女 = Woman in polish (Ona) with 1 n
冬 = “Huju” means calling someone a dick in polish
虫 = “Mushi” means the female va-china as i could call it in German
足 = “そく” means Juice in polish
玉 - “Tama” means “floodgate,Dam” in Polish
固有 - “Koyuu” is simillar to the Turkish word for Village Koj
書か - “Kaka” Means poo in German

Community sent kanji’s:
茶 - “Cha” throughout spoken a bit differently it means tea in Portuguese,Czech,Slovak,Turkish - Matsunaga
空 - “Sora” spoken with a long s means Quarrel in russian - Yabashiri
魚 - “Sakana” in Portugese “Sacana” means a bastard in a bit less insulting way - jprspereira
火山 - “Kazan” is a city and also a type of grying pan in Russian. - eydemidov
頭 - “Atama” is close a high ranking Cossack title “ataman” (head) both in meaning and in reading, so it’s useful. -
eydemidov
八 - “hachi” (Eight) is a plural racial slur for Caucasians and Central Asians in Russian. - @eydemidov
山 - “yama” Means pit in Polish/Russian. - eydemidov
口 - “Kuchi” is Piles in Russian - eydemidov
大きさ - “Ookisa” sounds like diminutive “oh, kitty” in Russian - eydemidov
玉 - “Tama” means over there in Russian - eydemidov
柄 - “Tsuka” Sounds like Suka and “tsuki” which means plural form of it Russian and Polish - eydemidov
書か - "Kaka"Sounds like poo in russian - eydemidov
出す - “Dasu” is similar to the Norwegian slang word “Toilet” dass - Memoria
選者 - “せんじゃ” means Judge in Polish - HiatusxHiatus
尻 - “shirifuki” sounds like “Śliwki” in Polish meaning “butt” and “fuki” means to wipe - HiatusxHiatus
女 - “Onna” is similar to the Italian word “donna” meaning woman.
失態 - “じったい” sounds like shit-tai and tai is poo in Indonesian so… it means double shit - hellistic
リス - “Risu” means squirrel in Finnish - netpapa
父 - “Chichi” means a vulgar way to say boob “Vulgar way” in Latin American Spanish - Bassmind
答え - “Kotae” the tae part means poop in the Philippines - akirayonsanrokku
間で - “Made” means maggot in German - Heiopei
六つ - “Rokutsu” can sound like the word for cap if you have some imagination - Heiopei

it helps to memorize the meaning of the kanji really much as some of them are curse words and its so depressing and funny at the same time that you will remember it after reading it just once!!

any others funny translations to your native language?[/spoiler]

@Updated 7/8/17

7 Likes

I see greatness in this thread,

3 Likes

Oh, considering the kanji I’ve seen so far, the only one I can think of is 茶 (tea), of which reading is ちゃ (cha). In my native language, Portuguese, tea is called chá. xD
The pronounce is different, chá is more similar to しゃ (sha), but the writing is exactly the same. It was pretty funny to read a mnemonic for that one, since I literally had to write the meaning to get it right.

1 Like

Well Polish language is kinda weird so we have a lot of simillar words from all over the world as its not a Latin language neithier an Asian one but kinda slavic language meaning indo-european languages which means that it has a lot of imported words and some even from Chinese etc but really rarely like we got “Czaj” but we call it “Herbata” which makes no sense at all as Herba has nothing to do with our tea which we drink :smiley:

also i like the month system in japanese a lot because it makes sense as they say the sixth month and not october etc … i really like this system as its simple and removes a lot of confusion when learning the months… till this day i forget 2/4 of the months in English even my own language but remember them perfectly in German which sis not my native language ;x

Haha, I’m glad you put it like that, because when I think of Polish, I group it with the “weird languages” from Nordic countries and Germany, which have lots of consonant put together, but the pronounce definitely doesn’t match what’s written. Not sure how much of that is true though, since I’ve never got to research lol
Wait, with Herba, you mean herbs? You don’t drink herbal tea? DUDE, I WASN’T EVEN SURE THAT THAT’S REALLY A THING, teas without herbs
Oh… I’m not sure how I feel about it. I’m certain I’ve got relieved when I learned it was like that because “phew”, one less thing to think about, since it’s all pretty obvious. The vocab is barely needed (so much that the system doesn’t even make you remember all the months), since you can get it by getting the kanji separately. But, still, I think the names of the months are just beautiful… October mainly (was I born in october? Nooo~) I get from where you’re coming from though, haha. To this day, I hear people asking “is June the 5th or the 6th? July the 6th or the 7th? After August, comes what?”

