New feature: Schedule out your reviews
Are you ever overwhelmed by a massive review backlog? I know that after I take a hiatus and I come back to 500+ reviews, it can be absolutely demoralizing! Either I just keep putting my reviews (and learning) off, or I eventually power through and do them all… only for 400+ to boomerang right back at me over the next few days. Depressing! This is all compounded by the more salient fact that when reviews have piled up, I’ve probably also forgotten a lot of the items by falling off the memorization timing curve that SRS reviews are designed to enable.
So, starting today, you can unclog that backlog and reclaim your review inbox!
Here are some example screens walking through it. Given a large 625 review backlog:
On the new section of the account page:
A confirmation dialog will warn you that this is a destructive action:
The info banner will tell you how many reviews got pushed back over how many days:
And finally, you should see your review queue shrink:
Here’s how this works:
- Say you have 500 reviews that are due
- Under the
Schedule out your reviews section, you set
30 reviews per day you can handle and click
💨 Schedule out
- KameSame will keep
30 of those reviews right where they are, unchanged
500 will be scheduled out, with at most
30 per day
- Crucially, reviews
500 will also be marked as failed, because the fact they piled up probably means you don’t remember them as well as you would have if you were sticking to the SRS timers and reviewing things promptly. I know some of you will hate this—sorry, that’s the rub!
- Because lower SRS stages will boomerang an item back into your queue, scheduling out exactly 30 per day actually isn’t enough to avoid a small avalanche of reviews landing in your inbox again. This feature compensates by actually calculating how many of these reviews would land on any given date if you were to answer them correctly as soon as they became available. That is to say, if
5 SRS stage 1 items are scheduled on day 1, then KameSame knows they could be back as soon as day 3, so it’ll only schedule out (
27 more items for day 3. That’s why in practice it might take 25 days instead of 16 days to spread all 500 items out.
- Scheduling reviews out cannot be undone. Be careful!
- Marking the scheduled-out items as failures isn’t optional and can’t be undone either. Be careful!
- This doesn’t affect any reviews that might be landing tomorrow or the next day. This is only about unclogging the current review backlog. If this tool schedules out 30 reviews to Tuesday and you were separately going to have 10 more land Tuesday anyway, you’ll have
40 total reviews land on Tuesday
The purpose of this feature is to motivate folks overwhelmed by their massive backlog or who want to de-prioritize old reviews and make room for doing some new lessons of new words!