Let’s read NHK Regular Articles

I’d like to claim sentence 5.

特に九州や四国では30日昼ごろにかけて: specifically, in Kyuushuu and Shikoku for around the 30th afternoon,

東海では30日夜から1日にかけて: From the 30th night til the 1st, from the eastern sea

局地的に1時間に50ミリ以上の非常に激しい雨が降って: locally, for one hour, more than 50 mm of very intense rain will fall

大雨になるおそれがあります: the threat of heavy rain is there.

In summary: Specifically, in Kyuushuu and Shikoku, from the eastern sea, from the 30th night til the 1st, with localized rainfall of more than 50 mm/hour, heavy rain will fall.

Edit: didn’t realize this was from the 29th. Changed tenses to be future instead of past.

1 Like

③ 気象庁によりますと、前線が九州を通って日本の南へ延び、前線上の低気圧が1日にかけて日本海へ進む見込みです。

So “according to” in polite ~ます form then.

I wasn’t sure what a weather front ( 前線 ) was so I looked it up:

A weather front is a transition zone between two different air masses at the Earth’s surface. Each air mass has unique temperature and humidity characteristics.

It doesn’t really tells me much more about what it is but it’s a bit more precise.

前線が九州を通って日本の南へ延び

前線『が』is the subject of that sentence.
九州『を』is usually the direct object although here it’s different. More specifically:
ⓒ indicates an area traversed
(I believe).

Summary

日本『の』南 means the “south of Japan”.
通って: Is the ~て form of 通る.
I think it’s probably the following meaning in order to be in synch with を:

ⓐ to go by, to go past, to go along, to travel along, to pass through, to use (a road), to take (a route), to go via, to go by way of

『へ』is a particle which indicates a destination followed by 延び. What I don’t understand is how 延び works interaction with へ here since it’s a noun and not a verb. I’m used to an active movement verb being used with 『へ』.

③ 気象庁によりますと、前線が九州を通って日本の南へ延び、前線上の低気圧が1日にかけて日本海へ進む見込みです。

I don’t really understand everything which is written but I think it says something along the lines of…
:speech_balloon: “According to the M. Agency, something about Kyushu and the south of Japan, the low atmospheric pressure of the weather front, over a period of time (one day) the Japanese sea might advance”

I don’t really get how へ is meant to be used without a verb but it’ll likely cinch in later on.

@angeltears & @nclbk: thanks for participating! I wish I knew enough Japanese to give you feedback! Maybe another more experienced member will.

⑦ 気象庁は、土砂災害や低い土地の浸水、川の増水に警戒するとともに、落雷や竜巻などの激しい突風にも注意するよう呼びかけています。

気象庁: JMA; + 『は』topic;
土砂災害: landslide, disaster; + 『や』non-exhaustive list;
低い: low, ~い adj;
浸水: inundation;
とともに: together with;
落雷: lightning strike + 『や』non-exhaustive list;
竜巻: tornado + 『など』
激しい: violent, ~い adjective;
突風: gust of wind;
注意+する: to be cautious;
呼びかけています: to call out to;

:person_raising_hand:t4: I’ve asked about the similarity of など/や.

In:

落雷や竜巻など

Could I change the positions of や and など and keep the meaning intact?

延び is a verb in this case. It’s the 中止形 of 延びる, it basically has the same meaning as the て-form just a bit more formal. Maybe this clears up your confusion?

You can’t switch them around, if that’s what you’re asking, since など always comes at the end of the list. But you could do 落雷、竜巻など.
I would say normally you can remove the など, but in this case since you’re connecting with の, I think the など is necessary to clarify that the の is not possessive in this case? I don’t know how to properly describe this, but if I saw 落雷や竜巻の激しい突風 it sounds possessive, but with などの it sounds like a list of examples for 激しい突風.

1 Like

Oh wow ok, I had absolutely no clue! For those who are interested, a quote from the linked article:

Instead of using the particle て, there is also a method called the 連用中止形. This is when you use the 連用形 but attach nothing to it, and in doing so, it functions like the particle て. This was in fact the original way. However, no two methods in Japanese evolve without differences emerging as well.

③ 前線が九州を通って日本の南へ延び

So in that case it means it is stretching/growing in the direction of the south of Japan. It is traversing Kyushu and growing in the south of Japan.

⑦ 気象庁は、土砂災害や低い土地の浸水、川の増水に警戒するとともに、落雷や竜巻などの激しい突風にも注意するよう呼びかけています。

:speech_balloon: “The JMA is calling out to be careful about landslides, inundations, the rising water of rivers, lighting strike, tornadoes, and violent gusts of wind”

I think the よう here is again the grammatical point below:

⑧ 西日本では30日朝にかけての暗い時間帯に、雨が激しくなるおそれがあります。

西日本『では』: West of Japan; 『place of action + topic』;
30日朝にかけて『の』: over a period of 30 days
☆📝I looked up 「日朝」but it’s either a last name or “Japan and North Korea” which I don’t think would make sense here.

暗い時間帯に: dark period of time;

:speech_balloon: “Over a period of 30 days, it’ll be a dark time for Japan as the rain is likely to intensify”

:person_raising_hand:t4: What is 日朝 in this context?