1 Like

Well to be honest Polish is a really freaky language as we got words which cannot be pronounced from the average Latin language speaker like “Grzegorz” or “Chrzaszcz” see this madness? SZCZ RZ put together
we got a tongue twister which is kinda ridiculous but easy to say for a polish speaker but for foreigners its like a nightmare
try to pronounce that “W Szczebrzeszynie chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie i Szczebrzeszyn z tego słynie”

Also Polish is just insanely hard to learn as its in the Category IV on the Language Difficulty Ranking and you need about 1100 hours+ hours to learn it, its in the same hardness category as “Thai,Zulu,Hindi,Vietnamese,Lao,Persian” to just compare it to other European languages as example Italian/French is in the category I and you need 575-600 hours to learn it :slight_smile:

also herbata comes from Latin “herba thea”

Also we are one of these countries which respect our own culture and are really nationalist which Europe as a whole doesn’t understand, as Europe wants to unite all the nations and our own nature tells us to close our borders keep our Cultures as a sign to respect to our elders and most important to improve safety.

also to make things more confusing we got other dialects which are really weird as example Sillesian which uses some weird words and grammar which is unique and makes no sense (I’m silesian"

The Polish language is a Lechitic language, originating from the Indo-European language family. Lechitic, also spelled Lekhitic, languages also include Pomeranian, Silesian and Polabian.
There are four eras to the Polish language; Old Polish, Middle Polish, New Polish and Modern Polish.

1 Like

loool I thought it’d be rude to keep that mindset of “damn Polish is weird” but there you are, a native speaker x’DD
I wish I could record what I pronounced, I don’t know why but I added a Portuguese accent to it (I’m Brazilian, so it’s different), it just sounded like I was trying to make up some language lol
Dude, you sure know your language haha I’ve heard mine is pretty hard to learn because of all the verb tenses and stuff, but… As for me, I don’t even have the brain to calculate how much 1100 hours would be lol
Hm, Google Translate didn’t help with that. Herba translated to grass, which is how I’ve understood it since the beginning, but thea doesn’t mean anything in Latim, according to it. I was actually wonder about the thing you said about “herba” not having anything to do with the tea you drink there? I mean, is it not water and herbs? lol
Jesus Christ, you’ve lost me there, haha. I don’t even know what the indo preffix stands for
You seem enthusiastic xD Are you perhaps majoring in Linguistics or something?

1 Like

Well i am Silesian so it’s between poland czech and germany so yeah i know polish and german pretty well aswell as English but i find other languages such as French,Spanish boring because it’s too easy, someday i want to learn Chinese Korean and Japanese and perhaps if my IT studies won’t go as planned to transfer myself to Linguistics section but no i am not majoring Linguistics but i really like history and the old languages, caligraphy is one of my hobbies not the modern Latin one but the asian one :wink:

in next 10-13 years (Im 17) i plan to learn Japanese, Chinese, Korean,Russian
i a actually speak: Polish,German,English but i think its not a lot and i find German so boring that when i hear about it’s grammar i am about to throw up, but when i hear about Japanese one and the characters and stories leading to hundreds of years behind back to Chinese dynasty era its like heaven for me :slight_smile:

My parents don’t trust me because when i said that i like in Asians that strong “Nationalism” and i like the chinese communism system from the observer perspective i find it really interessting and amazing at the same time, now my parents think i am a filthy communist xDD and don’t trust a single thing i say sometimes :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

Well, native Russian here. I’ve never really seen any words similar to ours, except for the ‘tea’ mentioned above. The only other I can think of is 空 (そら) which means quarrel in Russian, but is pronounced with a long s. I always study Japanese using WaniKani and other English websites, so I’m used to think of how Japanese ties to English, not to my first language :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well that’s interesting as i thought that my language is not the only one which has similar words to Japanese ;d

That’s nice ^^ (Except what you said about German, lol, you meanie)
lol I don’t know how deep you’re into that nationalism stuff, but I think I can understand a bit. I like the way they “value their roots”, probably because I’ve never felt like I have something like that
I kinda think Japanese is sort of a “narrow” language, because it depends too much on the context, and the sounds are very limited as well, but some kanjis are beautiful. I wonder how I’d feel about Chinese (maybe one day)

1 Like

Well no offense to german but i think this language has a lot of stress in it, there is no “Non-formal” form which is really chilly, overall i am not a mean person rather called sweet and lovely but if i get upset i can basically insult a person without using even 1 mean word or curse…

But i like as example Swedish for its deep roots and that amazing Nordic “R” letter like VAR etc…
if you ask a German what nationalism is then first what comes to his mind is WW2 Germany, but in reality its nothing bad, Japan is a proud nationalist nation too, maybe not as much as China but still a little bit :slight_smile:

I think that Nationalism is not a really bad thing if done correctly, it can have a brutal and selfish form but mostly its just a form of trying to keep your roots, for me Germany lost their roots when WW2 began before it had its own traditions which were so nice :frowning:

Dude, me too, as a matter of fact! I went to check my kanjis and see if there was something else that could be read as a word from my language and there were some I hadn’t even thought of correlating like that. I only resort to my mother tongue if a word from it pops out at the exact moment I read the kanji, I guess. If not, then English it is, since that’s the language through which I am learning everything else anyway.

