Katakana words that are a pain in the butt

Anyone else have katakana words that you feel are just a pain in the butt?

Like, for me I hated アレルギー for so long because I kept saying アレギー instead when I thought about what “allergy” should sound like in katakana to me.

Or the one that’s been getting me recently is コストコ because to me it sounds almost exactly the same as it does in English, but when I accidentally say “Costco” instead and everyone gives me blank stares, I have to backtrack and add all the extra vowels in, which is fine except for the fact that I have to overemphasize the vowels for me to say it correctly, which makes me feel like I’m making fun of them for not understanding even though I’m not.

マクドナルド is also a super hard one for me since I have to think about it really hard to say it correctly and always end up taking a ridiculously long time to get through the world lol.

2 Likes

Just say マック then. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Depending on where you live, don’t most people abbreviate it anyway? Here in Kansai, people say マクド, and I believe in Kantou, マック is common.

3 Likes

I really don’t like スケジュール. I always feel like it should be スケージュル.

3 Likes

WHY DID I NEVER REALIZE THIS

1 Like

What’s really disturbing about McDonald’s in Japan is that Ronald McDonald is called ドナルド・マクドナルド

Bizarre.

17 Likes

I know it’s not about Japanese, but this happens in other languages as well.

Recently, I was at a random bar in the United States. (I’m Mexican)
And two of the beers were in Spanish.

So, I just said, “I’ll have a Tiniebla (this part without any accent, as we would say it).”
And the guy was like. :thinking: “El técnico?” (The other one)
Even though they don’t sound anything alike.

And I was like, :weary: “Tiniebla.” And he went, “Oh, Tiniebla!”

I don’t know, mostly posted this to say that it happens a lot and with different languages, so don’t think too much about it.

It’s obvious you know how to pronounce it, but it’s a different word (or different way to say it) for them.

7 Likes

Don’t let Trump see you!

8 Likes

:joy: I try not to, on principle.

16 Likes

Last night I mentioned the word デジタル and also talked about “digital” in English, and my girlfriend was shocked that the pronunciation in English was different. She had totally expected it to sound basically the same.

8 Likes

This reminds me of when sports announcers see foreign player names and just make stuff up. Not like using the wrong ‘a’ sound (which would make sense since they don’t know the language), but things like replacing an ‘a’ with an ‘e’ for no reason.

3 Likes

For me it would have to be ランチ. I can’t wrap my head around it meaning ‘lunch’. When I read it, I wonder why the people are talking about eating ranch dressing. (I realize it can also mean ranch).

5 Likes

I really just cannot wrap my head (or tongue) around パソコン I get the neither PC or Personal Computer roll of a Japanese speaking tongue easily, but パソコン is just as bad for me.

(Sorry I didn’t mean to reply directly to seanblue)

1 Like

The is also コップ vs カップ. I still have some confusion of what is what, but the latest version is:

コップ

カップ

Reason: コップ was first imported into Japan, I think it was from the Dutch and should be kop. At the time they didn’t do handles. (Apparently the Dutch use the word for either of the above vessels.)

Later Japan imported cup from English as カップ strictly for vessels with handle, which doesn’t happen in the word cup itself.

8 Likes

Good ole Don McDon

1 Like

all of them?

(ETA: for real, the way i remember the pronunciation of 悲しむ is that kataKANA makes me sad. :drooling_face:)

3 Likes

My top 10 leeches on the Katakana vocab deck on Kitsun (2342 words learned so far). That ゲレンデ makes me cry.

1 Like

We do not. ^^

The top one is “glas” and I’ve personally never heard anyone refer to it otherwise. The bottom is “kop en schotel” - cup and saucer.

3 Likes

Sorry, my Dutch knowledge come from Japanese TV :slight_smile:

How about anything without a handle?

2 Likes

This one is usually the diminutive kopje (edit: or kop en schotel :wink: ) , but basically the same word. To add to the confusion, コップ can also be a mug, like so:896776701
So the ones that don’t use a saucer.

This one you can also call a グラス, but NOT a ガラス because that is the kind of glass that sits in your windowpane.

3 Likes