I would say it’s 30日、朝にかけての暗い時間帯 “during the dark time period the morning of the 30th

1 Like
Just sticking my head in to say "hi"!

Hi, @Zizka ! Glad to see you and @Naphthalene and the gang are still at it! I apparently jumped off the deep end with the “Kiki’s Delivery Service” book club (not drowning completely, but not catching all of the interpretive meanings) It’s a full page every day!!

But my daughter is also reading Kiki’s! While I’m in Chicago and she is in Japan; we meet on discord once a week and she heavily criticizes my attempts as I try to read aloud some passage that I am supposedly familiar with because I had “translated” it. I also have the audiobook, but they speak so fast, I can’t “mimic” it at speed (or inflection BWA HA ha!). But my listening comprehension is glacially slowly advancing! As is my speaking.

You know me… heavily relying on Google translate while applying tips and tricks I’d learned from you and @YanagiPablo @Jonapedia and @ayamedori. STILL SUCH A BEGINNER! sigh. I will be back to “interpret” with you at some point. I’ve still got waaaay too much “actual work” to do and trying to keep up with my reviews at this point.

3 Likes

@Shannon-8:

Alas from what I can tell, ayamadori and yanagipablo have gone MIA.

Good to hear from you. I saw you were still active on Duo Lingo forums so I figured you’d drop by eventually. You’re always welcome here anyways.

⑨ 今後の気象情報や自治体が発表する避難の情報に注意してください。

今後: from now on;
気象情報や: weather information;
自治体: municipality, local government;
発表+する: make an announcement;
避難: finding shelter;
情報: information;
注意してくだちい: pay attention;

:speech_balloon: “From now on pay attention to weather information announcement by the local government regarding shelter information”

:person_raising_hand:t4: Another question about 『や』. I honestly don’t see what it adds to the sentence, it reminds me of teenagers saying “like” every two words. What would be part of a non-exhaustive list when it comes to the weather information? I mean, suppose I was listing what I bring for a trip, 『や』would make sense to explain that I bring other things than what I’ve listed.

Is it to be accurate in saying that the local government will also be making announcements about other things despite weather information? It seems self-evident to me so I’m trying to determine when 『や』is necessary in the context mentioned above.

1 Like

I hope you don’t mind me answering again.
や is simply less definitive in what sources of information you should pay attention to.
It’s not about these two sources mentioned announcing other things as well; it’s that there might be other news sources (apart from 気象情報 and 自治体の情報) with relevant information regarding evacuation, the weather etc. They don’t want to say “ONLY listen to these two possible sources”, but that there might be others as well.

3 Likes

Still here, just busy! Normal service will resume shortly :sunglasses:

3 Likes

@Myria: I’m really appreciative of your contributions, feel free to reply as much as you want.

⑥ ⓐ 30日夕方までの24時間に降る雨の量は、ⓑいずれも多いところで、四国で300ミリ、九州で200ミリ、近畿で150ミリ、東海と中国地方で120ミリ、関東甲信で100ミリと予想され、その後、1日夕方までの24時間に東海で200ミリから300ミリ、近畿で100ミリから200ミリ、関東甲信で100ミリから150ミリの雨が降ると予想されています。

:memo: Vocabulary:
日夕: day and night, nightfall;
方: might be used as a comparison;
まで: until;
24時間『に』: 24 hours+Time indicator;
量: quantity;

:speech_balloon: “The first part is about the quantity of fallen rain over 24 hours maybe over a period of 30 days. I’m not sure about the time period however. Maybe it’s in comparison of a period of 30 days for precipitation”

ⓑいずれも多いところ『で』
:memo: Vocabulary:

いずれも: any, all;
多い: many;
ところ: area;

:thought_balloon: I think this is to indicate precipitation in all areas of Japan as a list comes next. The rest of the sentence is essentially of the precipitation per area.

Would someone like to pick the next article?

You parsed this wrong. Need to start from the 30.

1 Like

My previous interpretation was:

:speech_balloon: “The first part is about the quantity of fallen rain over 24 hours maybe over a period of 30 days. I’m not sure about the time period however. Maybe it’s in comparison of a period of 30 days for precipitation”

So you are saying this is incorrect if I understand correctly. Ok, let’s try again:

ⓐ 30日夕方までの24時間に降る雨の量は

:thought_balloon: So I think here 量【りょう】is the topic of the sentence and what precedes it is attributive. More specifically, the amount of fallen water as indicated by 降る雨『の』.

If we keep backtracking, we find out that it’s not just “the amount of fallen water” (precipitation) but precipitation over a period of time as indicated by the 『に』there.

:bulb: Oh, I get it! We are comparing the precipitation of the last 24 hours (24時間) to the 30 days until now, is that it?

I’m fuzzy about 日夕. Should I interpret it as “day and night”?

It’s 30日 (remember when this article was written) and 夕方

2 Likes

The article was written on the 29th of June, which is a day before the 30th mentioned here. Perhaps this is a forecast of some kind then.

夕方: ゆうがた: dusk;

Is it the precipitation forecast for 24 hours until the dusk of the 30th?

1 Like

I was thinking about this article about Biden for the next article unless you have something to suggest.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20200701/k10012490881000.html?utm_int=word_contents_list-items_005&word_result=米黒人男性死亡

1 Like