Kaniwani Major Update: 1.3.4!

That is indeed super buggy. If you can remember which vocabulary it was, send it my way, and I will investigate.

1 Like

Hello all!

This is just a message to profusely thank all those who have donated to Kaniwani over the years. You are what keeps the site running, and I deeply appreciate your show of support for the site. @Subversity and I are very thankful that you keep our servers up and running!

4 Likes

Ah, the reason we donā€™t unlock all your previous levels is to prevent information overload. If you logged into Kaniwani for the first time, at level 40, and saw that you had 30000 lessons, you would probably just close the tab and leave :stuck_out_tongue: Sorry for the confusion!

1 Like

Hello! I have a question about reviews. I was told that itā€™s possible to review burned items and recent unlocks. I currently have it set in the settings to review burned items only, but it wonā€™t let me manually unlock recent vocab and KW isnā€™t adding recent unlocks to my review. I would like to review new items and burned items so that I can catch up on my old lessons. If thereā€™s a way to do that, I would greatly appreciate the help. KW has helped me a lot so far! :slight_smile:

Hey there,

It sounds like youā€™re asking for two conflicting states: only recent unlocks (WK Apprentice) and only WK Burned items? The idea is plausible, but the current setup isnā€™t configured for that idea.

The order is:

• Any unlocked items are available as lessons, or reviews if their KW SRS is > 0.
  • If theyā€™re suspended (during review, or on the vocab detail page ā€œEnable/Suspend Reviewā€ then theyā€™re filtered out from queues.
  • Then, everything is filtered further by the ā€œOnly review words at or above WaniKani: SRS_LEVELā€

So if you have that set to burned only, then you wonā€™t be seeing any recent unlocks which are WK Apprentice.

If you actually mean that recently burned WK words are not appearing in your reviews, then there may be an issue.

Can you explain further?

Thank you for getting back to me, and thank you for explaining more about KW. :slight_smile:

I apologize for not explaining very well. I think the best way I can explain what I mean and not waste any of your time is to quote a conversation I had on the thread ā€œhow do/did you learn Japaneseā€. It is a little lengthy, so I apologize for that as well.

I may have misunderstood or overlooked something. I hope you can shed light on the situation. Thank you for your time. :slight_smile:

I have no idea what heā€™s talking about :upside_down_face:
It would be possible to introduce a filter for items lower than x WK srs rank, which could be used in tandem with the current one.

So: only include reviews > [burned] and < [guru]
We have very little spare time at the moment, so it wonā€™t happen necessarily soon.
If we implemented every suggestion weā€™d have a bajillion settings :sweat_smile:
Though I think this is a straightforward enough idea that weā€™d consider it.

Huhā€¦ strangeā€¦ well thank you for clearing this up and for you consideration! It means a lot to me that you took the time to try and help me sort this out. I will continue on with Kaniwani with the burned setting and just enjoy the ride :slight_smile: Thank you again.

1 Like

For what itā€™s worth, I really like using KaniWani this way. The reviews are relatively easy, because in theory I know the items, so it hasnā€™t added a great burden to my reviewing schedule, plus it really helps to consolidate items in your memory (while giving you recall practice instead of course) after youā€™ve burned them and would otherwise only see them again in the wild.

1 Like

å„³ć®äŗŗ I believe.

I agree! The only thing that was bugging me about doing only my burned items was thatā€¦ it would probably take about a year or so after finishing WK to burn all vocab on KW, which adds more time to my language learning. :frowning:

That being said however, I am at peace with it. Because Iā€™m not on a time limit and rushing to finish is only going to hamper my learning. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a small thing, but I find that the KaniWani timeline almost without fail overestimates the period until a particular batch of reviews by one hour. As soon as the time gets within one hour of them appearing, the timeline suddenly recalculates and moves the bar one hour earlier. Not sure who to tag for this - @Subversity?

I think being at peace with not rushing is an excellent attitude ^-^ I also take the view that KW is consolidation rather than learning something entirely new, so itā€™s not like taking longer to do it really holds back my acquisition of new knowledge.

1 Like

Itā€™s not super clear butā€¦

This means that there will be 5 reviews total appearing after 10am and by 11am.
That could be 2 at 10:30, and 3 at 10:45 - you donā€™t know, and you donā€™t need to - go do something else until 11am :stuck_out_tongue:

Not a big thing, but I noticed some ā€œdriftingā€ where a peak of reviews appears say at 5pm and a few hours later the peak is at 4pm. With your description I guess this shouldnā€™t happen?

Probably not :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Ah, I see. I assumed it meant they would arrive from 11am, or at least from half 10.

Still doesnā€™t explain the bars sliding around, but never mind!

(also @Antigone)

Nah, I just had no idea what I was talking about. And/or thereā€™s a bug that I misinterpreted as a feature.
My settings are ā€œonly review items above apprenticeā€ and sync with WK.
I think I got lessons for stuff I just burned when the burn happenedā€¦ (At least, I have some level 1 stuff in my queue as well) :confused:

It seems like in a span of ~10 hours Iā€™ll get 500+ reviews. Like this morning at 2 Am I got it down from a bit over 1000 to a bit over 500, but then when I got home around 12-1 Pm there were over a thousand again. Is this normal? Is there a way I can slow them down?

Lock some levels, is pretty much about it. Did you unlock a whole whack of levels at once?

Like 13 of them, yeah.