Kanji readings similar to your language [Curse words too]

As for the thread at hand… To remember that 出す (だす) means “to remove” I just think about the Norwegian slang word for toilet, which is “dass”. I imagine myself removing literally every problem of my life by flushing it down the toilet.

I memorised it by the “Das Boot” association. Not as good as toilet though.

1 Like

Yep, I agree. I doubt “cha” is Portuguese.

I quick search in the Internet told me that “cha” resembles “to catch/to collect” in Mandarin. Not sure if that’s true. The Portuguese were the ones bringing the tea plant to Europe… So basically we got it from Chinese origins… but the Dutch and the British later started bringing some also and got the “te” sound from Malayan origins.

1 Like

From what I read it came from the southern areas (Cantonese and such). Which would make sense, given that that’s where Portugal had the most activity.

Mandarin wasn’t lingua franca back then if I recall correctly.

2 Likes

The Brazilian accent is probably a little stronger but I mean… It’s really easy to pronounce Japanese, isn’t it?!

The only sound in Japanese that is a littlllleeee different from the Portuguese one is the /r/ sound… but even then, it’s more similar than the /r/ English version ^^

Não era eu :stuck_out_tongue:

Omg, that guy xD Japan has a lot of people with Brazilian origins actually ^^ A lot of people on HelloTalk (language exchange app) want to learn Brazilian Portuguese because of that :frowning: And I be like: “Eae cara! Tudo blz?”

“Sacana” is a very common word in the European Portuguese so I had no problem :stuck_out_tongue: Also, べや (room) reminds me of “velha” (old) :rofl:

Isso! Por isso escrevi em Inglês :stuck_out_tongue: Dava má impressão começarmos falando Português do nada ^^

1 Like

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_Japanese_words_of_Portuguese_origin

3 Likes

English replaced a lot of your words :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

選者 and Polish word “sędzia” shares the meaning and they are both pronounced in a similar way.

I know also that one Polish word namely “śliwki” (meaning “plums”) sounds very amusing to Japanese people. If you utter this word, Japanese would hear something like “shirifuki”- 尻 (shiri) meaning “butt” and “fuki” resembles the Japanese verb 拭く(fuku) meaning “to wipe”. So if you put these two together, the outcome is pretty hilarious.

1 Like

The 茶 or the 魚 one? Neither are on that list :stuck_out_tongue:

I have yet to watch the movie Silence:

“In the 17th century, two Portuguese Jesuit priests travel to Japan in an attempt to locate their mentor, who is rumored to have committed apostasy, and to propagate Catholicism.”

I don’t know why but I think I’ll get pretty mad if I watch it. I kinda am very proud of Portuguese History (I also know about the bad stuff, don’t worry).

1 Like

Omggg, I can’t believe we invented karuta lol (excuse us Chihaya, but we da queens n kings)

2 Likes

By the way my favorite is tempura, which is so old it’s written Ateji-style.

2 Likes

I’m not Italian, but 女「おんな」is also quite similar to “donna”, the Italian for woman.

1 Like

Off topic, but I’m Polish-American and this is where my family immigrated from in the 1800s (iirc since it’s been a long while since I looked into it). I wasn’t really raised to know anything about being Polish. The most exposure I’ve ever had to it was my great uncle putting Pole-Lock on the boom(?) of his wrecker as a joke.
We (my part of the family) Americanized our last name to change the -czyk to -cek. But even then, I had a fun time learning how to spell my own name as a kid and I’ve had an even funner time trying to explain to people how to pronounce it throughout my life.

2 Likes

Learning 失態 (しったい) = error, blunder was a little weird for me. The reading is shit-tai, and tai is shit in Indonesian, so…double shit. That was easy to remember :sweat_smile:

管 (くだ ) = pipe, kuda in Indonesian is horse, so I imagine a horse getting stuck in a pipe ._.

The ‘kuda’ reading helped me in learning 果物 (くだもの ) too, I just imagined a horse eating fruits :slight_smile:

Every now and then my self-created mnemonic involves Indonesian rather than English (both are first languages for me) because the phonetics of Japanese is closer to Indonesian than English :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m not Finnish, but リス (squirrel) means stick in Finnish.

1 Like

Finish you mean one of these?

1 Like

Чёрт, про Казань от меня ускользнуло.) You nailed it.

1 Like

Wash my dishes. (ò_óˇ)

1 Like

One that always makes me laugh. From Latin American Spanish

父 - chichi - a “vulgar” way to say boob
(Fun thing, this is the pronunciation of Goku’s wife as well, and they did change the name in the Latin American Spanish Dragon Ball version to Milk :smile: )

3 Likes

Alternatives for anyone interested:
The 1966 Novel: Silence by Shūsaku Endō
The 1971 Film: Silence by Masahiro Shinoda

1 Like

Haha, now that you mentioned that kanji… ちち (chichi) can reference pee in Portuguese lol
That’d pretty useful, because I picture the kanji being the body of the said father, the x being the legs and, the two risks above, his arms. So, it’s as if his legs were crossed, something people do when they are in urge to pee

1 Like