2 Likes

Oi parceiro! :stuck_out_tongue: Português aqui o/
(Hey buddy! Portuguese here o/)

OMG, I didn’t know about 茶 yet! xD Portuguese does have some influence in the Japanese language. I’ve heard that the Portuguese were the ones helping implementing that little circle on sounds like ぱ ぴ ぷ ぺ ぽ o/

Another one that I remember is 魚. It reads “sakana”. We have a word with a very similar pronounciation: sacana. It’s like bastard but in a bit less insulting way. It’s still a bad word… kinda xD I don’t think the Brazilian Portuguese uses the sacana word though.

EDIT: I knew about the word おちゃ without the Kanji. I didn’t make the connection xD

1 Like

Hey now, the way words are pronounced in the Nordic languages (maybe except for Danish) are a lot closer to how they’re written than in English! With their crazy vowels that have wildly different pronunciations depending on what letters they’re combined with… Tssk. :stuck_out_tongue:
Actually, Norwegian pronunciations are very close to Japanese ones, which makes it very easy to learn how to pronounce letters in Japanese.

3 Likes

Well Polish language is kinda weird so we have a lot of simillar words from all over the world as its not a Latin language neithier an Asian one but kinda slavic language

“kinda Slavic language” is a rather weird way to describe it. Slavic language is Slavic language, it isn’t more or less “European” than Germanic languages or Latin languages. There is nothing weird in it, and also having Silesian isn’t weird at all. Just look at Italy with its “dialects”, or Germany, where some “dialects” are pretty much unintelligible with High German.

Anyway.

In Russian there is “onna”, the same as in Polish, “cha” for tea.
“kazan” (volcano) is a city and also a type of frying pan.
“atama” which is close a high ranking Cossack title “ataman” (head) both in meaning and in reading, so it’s useful.
“hachi” (eight) is a plural racial slur for Caucasians and Central Asians (that’s why by the way the movie Hachiko changed “ch” to “t” in the localisation).
“hairu” (enter) is close to the word “haer”, which is sort of a slang word for hair, usually punk hair or something I think.
“yama” (mountain) is “pit”.
“kuchi” (mouth) is “piles”.
“ookisa” (size) sounds like diminutive “oh, kitty”.
“tama” (ball) is “over there”.
“tsuka” always sounds like suka, a swear word, and “tsuki” like the same word plural.
“kaka” always sounds like “poo”.

Don’t remember more now, but there are plenty actually. Like “mochiiru” sounds like “hit woman named Ira”, “warui” (bad) sounds like “to rob” and so on.

6 Likes

Oh, hey! Acho que já te vi em outro tópico, querendo organizar um grupo de Whats de falantes portugueses. Ou me enganei? xD

Haha, I understand! As I said to Yabashiri, sometimes you just think in order to make things easier to learn in English, otherwise, you kind of cut the fluency of it to go back to your mother tongue. It’s awkward! xD
Really? Wow, I haven’t ever heard of that! Most I know about Japanese people being interested in Portuguese is about Joe Inoue hahaha

Ohhh, we do, actually (not in daily conversations or anything, but we’re all familiar with the meaning lol) looool I haven’t ever noticed that. I don’t think it would help me getting to “fish” though, so… Again, I think the mind tends to make connections in order to more easily absorb information, only (thanks, brain :heart:)

Não tinha certeza se escrevia em português ou inglês haha Mas vai que alguém tá interessado? (até porque você escreveu assim xD só fiquei com preguiça de traduzir lá em cima kkkk)

1 Like

iOMG, I didn’t know about 茶 yet! xD Portuguese does have some influence in the Japanese language. I’ve heard that the Portuguese were the ones helping implementing that little circle on sounds like ぱ ぴ ぷ ぺ ぽ o/

I think the word “cha” is Chinese. It got in Russian through Chinese, probably got to Portugal through Portuguese maritime traders which traded in China.

4 Likes

I second this! I always ignore the pronunciation notes that are aimed at English speaking people. The sounds in Japanese are much more similar to Norwegian, so I just use my knowledge from that language instead. The only sounds I have real trouble with are ら、り、る、ろ、れ.

As for the thread at hand… To remember that 出す (だす) means “to remove” I just think about the Norwegian slang word for toilet, which is “dass”. I imagine myself removing literally every problem of my life by flushing it down the toilet.

4 Likes

Haha, sorry! I actually don’t even know about that. I can’t even say I have ever heard Norwegian before xDD It’s just my biased idea that I don’t even know from where I got.
I don’t really like the English pronunciation of vowels, because it’s not a single sound. And there’s that, about it changing depending on the consonant combined with it, too! xD It’s all pretty arbitrary lol
Portuguese ones too :3 It’s pretty comfortable for me, I’d say. I think the Japanese pronunciation stretchs a bit the sound of the vowels, but that’s all?

1 Like