KANA Editing

HI,

I hope this hans’t been answered a gazillion times before …

If I enter the reading of some vocab, keyboard input is translated to Kana on the fly.
Only if I want to correct something there is a felt inconsitency:

e.g. I want to write ひろ but mistype and wind up with ひる , I need to type [Backspace] r - o to get the spelling.correct Normally (romaji typing) you would be used to just cancel the last wrong character and replace it with the correct one. eg: ひる [backspace] o would then result in ひろ, but as it is now I get ひお。

This is something I’ve lived with for years now - but over time it gave me loads of unforced errors because I didn’t read what I had written before hitting [enter].

Am I the only one to experience this - or did someone even come up with a solution - e.g. modified keyboard driver?

Thanks

Ralf.

1 Like

Don’t think I’ve ever used an IME that allows you to convert a る to a ろ by just changing the vowel sound. Once it’s committed to a kana, it’s now a single character that can only be dealt with as a whole unit. Same for kanji - once it’s committed, I can’t change a 七 to 室 by changing the last kana, or the last vowel, I’ve gotta delete the whole thing and start over.

If you’ve found an IME that behaves differently to that, it’s definitely not the standard behaviour.

6 Likes

This is normal if you think in the term so alphabets vs kana. Kana are always a consonant + vovel - nearly, so in this light , it’s quite understandable to ask you to type the whole thing for an answer - as it might make you misunderstand how letters/sounds/reading components/??? are construed in Japanese. only a very few select consonants are free elements, that =N. Nothing else is solitary.