji passed. But Iā€™m keeping my reviews closer to zero these days, so I figure itā€™s all good.

8 Likes

I just burned a level 9 item! At level 11! I am going waaay to slow! :caught_durtling:
Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 18.17.14

I wasnā€™t even level 9 yet 4 months ago, so it is impossible. It takes closer to 6 months at best :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
I think they moved it. :upside_down_face:
Still fun though :grin:

4 Likes

Yes, ā€œstarā€ was moved and new stars/planets added at higher levels. Surprising it affected the SRS timers, though.

Hope everyone is doing well on their journey :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The SRS gets frozen if it gets pushed to a level you havenā€™t reached yet. But I learned it at a lower level, and was probably past level 9 when they moved it, so I burned it at level 11. The SRS didnā€™t get affected, just looks like I passed it fast or stayed for half a year at level 10.
It should just be a ā€œyou burned another level 6 itemā€ (or so, not sure what level it was)
I have started burning level 6.

3 Likes

I am unusually slow even for this thread, but after 15 days since I cleared Level 7, yesterday I started doing level 8 lessons! Partly this is because I, and the rest of my family, have all been struck down by the same bug. I kept up with my reviews just about, but with an abominable accuracy rate (It took a surprisingly long time for that accuracy rate to recover as well.) On that basis I skipped lessons on a number of days. Healthy now, and ready to start pushing through new radicals Kanji and vocab!

4 Likes

205 days a at Lvl 6 and counts, whoā€™s more? ))
And yes, Iā€™m actually doing my WK reviews about daily. Itā€™s just not the priority across other (SRS) apps and RL stuff. So I do the new WK lessons when other stuff is done and I have a gap and desire to do.

6 Likes

Oh I have 754 days and 8 hour on one level :wink:
Iā€™m now down to around 42 days per level.

3 Likes

Reached level 11 just over a week ago and still havenā€™t touched the kanji. My apprentice count was down to 1 at some point, itā€™s now at 6. I think Iā€™ll do some lessons tomorrow for good measure.

4 Likes

Yeah, I did that too. Just a tad over a year on level 6, but whoā€™s really countingā€¦

3 Likes

Yeah! I found my squad! :smiley: After feeling somewhat stupid to always take about 3x times the time necessary to level up, because I just canā€™t remember the kanji readings and I donā€™t have the time to always do the reviews at the second (or hour :thinking:) they are due, I finally found people who also take a lot longer for each level^^

Slow and proud! :smiley:

7 Likes

Level 19! Thirteen days this time, not bad at all! Iā€™m excited to be almost a third of the way there :blush:. Iā€™m also officially one quarter of the way through the Minna no Nihongo beginner series (so, half of the way through the first book). Feels really good that Iā€™ve been able to stick with my studies so far.

7 Likes

Youā€™re probably a little more than a third of the way there as the last 10 levels are shorter :raised_hands:

2 Likes