Learning Kanji outside of WK?

Just wondering if anyone here does extra kanji study outside of WK. I was considering adding extra words to learn while I am studying grammar, Like much more difficult to learn but very basic English meaning kanji.

I actually am doing it on tanoshiijapanese but I like the WK ways better. Anyway, since I’ll have to upgrade and all, and I can’t so I’ll have to rely on tanoshii and the reviews here. :slight_smile:

Get into higher levels and I have to move things around to make room for WK alone, let alone for extra kanji learning. Not to mentioning studying the rest of Japanese

To me, this is suitable enough to supplement the rest of your learning like Grammar, reading, listening and just USING.

i just add any new words i come across into an anki file…harder part is remembering to do the anki practice…

Extra words I’ll add if they end up frequent enough in whatever I’m looking at, but I avoid adding extra kanji and never add them when they’re in WK (jisho will point out the level). There are a lot of words/useful kanji that won’t appear in WK depending on your situation, so there’s no harm in adding more if you have the time/energy to handle it. I just don’t think there’s a point in really stressing it if you’re probably going to learn the words organically (via repeated lookup, workbook, ect) or sometime down the road on WK.

Ultimately you’re probably here because you want to learn Japanese, so if doing extra study is conducive to that go on ahead. If you’re just looking to add stuff because your grammar resources (genki, tae kim, ect) use a lot of kanji you don’t know specifically I’d advise you look into ways to accelerate your WK pace effectively. It’s advised in one of the faqs/guides to start grammar around level 5 if you haven’t already, but I noticed between 7 and 9 was where I hit a turning point and could comfortably dive into tae kim’s guide without freaking out over kanji lookups.

TL;DR - Do what works best for you.

You can learn vocab with not-yet-learned kanji outside WaniKani. Don’t care too much about levels. (How else would you learn 俺、僕、嘘、叶う、噂、匂い anyway?)

But for more in-depth information on Kanji, I still rely on WaniKani. (Because WK takes up all my time).

If you are talking about JLPT, WaniKani has already covered all Kanji up to N2 (if you managed to get to Level 51).

俺 and 僕 are in level 44.

I find just doing a bunch of reading to be helpful. You’re going to encounter kanji you don’t know anyway, and then by the time you encounter it during wanikani, at least you’ll have some context and won’t be running into it blind. It also helps reinforce whatever kanji and vocab you’ve learnt using wanikani, so it’s really great IMHO.

Your kanji retention will improve when you get a better sense of radicals.

For example, all I need to know is how 嘘 and the kanji for empty (虚) differ. Lie has the mouth kanji, just find a way to associate an empty mouth with a lie and you’ll remember it as well as you do the rest of the kanji here

I’m only using WK for kanji study.

There’s too much else to work on and too little time to place such an emphasis on kanji. For example, I practice reading, speaking, listening and grammar. Sure, if a kanji comes up in the wild that I haven’t yet gotten to on WK, I guess you could count that as studying kanji outside of WK. But since I’m in the 30s, I don’t come across too much, and the ones I do come across I’ve likely already seen in the past.

Also, when I look up a word, I usually do it on jisho.com. There I can see what level (if any) the vocabulary will come up in WK. If I see it will eventually come around, I don’t bother with it too much.

1 Like

Balancing WK and other kanji studies is pretty hard. I don’t know how to do it, so I mainly… don’t. I hate Anki, so trying to incorporate it to my studies to fill the gaps doesn’t really work for me.

This is what happened when I joined semi-private Japanese classes and the teacher started giving us kanji homework:

1 Like

i dont study kanji outside of wk but i do pick stuff up in my studies especially if it comes up a lot

I think there’s nothing compared to WK, but for those who already know some kanjis there is JapaneseClass.jp page.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.