:durtle_hello: Let's Durtle the Scenic Route 🐢

That is such a good point. I feel like the synonyms, especially, would be far less irritating if I knew more words. As it is, I have zero confidence that I could use most of them correctly in context.

I’ve studied Japanese off and on for about 20 years, and visited 3 times, but my vocabulary was truly pathetic, and I always felt rather ashamed of my illiteracy. I can’t wait until I can go again-- it’s going to be so great to be able to read!!!

Also, I’m going to bring a whole suitcase for books. I will save so much money on shipping ;).

3 Likes

shout out to my fellow recent-8 crew! :durtle_noice:

6 Likes

Thank you, I appreciate it!

1 Like

Just hit level 26! I had reset from 32 down to 20 after moving way too fast and I can definitely tell that the speed I have going right now is so much better for my retention. I’m having an easier time differentiating between words that are similar. Like last levels vocab: 効力・効率・効果 It still drives me crazy when these words are learned together but at least it’s more manageable. Gotta just keep chugging along!

10 Likes

Very good call have to say :slight_smile: . Sometimes it’s worth taking a step back. Hope the new pace works for you :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

11! I’m out of pleasant and in to pain (no, I am not into pain though! :caught_durtling: )
Just turned level 11 and that got me up to 111 lessons :durtle_megane: (most of them lvl 11 items)

Level 10 took me 44 days.

4 Likes

congrats on leaving the Pleasants!! :tada:

what do you imagine the scenic views are like in Pain-land? lol

2 Likes

Level 18! Fifteen days this time, thanks to the large amount of vocab lessons this level. I started to get a little worried that I didn’t pace myself with the kanji lessons well enough and thought I was going to run out of vocab lessons, but it ended up working out alright.

I’m also nearly done with lesson 12 of Minna no Nihongo, which puts me almost halfway through the first book (and a quarter of the way through the beginner series)! I have a couple longer review exercises left to do (plus my grammar notes) before I can move on, though.

And I finished reading the prologue and first chapter of 大海原と大海原, which I’m reading along with the absolute beginners book club! I’m currently working through chapter two now. It’s been an interesting book so far!

4 Likes

Durtling along… eleven days into Level 7 and I’ve only got 10 out of 30 kanji passed. But I’m keeping my reviews closer to zero these days, so I figure it’s all good.

8 Likes

I just burned a level 9 item! At level 11! I am going waaay to slow! :caught_durtling:
Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 18.17.14

I wasn’t even level 9 yet 4 months ago, so it is impossible. It takes closer to 6 months at best :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
I think they moved it. :upside_down_face:
Still fun though :grin:

4 Likes

Yes, “star” was moved and new stars/planets added at higher levels. Surprising it affected the SRS timers, though.

Hope everyone is doing well on their journey :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The SRS gets frozen if it gets pushed to a level you haven’t reached yet. But I learned it at a lower level, and was probably past level 9 when they moved it, so I burned it at level 11. The SRS didn’t get affected, just looks like I passed it fast or stayed for half a year at level 10.
It should just be a “you burned another level 6 item” (or so, not sure what level it was)
I have started burning level 6.

3 Likes

I am unusually slow even for this thread, but after 15 days since I cleared Level 7, yesterday I started doing level 8 lessons! Partly this is because I, and the rest of my family, have all been struck down by the same bug. I kept up with my reviews just about, but with an abominable accuracy rate (It took a surprisingly long time for that accuracy rate to recover as well.) On that basis I skipped lessons on a number of days. Healthy now, and ready to start pushing through new radicals Kanji and vocab!

4 Likes

205 days a at Lvl 6 and counts, who’s more? ))
And yes, I’m actually doing my WK reviews about daily. It’s just not the priority across other (SRS) apps and RL stuff. So I do the new WK lessons when other stuff is done and I have a gap and desire to do.

6 Likes

Oh I have 754 days and 8 hour on one level :wink:
I’m now down to around 42 days per level.

3 Likes

Reached level 11 just over a week ago and still haven’t touched the kanji. My apprentice count was down to 1 at some point, it’s now at 6. I think I’ll do some lessons tomorrow for good measure.

4 Likes

Yeah, I did that too. Just a tad over a year on level 6, but who’s really counting…

3 Likes

Yeah! I found my squad! :smiley: After feeling somewhat stupid to always take about 3x times the time necessary to level up, because I just can’t remember the kanji readings and I don’t have the time to always do the reviews at the second (or hour :thinking:) they are due, I finally found people who also take a lot longer for each level^^

Slow and proud! :smiley:

7 Likes

Level 19! Thirteen days this time, not bad at all! I’m excited to be almost a third of the way there :blush:. I’m also officially one quarter of the way through the Minna no Nihongo beginner series (so, half of the way through the first book). Feels really good that I’ve been able to stick with my studies so far.

7 Likes

You’re probably a little more than a third of the way there as the last 10 levels are shorter :raised_hands:

2 Likes